Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best tool kit/parts bin to carry spare parts for matches??

Looking to build a 2011 parts bin/tool kit for matches and seeking opinions on the best kit for the job.  Would like a segmented style flat tool kit so i can separate pins, screws, batteries, firing pins, springs, etc in a single container.  Any ideas to fit the bill that works well for a small/standard range bag?  Thanks.

For a 1911, I've broken;

Bushing

Full length recoil spring guide

Sights (front, rear and optic)

thumb safety

Had a plunger tube pull out of the frame

Bent firing pin

Extractor

Recoil spring plug

Slide stop

Barrel

That I recall at the moment.

My dry fire gun has a broken firing pin stop.

The best procedure is to have a backup gun.  Then you can explore the problem at greater leisure for the gun that broke.

7 minutes ago, Guy Neill said:

For a 1911, I've broken;

Bushing

Full length recoil spring guide

Sights (front, rear and optic)

thumb safety

Had a plunger tube pull out of the frame

Bent firing pin

Extractor

Recoil spring plug

Slide stop

Barrel

That I recall at the moment.

My dry fire gun has a broken firing pin stop.

The best procedure is to have a backup gun.  Then you can explore the problem at greater leisure for the gun that broke.

Ive got a complete backup gun and the parts for both.  Looking for the tool kit/container to carry the parts/kit in...

Generally, any tools required to field strip the gun.  Rags to wipe it down and oil

So, if any Allen wrenches are needed, include them.  A bushing wrench, if needed.  Paper clips if a one piece full length spring guide needing to capture the recoil spring for field stripping.

Whatever wrench/screwdriver to tighten grip screws or adjust sights.

If you have any anticipation of removing the firing pin, a punch or small screwdriver for that.

A cleaning kit

That should cover most needs.

Hmm - a container.  I've used zipper bags - like a bank bag.  I've seen such at Walmart.  Either Walmart or an office supply should have utility boxes of various sizes that may serve.

If you're going to carry them, then maybe some sort of clear-top tackle tray or camera case.

They're small, (mostly) watertight, and you can what you have or need quickly.

But you would have to pick out the right one.

43 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

If you're going to carry them, then maybe some sort of clear-top tackle tray or camera case.

They're small, (mostly) watertight, and you can what you have or need quickly.

But you would have to pick out the right one.

Yeah, i have looked at a couple clear top, tackle box style containers from Plano that are small enough to fit into a bag, but big enough to carry some small necessities.  

Yeah. I think you maybe answered your own question. 

You're already bringing a full back-up gun, right, so if you have a bad enough equipment day to need even more spare parts, you may as well start laughing because the gun gods got your a$$ that day! No amount of spare parts will save your match score then, so grin and shoot it out. It's still fun.