Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Replacement

Is there a rule of thumb for how many rounds a target can take between being changed out for a major match? 

At local matches the targets are in pretty good shape after 80 rounds so I am thinking 100 or so...

If the MD/RM are not trying to stick to a shoestring budget targets should be changed before they get difficult to score. In my matches the CRO is free to change targets as he sees fit, period.

I agree with Sarge. Generally it's up to the CRO on the stage. How often to change depends on the stage and target(s). A 'head shot only' target might only last for 3 squads or less. A full target might last 4 or 5 squads. The more hard cover/noshoots overlaying the target, the faster it gets hard to score.

I usually bring double the match. Just in case. Any partials are always doubled in number things like that. If it’s raining I plan on using double.  

imo. Partials are where you get hurt.  Smaller area to shoot ends up with all the rounds in one place.  Full targets usually make it through a match of 80 shooters but partials tend to need replaced about halfway through 

From what I've seen 3 squads for partials or turtles and 4 for open targets seems to be the norm. Losing your scoring lines happens fast on head shots and on IPSC targets. No-shoot targets tend to last all day, and even the whole match depending on the array. Always have spare hardcover targets on hand above and beyond the expected amount because of scoring challenges where the target gets pulled.

• 2 months later...

Generally we replaced targets every 3 squads at level 2 and 3 matches.  But on some targets it is a judgement call for the RO . If he can't see the scoring line it should be replaced .

On 4/9/2021 at 6:40 AM, Cgoliver970 said:

I ask because I want to make sure that enough targets are on hand. I guess better to have too many than not enough.

standard procedure at area 1 and nationals is to change every 3 squads. If you have a headshot only target, or some other type of small area, then change more often. If you have a classifier or something where there are more shots per target, then change more often. I ran 'Lightning and thunder' at A1 a couple years ago. 6 rounds per target, but open targets at distance so the shots were pretty spread out. IIRC we changed them every other squad.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually run 12 squads with a dozen competitors or more in each squad for a major 2 day L3, usually replace the targets at lunch break at min or as required depending on stage. So usually complete 4sets of targets per stage and then some spares for those close up hoser set ups.