Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RFPO Firearm Selection

MallardMcDuck

Howdy.

Looking to get into RFPO competitions. Looking at Volquartsen Scorpion on high end, otherwise SW Victory tandemized or maybe even TX22.

What are your thoughts on the future TX22 Competition potential? The shorter barrel makes me think it will always be less accurate than the longer barreled Victory, Ruger MKs, and Volquartsens.

I have shot the most 22lr in my life compared to any other caliber, as that's what I guess most young shooters are exposed to as I was at Texas summer camp around 20+ years ago. So, I thought, why not try to get into RFPO and/or RFRO?

Love to know what yall think would work well for a newbie like me.

Thanks y'all.

- Robo-duck

You may want to browse the Steel Challenge sub-forum.  There's a thread on the TX22.  The most common RFPO is probably some version of a Ruger Mark#.  You also see Buckmarks, S&W, 1911 conversions.  I use a Ruger 22/45 for that division but you'll want to use whatever you already have, or whatever you shoot best.  Try other steel shooters' guns if possible before spending money.

For RFRO it's most commonly a modified Ruger 10/22.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/56-steel-challenge/

Having owned a succession of 22 pistols for competitions, I'll say there are problems with most of them.  With Rugers, Buckmarks and HiStandard Suermatics, the problem are mostly with the mags, once you tune triggers, etc.  I sold my Scorpion because it didn't measure up in several ways.  The Hammerli X-Esse was great for a while.  41s have to be tuned and you can only run standard velocity in them.

I have had my best luck with 22 conversions on a 1911.  My Marvel Unit One runs 100% with standard velocity, and my CWA Custom runs 100% with hi-speed.  Both run 100% with GSG mags.  The Marvel also runs 100% with Brownells mags after you modify them.  I've been running both for the last three years.  The longest I ever got any of the others to run 100% was 18 months.  For Steel Challenge you need 10% reliability.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Having owned a succession of 22 pistols for competitions, I'll say there are problems with most of them.  With Rugers, Buckmarks and HiStandard Suermatics, the problem are mostly with the mags, once you tune triggers, etc.  I sold my Scorpion because it didn't measure up in several ways.  The Hammerli X-Esse was great for a while.  41s have to be tuned and you can only run standard velocity in them.

I have had my best luck with 22 conversions on a 1911.  My Marvel Unit One runs 100% with standard velocity, and my CWA Custom runs 100% with hi-speed.  Both run 100% with GSG mags.  The Marvel also runs 100% with Brownells mags after you modify them.  I've been running both for the last three years.  The longest I ever got any of the others to run 100% was 18 months.  For Steel Challenge you need 10% reliability.

I was looking at Marvel 1 Units and saw they are now produced by FCW. I do not currently have a 1911 frame, so I would need to invest quite a bit to put something together like this. I am definitely considering the option. Interesting to hear that the Scorpion didn't measure up. I have heard that they tend to be fairly reliable, although maybe too expensive for what you get. 

I saw your comment on another thread about the Model 41 as customized by Clark Customs being fairly good as well?

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, also look at the Browning Buckmarks and the king S&W model 41 with a Bully barrel. Thanks, Eric

Do you have any experience with Bully vs Clark barrels. I think I would want something threaded preferably so I can have fun with a suppressor outside of competition.

I am a bit hesitant to jump on the Ruger MKIV train with how inflated the prices are right now, which makes me feel like if I want to go that route to just splurge on a Volquartsen Mamba or something.

I also sort of already committed to a JP22 upper to maybe try RFRO since I have an existing lower with a nice trigger. I realize I probably should have gone the 10/22 route. I hear that the JP22 is fairly accurate, and certainly accurate enough for Steel Challenge, but probably a little heavier than what other people are using.

I appreciate all this input from everyone. I am truly very new to all this, and have felt ignorant around some of the Tactical Timmy types I meet. I'd like to think rimfire is a shooting sport for everyone.

Thanks again. I will definitely check out the Steel Challenge threads.

9 hours ago, MallardMcDuck said:

I was looking at Marvel 1 Units and saw they are now produced by FCW. I do not currently have a 1911 frame, so I would need to invest quite a bit to put something together like this. I am definitely considering the option. Interesting to hear that the Scorpion didn't measure up. I have heard that they tend to be fairly reliable, although maybe too expensive for what you get. 

I saw your comment on another thread about the Model 41 as customized by Clark Customs being fairly good as well?

The Marvel Unit One is a wonderful piece of gear, but the heaviest recoil spring you can get for it is 10 lbs.  That limits you to standard velocity ammo or something like Geco Auto Pistol at around 1150 fps.  Anything heavier as a steady diet will bugger your sear and hammer hooks.  Since most people want to shoot ammo in the 1200+++ velocity range, the CWA Custom conversion is a better choice.  With the variable weight spring (broken in) I can run CCI Standard and Eley target.  Using the standard recoil spring I shoot my fav, CCI AR Tactical.  With the 12 lb. recoil spring I can use Ely Force, or similar.  Since the entire slide moves in recoil, it is a lot less violent than the Unit One.

