Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 After Market Compensator?

jcc7x7

On 4/18/2021 at 2:31 PM, 10mmdave said:

<<< Man, I don't what I'm doing wrong but lets try this reply thing again !! >>

Yes I'm still making the 929 and 627 Vcomp, George of Revolver Supply is carrying them or you can buy direct from me,

pm me for more info.

The 929 version.

929 Comp-01.jpg

929 Comp-02.jpg

Does that fit the Comp-Tac holster?

4 hours ago, Ted Murphy said:

Does that fit the Comp-Tac holster?

I've seen one person use a clam-shell type holster with this comp, he had to open up the end of the holster to allow the comp to pass thru it,

he did mention the mod was not too difficult.

I have been informed that the optional extra length DAA extension rod is not long enough for those that want to use a muzzle platform on a

929 and my comp, I'm currently coming up with an "S" bent rod that will be long enough and use the stock DAA muzzle platform without having

to use the DAA adapter black that forever seems to be out of stock.

1 hour ago, 10mmdave said:

I have been informed that the optional extra length DAA extension rod is not long enough for those that want to use a muzzle platform on a

929 and my comp, I'm currently coming up with an "S" bent rod that will be long enough and use the stock DAA muzzle platform without having

I 3D printed one of the adapters, which I've been using since the start of this year with no trouble. Wouldn't solve the length issue, though.

11 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

I've seen one person use a clam-shell type holster with this comp, he had to open up the end of the holster to allow the comp to pass thru it,

Thank you!

13 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

What holster do you use with your comp?

1 hour ago, Ted Murphy said:

What holster do you use with your comp?

I use a "Speed Sec"  trigger guard capturing type holster, unfortunately not longer imported into the USA.

A lot of my fellow revo shooters use the DAA holster made just for S&W Revolvers, you can add the muzzle platform

from DAA also if you don't like all that barrel hanging out there but you will need my new extended S rod or my elongated

muzzle platform for the 929 with my comp.

There is also the Guga Ribus Revlver Holster, pricey and I'm not finding it in stock anywhere.

There are some detractors on here about these trigger guard holsters, I've used my Speed Sec for over 20 years and

never had an issue with it, it's all in how you train.

Now those 2 above holsters are the most expensive way to go, a modified Speed Beez or Comp Tac clam shell type still

does a great job and I've seen folks do lightning draws out of them.

Heck even the old Safariland Cup Challenge will work if you don't mind a 1/2 inch of barrel and and 1 3/4 inches of comp

sticking out the end !

5 minutes ago, BadShot said:

What powder do  you use?

Me? I think the comp is useless. So I load a heavy bullet going slow.

But if you want to use a comp you need a light bullet going fast. Probably a slow burning powder like AA#7.

43 minutes ago, BadShot said:

What type of bullet weight/powder load would  you shoot in your 929 to make the comp work effectively?FULL

FULL DISCLOSURE !!  I am not shooting a 929 at this time, I developed the 929 Comp using my brothers 929's

That said I did test a variety of loads thru the design and found that no matter what you ran thru it, it reduced muzzle rise or "flip"

My brother was not a reloader and he shot a ton of Blaser 115 & 124 grn loads thru his guns and with those loads this comp reduces

both "recoil" and Muzzle rise" dramatically, but when you start using tailored re-loads in the 120-125 power factor range the the reduction

is not so dramatic. BUT there is a difference.

We started reloading for his 929 using a 147 grn Berrys round nose over 3.7 grns of 231 giving a PF of approx 128, easy peazy as the bullets

and powder were available around our area at the time and available by bulk over the inter-web and bro needed a static steel load as well as

knockdown power.

First outing with the new loading and we didn't see a huge diff with or without the comp, but after a couple hundred rounds using the comp

and not using the comp we both saw the the gun shot "flatter" AND he was hitting all the plates on the plate rack consistently where without

the comp he would miss a plate or two more times than not.

So, to sum up this long reply, only you and your gun can tell you what to use with this comp, I explain that in the directions that come with the comp.

If your current load is a 170 grn bullet doing 121 PF then you ain't going to see much difference, but you WILL see a difference !!

If your shooting a light bullet at 1100 fps like the poster above shares, then you will see a more dramatic difference.

And, as with all my products, I offer a money back guarantee, I want happy Revo shooters, load knows I ain't in this business to get rich !!

51 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Me? I think the comp is useless. So I load a heavy bullet going slow.

But if you want to use a comp you need a light bullet going fast. Probably a slow burning powder like AA#7.

Did I sell you one of my comps yssracer ??

I so your entitled to a refund if you're not happy.

