Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol primers in 9mm major

jsoupene

I have always heard and have used small rifle primers in my 9mm major pistol because of harder cup.  Due to primer shortage what is everyone's opinion on using small pistol primers? 

16 minutes ago, jsoupene said:

I have always heard and have used small rifle primers in my 9mm major pistol because of harder cup.  Due to primer shortage what is everyone's opinion on using small pistol primers? 

I have run CCI SPP with zero issues. PF stayed nearly identical as well

I've never run SRPs in 9 major.  Mostly CCI 500s.  Never a problem.  I've been told a couple of times by manufacturer's reps that the priming for both is identical.  The only difference is the harder cup on the SRP. This doesn't apply to LPRs and LPPs.

Used SPP with both 115 and 124 gr major loads. In conjunction with Silhouette and now Major Pistol.

I switched to SP magnum primers for my major loads, but the difference is negligible. Maybe a touch better accuracy and cleaner burn. Maybe. SDs and ESs were low with all varieties of primers.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, jsoupene said:

I have shot open for ~17 years and only used WSP. No issues. 

8 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

I prefer SRP, but SPP work just as well. Have heard some SPP can cause breach face erosion, but have not experienced it personally. 

I thought that was the other way around? 

Rifle primers do it because the cup is too hard and doesnt seal to the case when fired. 

8 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I thought that was the other way around? 

Rifle primers do it because the cup is too hard and doesnt seal to the case when fired. 

I have seen a couple cases of this. 9 Major and 40 Major