Another good choice is the Victory.  I see many of them standard or upgraded with Volquartson or Tandemkross parts at Steel Challenge matches.  They are too new to determine how well they hold up, but so far they are all running 100%.

If you are willing to consider buying a 41 and having it tuned for reliability for fast shooting, you can afford a 1911 lower with a conversion.

I see mostly tarted up Rugers.  Like an XKE Jaguar, "occasionally everything works perfectly."

Me?  I shoot RFPI with a box stock M41 and CCI or Aquila SV so I am probably not the best source for jumping in at the deep end with a custom gun and exotic ammo.

Hello, like I stated above the Buckmark is a great 22. You can add Tactical Solution barrels and other fun stuff as funds are available. I would go to a match and see what people are shooting around your area and ask them if you could shoot a couple of rounds through there pistols. Most will say sure. That way you can see what will work for you. Thanks, Eric

I like the Volquartsen Black Mamba. A Scorpion would be another choice. They are built strong and accurate.

The Mamba is basically an upgraded Mark IV 22/45 Lite.  It tracks fast and with the VQ internals will have a trigger pull of around 1.5 pounds.  

I put a 12 MOA dot on mine for the C-More Railway sight,  I find that the bigger the dot the better for Steel Challenge.

Returned new upper.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Scorpion here. I have the 4.5" with compensator and it has never had a malfunction, although my experience is limited to using only Volquartsen magazines and Eley, CCI, Wolf, and Cascade HV ammo. I bought a bunch of Eley (Tenex, OSP, Match) to run in it for steel but lately I like CCI Mini-Mag because the comp works well with higher velocity and Mini-Mag is very accurate in the gun. Also, Volquartsen makes two different grip frames for the gun--a "target" style and a 1911 style. I tried both (I built my Scorpion--Volquartsen {along with several others} sells all the gun parts individually as well as the complete gun) and even though I shoot a 2011 for Limited, I honestly don't have a strong preference for one over the other. I like the look of the 1911 style better but I ended up going with the target style because it is a slightly smaller circumference grip and it is more comfortable for my 8 and 9 year old kids to grip it. I attached pic.

smaller size 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was in your situation this winter. Went to cabelas and they had a 6" black mamba sitting there looking lonely. So I took it home. I figured with the price of a regular 22/45 plus buying all the parts I'd want I'd have spent the same if not more anyways and this way the gun was all tuned at VQ. It has ran really well. Had a few hiccups here and their but after about the first 100rnd it's been 100%.

7 hours ago, jnr88 said:

The new Glock is exceptionally reliable.

I have a G44 with Johnny Glock trigger system and flat-face trigger and I agree with you--it's been super reliable and fun to shoot. And it weighs about one pound, so light and quick. Probably be fun to leave the Scorpion at home and shoot a steel match with it one of these times.

I have both the 22/45 fixed up and the the Black Mamba. I will keep the Black Mamba both are nice but the quality of  the Black mamba is awesome, I even shot a couple hundred thunderbolts through it with no problem.

Hello,

I saw your posts in a thread about reaming out muzzle breaks, and I couldn't figure out how to contact you so I'm posting here to see if this could connect us.

This is probably not customary but you can reach me at (919) 525-3739 if you'd be willing to help/provide advice.

Thank you,

Kyle

If you get the Scorpion or Black Mamba from Volquartsen you can buy their Lead Pulverizer to clean your compensator.  It works great. 

Take off your comp and the screws that hold in the tightening nut.  Use the Pulverizer and screw it until it stops.  It will eliminate all the buildup in your comp making it look like new. Best $20 I invested.

• 5 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 7:19 AM, zzt said:

The Marvel Unit One is a wonderful piece of gear, but the heaviest recoil spring you can get for it is 10 lbs.  That limits you to standard velocity ammo or something like Geco Auto Pistol at around 1150 fps.  Anything heavier as a steady diet will bugger your sear and hammer hooks.  Since most people want to shoot ammo in the 1200+++ velocity range, the CWA Custom conversion is a better choice.  With the variable weight spring (broken in) I can run CCI Standard and Eley target.  Using the standard recoil spring I shoot my fav, CCI AR Tactical.  With the 12 lb. recoil spring I can use Ely Force, or similar.  Since the entire slide moves in recoil, it is a lot less violent than the Unit One.

Another good choice is the Victory.  I see many of them standard or upgraded with Volquartson or Tandemkross parts at Steel Challenge matches.  They are too new to determine how well they hold up, but so far they are all running 100%.

If you are willing to consider buying a 41 and having it tuned for reliability for fast shooting, you can afford a 1911 lower with a conversion.

Ended up with a tandemized victory. Are the heavy laminated grips too heavy for steel challenge?! I've got the hive grips for light weight, but like the heavy laminated feel.

IMG_20211025_173327_810.jpg

Weight in the hands does not bother me at all.  Weight hanging out front slows transitions.  I like balance.  It the gun balances on the index finger of my support hand, it's perfect.  With that long barrel and steel comp I'd probably prefer the heavy grips.  Try both and see which is faster.