Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Five inches, because size matters

ysrracer

They call me goldilocks. Four inches was too short, six inches was too long, five inches is just right. 

Check out my new five inch 617 (627 on top for reference)

IMG-20210412-092655683.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

Beautiful piece.  I have often said that if I were to ever totally master the double action revolver pull it will be because of my 617.  If I wear mine out before I do (or die) it would be replaced with one like this

4 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Great looking revolver.  Did you do the work yourself?

No, I wanted it done correctly :)

There's a machinist here that does a lot of work for gunsmiths. All he did was shorten the barrel, and bead blast the finish.

I had such a bad experience with the tractor mechanic in Phoenix, I'm glad I found this guy.

Thanks guys.

I should add it's a Bowen block installed up front with an SDM Super Sight .250 high x .125 wide.

617 factory sights are really low, so with the taller front sight I installed a .196 tall rear blade, with the notch width opened up to .150.

That coupled with a 7lb double action trigger pull, it's a sweet shooter.

2 hours ago, Rob5r said:

Can you share the gunsmith info?  I'm looking to have the nub cut off my 929 and install a bowen block after the east coast regionals.

If you are shooting the east coast regional see if Mark Hartshorne is there. He is the owner of Pinnacle Custom and he could do the work for you. Plus it would save you shipping one way

4 hours ago, Rob5r said:

Can you share the gunsmith info?  I'm looking to have the nub cut off my 929 and install a bowen block after the east coast regionals.

If all you're doing is cutting off the nub, you don't need the Bowen block installed. You only need it if you're shortening the barrel.

The guy that did it is a local So Cal machinist. He doesn't have an FFL, so he took off the barrel, and I kept the frame.

He does the machine work for a few other gunsmiths, and he's really an artist.

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

If all you're doing is cutting off the nub, you don't need the Bowen block installed. You only need it if you're shortening the barrel.

The guy that did it is a local So Cal machinist. He doesn't have an FFL, so he took off the barrel, and I kept the frame.

He does the machine work for a few other gunsmiths, and he's really an artist.

I'm going to the Bowen so I can do a DX front sight.