Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady HAP 9mm Major

bossk95

I just bought 1k 125gr HAP bullets to use for 9 major for Area 3 in the 2011 I am having built.  But looking at hogdgon's data on their web site makes me really concerned with using that bullet.  Does anyone use the HAP for 9 major?  I would be using HS-6, WAC, or 3N37 since those are what I have available.

7 minutes ago, bossk95 said:

But looking at hogdgon's data on their web site makes me really concerned with using that bullet.

Understand that 9 major is not a SAAMI spec'd cartridge, and for liability purposes most powder companies will not even publish data regarding 9 major.

Below are 2 websites that you can use for your guideline. Both are saying around 6.7 gr of WAC for a 124/125 gr bullet.

http://www.natoreloading.com/9mmmajor/: Author loaded to 1.160 with a Berry's 124gr RN

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/1/9/how-to-use-9-major-in-a-short-barrel/ : Author loaded to 1.150" with a 125 gr HAP

10 minutes ago, bossk95 said:

Is there something specifically that causes the HAP to create higher pressures?

Not really. Notice the Cartridge Overall Length listed for each different bullet and how they're different lengths. The shorter you load them, there will be more pressure induced and less powder you can fill in the case.

image.thumb.png.b966e494bb26db76f7f6d96b3df07de3.png

So playing around with some loads to try for calibration ammo with the HAP, I loaded some to 1.075 which plunk fine in my BarSto and factory Springfield barrel(I don't have the barrel for my 2011) but then loading to 1.135 it hangs out pretty far in my BarSto, some fit in the Springfield but not all of them.

With luck your new gun (barrel) will have a long throat to allow you to load long = ~ 1.150 or so. That's the trick to help keep pressure low. 

See the last link (ssusa) posted by TheChewycookie. It has 9 Major load data with your 3 powders and 125 HAPs.  

I'll have to look at it over the weekend.

18 minutes ago, superdude said:

With luck your new gun (barrel) will have a long throat to allow you to load long = ~ 1.150 or so. That's the trick to help keep pressure low. 

See the last link (ssusa) posted by TheChewycookie. It has 9 Major load data with your 3 powders and 125 HAPs.  

12 hours ago, bossk95 said:

I just bought 1k 125gr HAP bullets to use for 9 major for Area 3 in the 2011 I am having built.  But looking at hogdgon's data on their web site makes me really concerned with using that bullet.  Does anyone use the HAP for 9 major?  I would be using HS-6, WAC, or 3N37 since those are what I have available.

8.0(no popples)-8.5(2+ popples) @ 1.160-1.170 gives 171-175pf

HAP 125s are .356" diameter, not .355".  Barsto barrels have notoriously short leads (throats).  If your 2011 has a short throat, have it reamed out so you can load long.  The short OAL you mentioned is not a good idea for 9 major.  Pressure is increased too much.  I load 115 HAPs to 1.161" and have no trouble with it.  You will have even more of the bullet in the case with the 125, so don't worry about it.  

6 hours ago, zzt said:

HAP 125s are .356" diameter, not .355".  Barsto barrels have notoriously short leads (throats).  If your 2011 has a short throat, have it reamed out so you can load long.  The short OAL you mentioned is not a good idea for 9 major.  Pressure is increased too much.  I load 115 HAPs to 1.161" and have no trouble with it.  You will have even more of the bullet in the case with the 125, so don't worry about it.  

The BarSto is a pre fit in my 1911, my 2011 will have a Kart barrel in it, once I actually have to gun I'll start looking deeper into it, seeing the seating depth explains everything with the high pressures of the published data

15 hours ago, bossk95 said:

The BarSto is a pre fit in my 1911, my 2011 will have a Kart barrel in it

Your prefit Barsto will have a very short throat unless someone lengthened it.  My 45 had a throat so short it would not chamber truncated cone bullets at 1.200".  I had the throat lengthened.

Whoever is building your 2011 will have to deepen the chamber on the KKM to Go Gauge length or a couple of thou deeper.  Most gunsmiths use Manson or Clymer reamers, so you will automatically have at least .055" of throat.  That will allow you to load to 1.150" OAL, and probably longer with most bullet shapes.  You will still have to do the plunk and spin test.

23 hours ago, zzt said:

Your prefit Barsto will have a very short throat unless someone lengthened it.  My 45 had a throat so short it would not chamber truncated cone bullets at 1.200".  I had the throat lengthened.

Whoever is building your 2011 will have to deepen the chamber on the KKM to Go Gauge length or a couple of thou deeper.  Most gunsmiths use Manson or Clymer reamers, so you will automatically have at least .055" of throat.  That will allow you to load to 1.150" OAL, and probably longer with most bullet shapes.  You will still have to do the plunk and spin test.

Not sure what reamer they use but I know I'll be plinking every round not doing that cost me big time at area 3 a couple year ago in a factory gun