Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Jagemann 9mm Brass

Just got some NEW Jagemann 9mm brass and want to know if anyone is doing anything special to load these. I haven't had to load any NEW Brass for years because I had plenty from my own chamber and I was loading on a Dillon progressive. I stopped shooting my Open Gun for a few years and went over to Precision Rifle so now I'm loading on a Single Stage Forster and just picked up a 3 die set RCBS Carbide 9mm. Do these NEW cases need to go thru the sizer? then the expander or just go right to the expander ? It was a simple process on the Dillon because everything was on the one toolhead and I never had new brass to put thru. Now, when Loading NEW Rifle Brass I just load em up right out of the box. Any help with my new system is greatly appreciated, Thanks

You may want to tumble them a bit to add dust to help in the sizer, if you will size them before loading.

Also, chamfer the ID of the case mouth.

If you have a gauge, or using your barrel, see how well some of them drop in as an assessment.

Many like to resize even new cases - especially with progressive loaders, but it may not be needed .  It's likely more common to size new rifle cases than handgun to true the neck.

Chamfering the ID helps prevent the cases from sticking on the expander. which can sometimes leave slivers of brass if the corner is pinched off by the expander.

Now that sounds like a plan, I'll drop them in the case gauge and go from there. If they go in and come out easy I'll go to the expander die and pass on the the sizer, You're right about Truing the necks on Rifle cases, I'll run them thru a Neck Sizing die only if I find some that are dinged. I'll be loading these new 9 cases on the Forster Press, a little more effort but that's what I'm working with now. Back to the tried and true days of single stage 😀 Thanks

Just take a bullet and see if it will drop into the case. Anymore I de-burr and size all new brass. What got me started was I had 50, 45 colt primed, charged with powder and when I set the first bullet it fell into the case down to the powder. 🤬 Have also found some that aren’t sized as tight as others in the same batch (bullets seat real easy) so it just pays to run them all. 

20 hours ago, nelly said:

Now that sounds like a plan, I'll drop them in the case gauge and go from there. If they go in and come out easy I'll go to the expander die and pass on the the sizer, You're right about Truing the necks on Rifle cases, I'll run them thru a Neck Sizing die only if I find some that are dinged. I'll be loading these new 9 cases on the Forster Press, a little more effort but that's what I'm working with now. Back to the tried and true days of single stage 😀 Thanks

15 hours ago, Farmer said:

Just take a bullet and see if it will drop into the case. Anymore I de-burr and size all new brass. What got me started was I had 50, 45 colt primed, charged with powder and when I set the first bullet it fell into the case down to the powder. 🤬 Have also found some that aren’t sized as tight as others in the same batch (bullets seat real easy) so it just pays to run them all. 

What Farmer said!!  Would you load any new rifle brass without sizing?  Nope!  Just size the 9mm brass for best practices.

Nolan

Yeah, I actually do load new LaPua 6mmBR brass right out of the box without sizing and new .308 LaPua brass also. I just make a dummy to measure loaded round neck dimension so I can use the proper neck bushings when re-sizing them.

Your talkin a whole different class of brass right there! I do know guys that will still run their Lap brass through the neck sizer just because. 

When I first started using LaPua Brass I did run them thru my neck sizer but it made no difference at all, just an unnecessary step. Of course if I see an out of round mouth I'll put it thru. Just remembering how spoiled I was loading 9mm on the Dillon SQD B, now on my single stage Forster it's back to basics.