Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting steel poppers

You have to be aware of the rebound patterns of shot which change based on the types of poppers.  And that pattern will change based on where you shoot the popper from....

At a certain range in NC, parking is just outside the bays.  I would back my truck up to unload my gear for the monthly SASS match.  When the match was over, every month the bed of my truck would be filled with shot.  It would hit the small spring-loaded Larue style poppers, rebound high over the shooters, and the fall pattern was over the parking lot.

11 hours ago, gunner40sw said:

What is the Minimum distance that a popper should be engaged using 12 gauge with  7 and a half or #8 shot.Thanks

We shot IDPA style matches with shotguns in similar fashion on plates. We followed the rule of a 12 yards minimum and were good. The IDPA standard is 10 yards for steel and I think similar for USPSA.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:09 AM, Zincwarrior said:

We shot IDPA style matches with shotguns in similar fashion on plates. We followed the rule of a 12 yards minimum and were good. The IDPA standard is 10 yards for steel and I think similar for USPSA.

Actually... the minimum distance, specified by USPSA (refer to Rule 2.1.3), for shotgun plates or poppers is 19'.  Well under the 10 yards noted above.  We use the minimum distance specified by USPSA for handgun (26') as the standard for shotgun birdshot minimum distance... and this is only if we can't reach a minimum of 10 yards due to bay limitations.

• 1 month later...

I strongly recommend 10 yards as a rule because crazy things can happen when you shoot steel closer - as previously noted, sometime you have novices that bring out non-standard shot loads and it can end up all over the place, and splash back to the RO/time keeper.