Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer punch assembly 1100 Issues

Hi

the primer punch in my 1100 became stuck in the up position. The shell plate stopped indexing, went looking for problem and found punch was sticking up thru the primer slide.

https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon-rl1100-manual.pdf

see page 67 for schematic of parts  4,6,5.

Removed shell plate, removed primer punch bushing, spring and punch, and also the cam, tapper etc. cleaned all etc. 

reassembled.  

seemed to work. Then on the third or fourth stroke the punch again became stuck in the up position.

pulled it all apart again and now the punch (4) and spring were frozen again in the up position. Had to tap the punch down w a piece of wood to get the slotted screw driver on to the bushing. Then had to tap primer punch out the bottom by using a brass punch and small hammer. i see no damage to any part. The punch looks fine, as does interior of press where it is inserted to meet the rocker arm (2). BUT the punch will not slide into the press, either thru top where bushing is screwed on or thru. ottom where it is striked by the rocker arm.  Thoughts anyone?

Edited by midatlantic

How many rounds through it prior to this point?

With 20/20 hindsight any indications there was a problem brewing there?

The fit of the punch to the frame is not terribly close; there should be a slight amount of wiggle room there.

When was the last time that area was deep cleaned?

Edit to add: Ok, I see you cleaned it so disregard last question. 🙂

Edited by ddc

part #4 bent?     Press out of time?     Page 60  indexer damaged?

Don't start a new thread with related information. Makes it hard to know what is going on.

Therefore causing much confusion when trying to diagnose your problem.   Cause and effect.

Cause press out of time. Effect bent part #4.   

8 hours ago, midatlantic said:

And a second problem, see post on primer punch, is that the handle has become mushy at the end of the downstroke - a bit bouncy and not a firm end to the downstroke. All thoughts welcome

Check that a die has not been screwed in too far.  If it is running into the shell plate the stroke will feel abnormal.

well, my best guess is that somehow the rocker arm that pushes the punch up somehow peened the frame where the bottom of the punch contacts the rocker arm. Thats where the punch is sticking. So, plan is to take a small file and carefully! apply it to the circumference of the frame.   Will be very gentle and test often. Anyone want to tell me why not?

1 hour ago, midatlantic said:

well, my best guess is that somehow the rocker arm that pushes the punch up somehow peened the frame where the bottom of the punch contacts the rocker arm. Thats where the punch is sticking. So, plan is to take a small file and carefully! apply it to the circumference of the frame.   Will be very gentle and test often. Anyone want to tell me why not?

What about getting a second opinion from Dillon about this operation prior to performing the elective surgery?

Does the mushy feeling handle happen without a case in the priming station? Did you adjust your own primer depth setting? Even if its a factory setting I would double check it or just back it out and creep back onto what works for you and your brass. 

Yep, the mushiness was the primer setting, too deep. I have found that if you pull off the tool head and take out the plate etc. you have to go back and check and then readjust many of the settings. Maybe it’s me, and it could well be, but I’ve been a little surprised at how easily the press gets out of adjustment. The 650 is more consistent and in that way seems more robust. 

as for the sticking primer punch Dillon said use a file on the  circumference at the exit wheee it was sticking, which I did, carefully, a thin round file, non aggressive grit, and then ran the punch up and down a few dozen times w 600 grit rubbing compound. Fixed. Why it happened after 4,000 rounds remains a mystery. 

Edited by midatlantic

• 2 years later...

I have suddenly started having this issue after 15-20K rounds.  Can you say how well your fix has worked now that some time has passed?

Like you, it seems odd that it would work fine then suddenly get the heebie-jeebies for no reason.  I am somewhat unhappy to take a file to this without knowing what/why…

1 hour ago, Brufallo said:

I have suddenly started having this issue after 15-20K rounds.  Can you say how well your fix has worked now that some time has passed?

Like you, it seems odd that it would work fine then suddenly get the heebie-jeebies for no reason.  I am somewhat unhappy to take a file to this without knowing what/why…

How long has it been since you tore down the top end, deep clean, lubricate?

Most of my problems go away after I do that.

If you haven't done that in 15-20k rounds then it is past due.

9 hours ago, Brufallo said:

I have suddenly started having this issue after 15-20K rounds.

Did you check the primer punch rocker, its bolt and the down plunger? It’s not uncommon for the rocker bolt to come loose or for dirt to get into plunger channel/hole. These parts need to be greased occasionally, especially if your brass is a bit dirty. 

My fix worked, and hasn't reoccured. That said I still have episodes where the primer seating depth has to be unexpectedly readjusted, usually because it is leaving the primers high. I keep the press and various linkages clean and can't point to what specifically throws it off. There may be a lot of stacking, where one small adjustment leads to another etc etc. Also I'm now using a Mk 7 drive, so the no doubt has an impact. 

6 hours ago, midatlantic said:

My fix worked, and hasn't reoccured. That said I still have episodes where the primer seating depth has to be unexpectedly readjusted, usually because it is leaving the primers high. I keep the press and various linkages clean and can't point to what specifically throws it off. There may be a lot of stacking, where one small adjustment leads to another etc etc. Also I'm now using a Mk 7 drive, so the no doubt has an impact. 

Interesting. I can't remember the last time I had a problem I could identify as a seating depth issue. 

I sort for headstamps and batch reload as much of a given headstamp as I have on hand at that point in time.

I go from Blazer to FC to S&B to RP to Win, etc. and never worry about adjusting seating depth.

1 hour ago, midatlantic said:

I don’t sort, but reload 9mm 40sw and 45. Think it only happens when I’m loading 9mm, tho that makes no particular sense. 

a head scratcher for sure