Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic cleaner question

I have a PT grip on my gun and it gets caked in sh*t throughout the season. I usually take a brass brush and go to town on it but I can’t keep up and is a pain. It never gets fully clean because it’s so gummed up. 

if I get a ultrasonic cleaner, will this take care of the issue?  If so, does brand matter? I’ve seen harbor freight has a inexpensive one for sale. 

I am not familiar with the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner specifications. I use a repurposed dental office ultrasonic cleaner. Ultrasonic cleaners work via cavitation, and I have found that items still need to be brushed to loosen dirt. Also the solution should be hot. I use an emersion heater since my unit does not have a built in heater. That said the cleaning is very deep and complete.

I bought this 10 liter ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon for $136 2 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/ROVSUN-Ultrasonic-Professional-Mechanical-Eyeglasses/dp/B07F5TG2SJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8

I bought the mechanical timer model because it would be easier to fix or modify if it breaks.  The only disadvantage is the heater control isn't on a timer and doesn't shut off automatically when the timer stops.

I tried the purple colored Simple Green, but it did not work as well as either Hornady One Shot ultrasonic cleaning solution concentrate or Lyman Turbo ultrasonic cleaning concentrate solution.  Both have worked very well and have not damaged any aluminum, blued steel or plastic.  I threw a dis-assembled older clear 10/22 magazine in for 10 minutes at about 100 degrees.  It came out very clean with no damage.

This thing has been great for cleaning 10/22, 15-22 bolts and for my MPX bolt, gas system parts, and upper receiver.

5 hours ago, Degnan said:

Any idea how often you need to change out the cleaning solution?

I just strain out the chunks in mine and let it settle in a separate jug. When I have another project then I just pour off the top from the jug. When it just doesn’t seem to be doing the job or really grungy  I change it. You can also do small parts in smaller jars and just use water in the main tank with soap in the sealed jar with the parts. It keeps your tank cleaner and you use less soap. 

I use Slip2000 ultrasonic cleaning solution, both the premixed and concentrate. It is water based and safe for all firearms. You should not use the ultrasonic cleaner for constant cleaning of the firearm - just periodically. HK warns that too much ultrasonic cleaning can remove the painted markings on the gun. Be careful to use a firearms approved solution. Some home brews can remove bluing as a prior poster indicated. As for solution life - I to let the used solution settle then pour off the upper solution at the next use and discard the contaminates. I prefer the concentrated cleaner solution so I can top up the woking solution. All and all I really like the ultrasonic cleaner for firearms. I do each gun once or twice a year ( but I no longer shoot competitively). I recently cleaned a 100 year old Colt Hammerless. It took a century of crude off the gun.

2 hours ago, jeffz said:

I use Slip2000 ultrasonic cleaning solution, both the premixed and concentrate. It is water based and safe for all firearms. You should not use the ultrasonic cleaner for constant cleaning of the firearm - just periodically. HK warns that too much ultrasonic cleaning can remove the painted markings on the gun. Be careful to use a firearms approved solution. Some home brews can remove bluing as a prior poster indicated. As for solution life - I to let the used solution settle then pour off the upper solution at the next use and discard the contaminates. I prefer the concentrated cleaner solution so I can top up the woking solution. All and all I really like the ultrasonic cleaner for firearms. I do each gun once or twice a year ( but I no longer shoot competitively). I recently cleaned a 100 year old Colt Hammerless. It took a century of crude off the gun.

How much does the concentrate make? I looked at their site and it doesn’t show the ratio of the concentre. 

Edited by Farmer

The dilution rate is on the web site.

As a Cleaner

• Use in ultrasonic cleaners
  • Dilution rate - Ready to use
  • Temperature range - Ambient / Room temperature to 180°F (up to 71°C)
  • Ultrasonic cycles: 5-15 minutes depending on machine, parts and lubricant used
  • Rinse, wipe down or blow off and apply a Slip 2000 Gun Lubricant