Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm VV Powder

cbrussell

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My recollection is that VV 330 is closer to the burn rate of AA#5, so a slower burning powder than VV320. In fact, I recall that one local open shooter even tried it in his open loads and really liked it. Of course, that was many years ago. 😂 

I too, use VV320 in everything from 9 minor to 40 major and like the performance very much.

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

N320.  Is there a reason to use any of the others?  Like 330, 340 and 350.  All I see is extra powder cost for....?

They get slower as the number goes up. 350 is fairly common open powder too

Is there a specific  reason someone would be willing to pay extra for a slower powder in regular 9mm?

I'm just going through load development for 3N38.  Holy shockwave batman!  and that is only 155pf, I'm going to end up over 10gr by the time I'm done.

I've used 4.2 gr of N320 with a 125 gr Zero jacketed bullet as my go to 9mm minor load for years. It has chrono'ed at several level 2 and level 3 matches with my Glock 17 CO gun (Jarvis barrel) at 133.5 - 133.7 pf and over 134 pf out of my G34 with a BarSto barrel. The last time, the RM (also a USPSA NROI instructor) gave me a hard time about making minor before chrono'ing, so I bet him that it would make it and would be just short of 134 PF - made 133.7 pf out of the G17. Naturally, he just made a face and steadfastly refused to pay up! 😀

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Is there a specific  reason someone would be willing to pay extra for a slower powder in regular 9mm?

Slower powders tend to be more accurate for the precision games.   NRA precision pistol(Bullseye).

NRA action pistol( Bianchi Cup). Just Two examples.         They also are lower round count

games.

9 minutes ago, AHI said:

Slower powders tend to be more accurate for the precision games.   NRA precision pistol(Bullseye).

NRA action pistol( Bianchi Cup). Just Two examples.         They also are lower round count

games.

Gonna have to disagree with this.  Bullseye + H&G 68 was THE load for bullseye competition for many years.  And BE powder is near the very top of the chart for burn rate.  I have test targets with 1/2" 5-shot groups at 25 yards to back it up.

Just now, ltdmstr said:

Gonna have to disagree with this.  Bullseye + H&G 68 was THE load for bullseye competition for many years.  And BE powder is near the very top of the chart for burn rate.  I have test targets with 1/2" 5-shot groups at 25 yards to back it up.

9mm not 45acp

50 minutes ago, OSP737 said:

I've enjoyed reading through the above posts, but where the heck do you find VV powder.  I haven't seen much of it for two years, and what little I had is about gone.

It turns up more often than the AA7 I want for 9 major.  I've seem 4 lb. jugs in stock and for sale at least twice this year.  I have gobs of it I'm using up for 9 minor.

8 hours ago, Furrly said:

How do like this powder for 9 major 

I've been using 3N37since it was recommended to me 4 years ago. Haven't changed since. Medium high and clean burn rate, doesn't leave a lot of carbon behind in the gun. With the small size of the powder grain also easy to reload with.

2 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I've been using 3N37since it was recommended to me 4 years ago. Haven't changed since. Medium high and clean burn rate, doesn't leave a lot of carbon behind in the gun. With the small size of the powder grain also easy to reload with.

Thanks.. They say it makes the gun run hot, any truth to that??