Edited by 10mmdave

I'm shooting an Open Bianchi gun with a comp. My load is .38 Special case, 6.5 gr. of Power Pistol, Fed . primer and 125 gr. JHP bullet. I'm running about 135 PF, around 1050 to 1100 fps. Groups are 3/8" to 1/2" at 25 yd., 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at 50 yd. out of a Ransom Rest. The recoil and muzzle flip are about the same as a .22. A good part of that is the powder. Auto Comp and Power Pistol are formulated to work in comped guns. With a revo, Auto Comp burns hotter, and will burn your hands on reloads sooner than Power Pistol. The cylinder and barrel get hot sooner with Auto Comp. If shooting 160 gr. bullets, you could probably get similar results running around 850 - 900 fps. (similar power factor).

6 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

I'm shooting an Open Bianchi gun with a comp. My load is .38 Special case, 6.5 gr. of Power Pistol, Fed . primer and 125 gr. JHP bullet. I'm running about 135 PF, around 1050 to 1100 fps. Groups are 3/8" to 1/2" at 25 yd., 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at 50 yd. out of a Ransom Rest. The recoil and muzzle flip are about the same as a .22. A good part of that is the powder. Auto Comp and Power Pistol are formulated to work in comped guns. With a revo, Auto Comp burns hotter, and will burn your hands on reloads sooner than Power Pistol. The cylinder and barrel get hot sooner with Auto Comp. If shooting 160 gr. bullets, you could probably get similar results running around 850 - 900 fps. (similar power factor).

Love the Power Pistol for comp action, though the "bang" or report always seems much louder for the same power factor ??

3/8 and 1/2 inch groups !!  You Bianchi guys kill me, I never come close to 2-3 inches when I try hard, props to you.

Yes, there is a lot of flash and bang, but hardly any recoil. No one could ever think those are powder puff loads, they sound more like magnums.

Those groups are from a Ransom rest. I can't do nearly that when holding the gun. (Sigh)

2 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Did I sell you one of my comps yssracer ??

I so your entitled to a refund if you're not happy.

No, I was referring to the factory single port comp. It's useless.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, ysrracer said:

No, I was referring to the factory single port comp. It's useless.

Ah yes, we discussed those in another thread I believe, nice bling I guess but what were the folks at S&W thinking 😆

On 7/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, BadShot said:

I have some AutoComp and a lot of AA7, will AA7 work okay in a comped revolver?

Only way to tell is try BadShot, anything can work or not work.

I just had a customer send back his 627 comp because he was getting 18 inch groups at 25 yrds !!

Without the comp he was getting 3-4 inch groups.

I get the comp back, inspect it (no issues), put it on my 627 and off to the range.

Everything I run through it (lite ICORE or knockdown loads) print fine with or without the comp ?

Go back home and load some heavier loads, back to the range, still no issues.

Guess my comp doesn't like his load of N350 and 158 grn Xtreme bullets !

Now AutoComp should be a good powder but it depends on the charge weight and bullet weight.

Actually, I believe one of the local shooters here uses Autocomp, I should see them tomorrow.

Edited by 10mmdave

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 2:31 PM, 10mmdave said:

<<< Man, I don't what I'm doing wrong but lets try this reply thing again !! >>

Yes I'm still making the 929 and 627 Vcomp, George of Revolver Supply is carrying them or you can buy direct from me,

pm me for more info.

The 929 version.

929 Comp-01.jpg

929 Comp-02.jpg

Dave,

What bullet weight and/ or velocity work best on the 929 comp to be effective. 

9 hours ago, gpeters said:

Dave,

I've found high velocity light weight bullets expelling a lot of gases work best.

19 hours ago, gpeters said:

Dave,

As ysrracer stated, lite weight bullets going fast work the best for reduced muzzle flip, different powders can add to that.

13 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

As ysrracer stated, lite weight bullets going fast work the best for reduced muzzle flip, different powders can add to that.

For non-compensated guns the lighter the powder charge the better, as it influences the ejecta, and faster powders can give a better recoil impulse.

In compensated guns you want a longer volume of expanding gasses.  So a slower burning powder with heavier charges leaves more expanding gasses at the comp to work it more effectively.

22 hours ago, pskys2 said:

For non-compensated guns the lighter the powder charge the better, as it influences the ejecta, and faster powders can give a better recoil impulse.

In compensated guns you want a longer volume of expanding gasses.  So a slower burning powder with heavier charges leaves more expanding gasses at the comp to work it more effectively.

In theory, yes. Shooting minor, I don't know how much of this matters. My 627 holds A zone to at least 50 yards, and ICORE X ring to probably 30. I'm more concerned about accuracy and function than recoil.

10 minutes ago, PatJones said:

In theory, yes. Shooting minor, I don't know how much of this matters. My 627 holds A zone to at least 50 yards, and ICORE X ring to probably 30. I'm more concerned about accuracy and function than recoil.

Couldn't agree more.  Theory always gives to reality.