Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm: 125gr Xtreme FP: Win 231 4.3gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.020

ysrracer

These are .357 bullets, I've loaded in a 9mm shell.

Name: 9mm: 125gr Xtreme FP: Win 231 4.3gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.020
Notes: Para 1911 5"
Shots: 7
Average: 1120 ft/s
SD: 9 ft/s
Min: 1102 ft/s
Max: 1132 ft/s
Spread: 30 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 140
Power Factor Low: 137
Power Factor High: 141
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 61 F
Weight: 125.0 gr.
Powder: Win 231 / 4.3
Case: Mixed
Bullet: 125 FP
Gun: Para

Might I suggest that you add what kind of accuracy you are getting. Power factor and velocity are fine but not if you shooting 4-6" groups. You can bench them at 15-25 yards if you don't have a ransom rest and do either 3-5 shot avg or a 10 shot group and that will tell you if the load is good enough. 4.3 of 231 has always been an accurate load with my PD 124 JHP's and I use 4.0 with coated.

22 hours ago, ysrracer said:

At 25 yards I hit the A zone every time shooting off hand with both eyes open. Good enough for me

Good enough for USPSA.

So y'all don't shoot head shots at 35 yds or 50 yds body? (compared to the 50-yard free-style in Area 4 standards). I had this discussion with others that said the same as you but if I have to make a head shot I'd rather have a load that shoots 1.5 inch group than 4 or 5 inch group. Cut out two circles 1.5 and 4 inch and move that around the A zone in the head and see what I mean. But then again everybody is different. We shoot a lot of head shots here.

That must be a good Para!  Don't see many Para's these days.   Load sounds good, I've shot a lot of WST at 4.3 gr with Precison 125gr bullets and they were accurate and it makes minor 130-135pf.  Never loaded anything that short mostly 1.130 to 1.175 depending on the bullet.  My guns run better with a longer OAL.

1 hour ago, Darrell said:

So y'all don't shoot head shots at 35 yds or 50 yds body? (compared to the 50-yard free-style in Area 4 standards). I had this discussion with others that said the same as you but if I have to make a head shot I'd rather have a load that shoots 1.5 inch group than 4 or 5 inch group. Cut out two circles 1.5 and 4 inch and move that around the A zone in the head and see what I mean. But then again everybody is different. We shoot a lot of head shots here.

Me? No. I shoot a Thursday night steel match at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, and a couple of USPSA matches there a month ( when I'm in town).

Nothing too crazy. Now Rio (where the big dogs play) is a different story.

I'm not a serious competitor. In fact I just go to the matches so I can go out for lunch with my buddies afterwards :)

Edited by ysrracer

28 minutes ago, CocoBolo said:

That must be a good Para!  Don't see many Para's these days.   

It's a Pro Custom 18.9, and it's a great gun. From the factory it has a Bomar-ish rear sight, a fiber optic front sight, an extended ambi safety, beaver trail, commander hammer, front cocking serrations serrated front strap, 2.5lb trigger, magwell, full length guide rod, lightweight tiger...

Screenshot_20210408-072110_1.png

Edited by ysrracer