Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revo major

Makicjf

Despite my best attempts at alchemy, I fear I'll run out of small pistol primers if I shoot Nats minor.  My original plan was to shoot major until April, shoot 2 matches 4 times ( Revo and L10 minor) then shoot Nationals.  I simply don't have enough SPP to support steel challenge and USPSA.  The upside is every USPSA match I've shot ( not many) since January has been Revo major.  I haven't shot a match minor since last year's Nationals.

I've got enough lpp and 45/40/10mm to shoot all year and we'll into next: how much of a "disadvantage" ( not like I'll win, but...) is Major compared to minor?  My own experience puts it between 5%-10%.

I guess I'm just curious, as the reality of the moment is Major is the only path that allows me to shoot everything I want.

Thanks!

Jason

If you're shooting Major with a .45 you can use 230 gr. bullets with a light charge of Clays or Clay Dot and have very light recoil. Those bullets only have to be going 750 fps or less. The heavy bullets easily take down the larger steel targets.

32 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

If you're shooting Major with a .45 you can use 230 gr. bullets with a light charge of Clays or Clay Dot and have very light recoil. Those bullets only have to be going 750 fps or less. The heavy bullets easily take down the larger steel targets.

235 actual does 750.  4 grains of Bullseye and nice recoil impulse.  Thankfully, they reload well, because standing reloads are a part of life.  I've learned that running really hard helps make up some time, but I'll still be behind.  

Fat bullets do thump steel!

Jason

The issue with 6 shot Major vs 8 shot minor is one of time.  USPSA COF's typically have a max of 8 shots at a position, depending on COF there can be more available but can be taken at other positions.  That is the reason we've all gone to 8 shot minor Revolvers.  Those standing reloads are a killer!

My plan is to shoot my 625 as minor for most of the season, except for the bigger matches.  A 45 minor still recoils more than a 38 SC minor.  But if you shoot Major once you get to a big match and shoot minor, you'll liable to be checking if you've had squibs!

One of the draws for a lot of guys in Revolver was trying to break down multiple 8 shot positions to keep from doing a standing reload.  Taxed the memory for sure and led to some interesting plans.

You can always shoot Steel with the 6 shot too, you still have 1 extra shot so it doesn't have a lot of fudge factor.  I did it one year at a Large SC Match and it worked out quite well.  Did it with a Dot and since nobody else shot OSR switched to Open, still ended up pretty high.  The only issue was on Outer Limits, think it's the one where you move and have large steel at long distance, I couldn't hear the "ding" until I was leaving the box!

Edited by pskys2

It is super stage dependent, some club matches over use 8 shot arrays making minor a winner by a mile, with any luck Nationals will not have many stages built like that. I would still give the clear advantage to Minor 8 at the top of the field but as you go down there is more spread and Major 6 will only cost you a position if your darn closely matched with another shooter to begin with.

Sometimes, well, many times I'm a bit slow on the uptake: I've found my solution.  If I shoot Steel Challenge Irons with my 625's and 610, I can shoot USPSA and OSR with my short colts and still have 5ish months if 8 shot primers and ammo.

I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things ...

Jason 

3 hours ago, Makicjf said:

Sometimes, well, many times I'm a bit slow on the uptake: I've found my solution.  If I shoot Steel Challenge Irons with my 625's and 610, I can shoot USPSA and OSR with my short colts and still have 5ish months if 8 shot primers and ammo.

I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things ...

Jason 

Sometimes it just takes stepping back and clearing the mind to help seeing things clearly.  That in itself is wise, whether we be smart or not!

For the record, it's not competitive. I tried at the 2012? Nationals and had what I would consider an unbeatable run on a stage (where a bit of flow happened, had great hits, good reloads, etc. I could see maybe one or two people being a few percents behind or ahead if they also went near-perfect, but by experience it was a stage win) and wasn't in the top ten on the stage. The reload advantage is unbeatable if you're shooting apples-to-apples on skill level.

Edited by MattInTheHat

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

I agree. Thankfully, I'm not either, so I just do it anyway.

Good attitude, do what makes you happy. If you’re not one of the top shooters there are plenty of other ways you can challenge yourself. It’s a shame the 8 shot is so dominant I’d much rather shoot my 625 than 627. Don’t get me wrong bot are nice platforms but I’m old school. Besides the 625 reloads faster and makes big holes! 

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

I agree. Thankfully, I'm not either, so I just do it anyway.

Way back in 1971 Coach Lengyel told us, "There are no guarantees in life, but if you show up prepared and determined to do your best ... good things can happen."