Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Delta Point Micro Came in This Morning

CenTX

My DeltaPoint Micro came in this morning and I mounted it on my Glock 48, standard sight model, not the MOS.

Mounting was pretty straight forward, one thing I noted was 25 inch pounds of torque is more than I thought.

The dovetail piece that the sight screws fasten to seemed loose, but (per Leupold) the 25 inch pounds create a press fit. It seems plenty tight.

The dot tunnel part of the DP Micro is .84" and the G48 slide is .86", so that part is slimmer than the slide. The battery compartment is about .9 inches making it wider than the slide, noticeable by feel, but not really noticeable in use.

First Impressions, I am a 73 year old "C" Class USPSA and an IDPA Sharpshooter.

So far, I have only Dry Fired. The sight picture is very "DIFFERENT" for the first few presentations, but I quickly adapted to

it. I have been shooting an SRO on an M&P 5" CORE.  I'll shoot both guns this weekend and compare the results.

Drawing from a Comp-Tac International holster, I do not notice the battery compartment hanging off the back of the gun.

CenTX

DP Micro on 48 side.jpg

DP Micro on 48 top.jpg

deltapoint_micro_manual_v2.pdf

thumbnail_IMG_0607.thumb.jpg.5b716e020161a624667f3663de38c3df.jpgNot really up for shooting yesterday, but wanted to try the new sight and get a few rounds down the new G48.

Even in bright sunlight the dot is very bright, had to lower it several notches. Once set it stays on that setting. The front sight occupies a lot of the window.

The DeltaPoint Micro 3 MOA on my G48 is very different from my SRO 5 MOA 5" M&P .  After 50 rounds, I can say I will need more time/rounds to make a decision on the Micro.

Slow fire the Micro worked very well. At speed, 10 yards, I was having trouble on follow up shots to the head circle on an IDPA target, the circle seemed to be covered by the ring of the Micro. Maybe I was looking at the dot and not the target. The big window on the SRO is very forgiving, the tiny widow on the Micro does not give much room for alignment error. On most draws the dot was there, but not always, so I was sometimes hunting for the dot, might be the different grip angle on the Glock, which is a training issue. Pairs on the A-Zone/-0 were good, Bill Drill I was stringing vertically.

It's going to take some getting used to and more trips to the range. I'll dry fire this week and try to get to the range again next week.

More random thoughts as I ponder this. This might be it, for me at least. Due to the small size of the window, See photo, the micro is obscuring part of the area I focus when aiming my SRO and iron sights and my old and slow mind is just telling me this is not right and so I am more befuddled the normal. The front sight with the white dot taking up so much of the glass may also add to my mind saying "this is not what I am supposed to see". Might black out or remove the front sight and see what that does.

Edited by CenTX
add new thoughts & add pic

Some observations as I try to figure things out. Been doing dry fire in my workshop, which has four LED tube lights hanging on chains from the ceiling. Depending on what I am doing they may not all be on. I am using a Riposte-3 target and have added some bright orange, stick on target dots of various sizes outside the silhouette. I have put white tape over the glass on my SRO on the M&P and the DeltaPoint Micro on the Glock 48. So I am working with big glass and small glass and two different grip angles.

My target focus is not what it should be or what I thought it was. My SRO/M&P performs well for me on well lighted targets, my focus is on the target. However, if some lights are off and part of the target is in shadow my focus changes to the dot. With the tape over the SRO the 1" target dot disappears in shadow if I am not concentrating on the target. The DP Micro/Glock, in bright light and the glass covered works if my presentation is good. Since the Glock and sight are both new to me, my presentation is not always what it should be, if the dot is not there I search for it and since the glass has tape, the orange target dot disappears. The small window in an enclosed tube is not as bright as the SRO, so this happens more with the Micro/Glock combination. Once I lose the target, the small widow with a thick edge all around the window dominates my vision and I am slow to get target focus back.

It has been several years since an eye exam and the Doc said I was developing cataracts and so that may be influencing this as well. Definitely need to get my eyes checked.

Shooting SRO/M&P in IDPA matches, I am consistently in the top third, with iron sights I am in the middle. For me, I think it will take a good bit of practice to do that with the Micro/Glock.  Not knocking the Micro, but for me it is more of a challenge and I am disappointed in my ability.

No, I'm not interested in selling it. 🙂