Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoke Handguard uninstall


Recommended Posts

I have a Jp GMR-15 with a smoke composite handguard. I am trying to put a new JP handguard on it but cannot remove the Smoke “trunion”. I am the second owner so I am uncertain as to how the trunion was put on. Does anyone have experience with these handguards? I’ve tried to contact the mfg, but no reply yet. 
 

Link to post

It comes of with a regular open end wrench.  It is 1 1/4" if memory serves.  When I got mine I had to run down to the hardware store to buy one.

Link to post
1 minute ago, zzt said:

It comes of with a regular open end wrench.  It is 1 1/4" if memory serves.  When I got mine I had to run down to the hardware store to buy one.

Does it need heat? Would someone put threadlocker on it? 

Link to post

No heat required.  I don't know why anyone would put thread locker on it.  You are supposed to tighten to 50 pounds, so there is no way it will loosen by accident.

Link to post
50 minutes ago, zzt said:

No heat required.  I don't know why anyone would put thread locker on it.  You are supposed to tighten to 50 pounds, so there is no way it will loosen by accident.

Thanks man. Came of with wrench and my weight. Looks like there was thread locker on it. 👍🏼

Link to post
1 hour ago, zzt said:

That was silly.  Why are you going back to a JP handguard?

I’m wanting to shoot a stock JP in matches because It’s a bit heavier than the ultra-lightweight build I already have. Im hoping to improve my times with the JP. Maybe I’ll get less dot movement with the extra weight. 🍻

Link to post

My Leadstar is right at 5 lbs. 4 oz. with Railway attached.  I found that using 147s at 985 fps resulted in zero dot bounce.  With any lower PF or lighter bullet the dot moves.

Link to post

I have a stock upper taccom ulw 5” barreled 9mm pcc w/o comp, 4# non-competition ar15 Sigsauer 5.56trigger, w/ not so small dot bounce. But my 18yo son can shoot it consistently w/ .15-.16 splits out to 15y all A hits on ipsc turtle targets.  Out to 20-25y in .20s splits. Makes me wonder at times how much more he would gain in speed w/ a no-dot-bounce pcc’s and hair triggers installed. I taught him how to shoot so I think I know how he got there, but its more him than me. He trains w/ me regularly in live fire, dont dry fire, and not so serious in his shooting. Goes to local matches only in his free times and if he feels like going. Nothing to brag about but when he does go, he beats the local hot shots most of the time overall and has the fastest times in almost all stages. But the competitor field here is not yet as thick as yours. I believe its more of a software thing than due to dot bounce😉 so I leave the taccom set up alone. 

Link to post
38 minutes ago, zzt said:

My Leadstar is right at 5 lbs. 4 oz. with Railway attached.  I found that using 147s at 985 fps resulted in zero dot bounce.  With any lower PF or lighter bullet the dot moves.

Good, I’m glad you brought the PF issue up.  My leadstar weighs in just a tad lower than that and I’m shooting 115 fmj at 850avg. FPS. (Steel challenge load)

The dot does move a bit and I always wondered if it was the low PF not taking advantage of the comp or maybe the gun was too light or both.

But the gun, with that hand-load and me made GM in a year and now I don’t want to muck with it at all 😉

Now, with the JP setup, I have a heavier gun, big comp and 1000avg. FPS 115 fmj hand-load. I’ve kind of plateaued right now and I’m hoping the new gun will help shave some seconds off my times. Thoughts welcome and thanks again for the tip on the CF trunion.

 

Link to post
15 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

I have a stock upper taccom ulw 5” barreled 9mm pcc w/o comp, 4# non-competition ar15 Sigsauer 5.56trigger, w/ not so small dot bounce. But my 18yo son can shoot it consistently w/ .15-.16 splits out to 15y all A hits on ipsc turtle targets.  Out to 20-25y in .20s splits. Makes me wonder at times how much more he would gain in speed w/ a no-dot-bounce pcc’s and hair triggers installed. I taught him how to shoot so I think I know how he got there, but its more him than me. He trains w/ me regularly in live fire, dont dry fire, and not so serious in his shooting. Goes to local matches only in his free times and if he feels like going. Nothing to brag about but when he does go, he beats the local hot shots most of the time overall and has the fastest times in almost all stages. But the competitor field here is not yet as thick as yours. I believe its more of a software thing than due to dot bounce😉 so I leave the taccom set up alone. 

You could have stopped at 18yo. 😂

 

Link to post
35 minutes ago, DPA said:

You could have stopped at 18yo. 😂

 

Could have should have ya but 😎 i see youre a gm so i guess you know everything about pcc 🤔 and i dont do pcc

Link to post
9 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Could have should have ya but 😎 i see youre a gm so i guess you know everything about pcc 🤔 and i dont do pcc

Nah. I don’t know much, that’s why I ask questions. I just meant your son is 18 years old. It was supposed to be humorous. 😂= funny.

He’s got natural talent and young in age. I wish I had both of those!
Cheers 

Link to post
1 minute ago, DPA said:

Nah. I don’t know much, that’s why I ask questions. I just meant your son is 18 years old. It was supposed to be humorous. 😂= funny.

He’s got natural talent and young in age. I wish I had both of those!
Cheers 

No worries, no offense. We are on opposite sides of the earth. I was just sharing notes. You are already a gm and looking on the hardware for advantage. My view is the opposite. While we can do a lot on our guns to get any perceived advantage, we at times fail to see and harness the tremendous abilities we have  that are far more advantageous than any hardware can give. The gun can only be as good but can never be better than the shooter.

My son doesnt have any talent. I started him in pistols coz I shoot hg. He could not shoot it straight no matter what. I tried pcc on him and was so ordinary but can hit his targets. Due to his difficulties in hg he found pcc easier so he got interested. I gave him guidance and motivation and he responds beautifully although he is not serious on it. 
Im 60yo, 18yrs in ipsc hg, as much as I wanted to be better if not best, I do not see the game/returns worth my investment in my side of the globe. Besides i started too late in this sport. 

Good luck and stay focused 😊

Link to post
59 minutes ago, egd5 said:

Wrong BoyGlock, My gun is a lot better than me. It just needs a more capable operator.

You are correct in your point of view, and just different from mine. Neither is wrong. 

The best gun in the world in your hands can only shoot as good but never better than you. You can have all the gizmos in your gun to make you shoot your best but at the end of the day you only shot it to your abilities.


This is the selling but deceiving idea why sponsored shooters should be top tier ones to make his guns look better or best vs the competing brands. Now that Eric G. shoots a cz, many migrated to the platform but cannot shoot like or even close to Eric. So is it the gun or the shooter thats performing best?

 

What i meant was, we can only do so much to our guns to be the best gun there is. But our human ability is far more superior and limitless. So why keep on looking in our guns?

Edited by BoyGlock
Link to post
20 hours ago, DPA said:

I have a Jp GMR-15 with a smoke composite handguard. I am trying to put a new JP handguard on it but cannot remove the Smoke “trunion”. I am the second owner so I am uncertain as to how the trunion was put on. Does anyone have experience with these handguards? I’ve tried to contact the mfg, but no reply yet. 
 

My apologies for my off topic posts @DPA

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...