Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwells for Production and Carry Optics?

Hello, what are your thoughts on a magwell for Production and Carry Optics? For production it would still have to fit the box and make weight. For Carry Optics it would just have to make weight. I think this would be a good progression since it would help save the grip funnel on plastic pistols and also a place to add weight to them as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Eric

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, No new rule changes. We have already made both Divisions into limited lite. The time to stop changing them was 2 rule changes ago 

20 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, what are your thoughts on a magwell for Production and Carry Optics? For production it would still have to fit the box and make weight. For Carry Optics it would just have to make weight. I think this would be a good progression since it would help save the grip funnel on plastic pistols and also a place to add weight to them as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Eric

I think it'd be a good progression toward eliminating production, since that'd pretty much be Limited 10. 

We were talking about this at the range last week. Eventually will be carbine, unlimited and limited divisions

I don't know if it's a troll or not, but I like the idea. I used to be a "leave production alone and carry Ops should be open" guy, but as time goes on I care less and just enjoy having fun.  And magwells are more fun than not magwells.

And if magwells are never legal that's fine with me too

i need a rule clarification.....

I have a 320 max for carry optics. 

It looks like I can keep the factory mag well that came on the gun.

Am I reading this right?

I don't want to get bumped to open.

3 minutes ago, Tubguy said:

i need a rule clarification.....

I have a 320 max for carry optics. 

It looks like I can keep the factory mag well that came on the gun.

Am I reading this right?

I don't want to get bumped to open.

Have to take it off or shoot  open

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

This is a troll, right?  We're being trolled right now, right?

But I bet it happens eventually

No 

Hello, I think magwells would be a great addition and makes alot more sense to me than inside the crotch holsters and lights. Or upping the weight limit to extreme amounts so certain pistols can play. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

We were talking about this at the range last week. Eventually will be carbine, unlimited and limited divisions

Agreed 100%. Would make everything WAY more simple to know if you are ok for your chosen division. 

As far as magwells I would have thought they would have made them legal with this last rule change. Their stated reason for doing those changes was to allow people to run their carry setup and not be bumped to open automatically. Most people I know run some type of magwell on their carry gun. I know I do on my G19 and P320 x carry. 

I've always thought we will eventually just have a rifle, dot and no dot divisions. Not saying I agree with it, just where I think we will be in 5-10 years.

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I think magwells would be a great addition and makes alot more sense to me than inside the crotch holsters and lights. Or upping the weight limit to extreme amounts so certain pistols can play. Thanks, Eric

crotch holsters and lights are actually used by people for practical purposes. I know zero people that carry a gun with the extra weight and bulk of a magwell, but maybe there are some folks in bad neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure if 14 rounds isn't enough, a reload isn't going to help much, so I don't carry an extra mag on my person.

Ditto on magwells for carry or duty guns. I am politely skeptical of that. 

This thing of never ending rule changes to placate sub-sub-subsets of shooters is tiresome. 

It was some time ago, I think five years at least, one of the members running for either one of the areas or the prez was asked to list some of the things about USPSA that were important to them.

It was one of the interviews in Frontsight.

I remember "stability of the rulebook" as being the answer.

That now seems like a very long time ago.

9 hours ago, B_RAD said:

This is a troll, right?  We're being trolled right now, right?

But I bet it happens eventually

I know Eric. Great machinist.  Solid guy. NO troll. 

To be honest in CO what does it matter?  You typically have only one reload during a course of fire. For production I could understand NOT allowing magwells due to the fact there are so many reloads in a course of fire and is considered “part” of the game at obtaining a consistent reload as a skill to be competitive.  With that said it would seem the way things are headed is a carbine, a dot, and a non dot division. 

I’ve seen a lot of people’s carry rigs posted on other sites, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a magwell. Seems completely adverse to the “concealed“ half of concealed carry. Most folks I know who carry don’t even carry a spare mag. 

As someone who otherwise leans more toward the “tactical Timmy” side, I believe the USPSA has miss-judged the market if the move toward lights is intended to bring additional shooters in. Anyone wanted to compete in USPSA, and who had a carry gun with a light, could’ve been competing this whole time just by taking the light off. It’s not like they’re welded on. The divisions are plenty inclusive now; the idea that we need to change the rules to allow more people “access” will end up doing nothing than further diluting, and eventually eliminating, the differences between production/CO and limited/open. 

Edited by Eric802
1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

I know Eric. Great machinist.  Solid guy. NO troll. 

Was just joking about the thread being a goof. 

I agree with this proposal.  I pretty much agree with anything now because at this point it doesn't freaking matter.  I'd also suggest allowing 22LR in Production as well. Because WTF not?

Hello, my thought on this is that some companies already sell their pistols with a magwell installed. Why not allow it for the rest of the companies. A flashlight on the frame to me is just super gaming it. Wait till we see the tungsten flashlight with the mercury insert. Having seen some Glocks that were dry fired alot the bottom of the magwell looks like a dog chewed on it. A magwell would stop most of that. Lastly who has a carry pistol that weights 50ozs with an empty magazine? Thanks, Eric