Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AK barrel threading question

ltdmstr

Anyone know if it's possible to thread an AK barrel while still mounted in the receiver and who can do it?  And just to clarify, I'm not interested in the Roadkill approach of doing it with a threading die.  I want to mount it in a lathe and do it right, but don't want to have to take the whole thing apart (and put it back together).

Is there a hole through the receiver for the bolt like on an AR? I don't know AK actions. For an AR, I would just put a closely fitting steel bar in the action, clamp the part sticking out of the receiver in the chuck or collet, and put the muzzle on a live center. Then the threads would be concentric and parallel to the bore, regardless of the outside. A lot of barrels on the outside diameter are not concentric to the bore, so you don't want to just put the barrel in the chuck, (assuming you even could).

Can you clamp the receiver in a 4 jaw chuck with the muzzle on the live center and dial in the chamber end? Can't really tell what the sheet metal looks like from the end or other sides.

I'll have to look at that and see if it will work.  The receiver is just sheet matal, so I'd have to make a block of something to go inside for support, assuming everything else works out.  Starting to think it might be easier to just remove the rivets.  Shouldn't be that hard to put it back together with a hydraulic press.  

6 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Very possible. Prasky Gunworks does them that way sometimes. Just depends on the gun or Sean's mood. I think he also does the AK shotguns like that but not 100% sure. 

Tried the annular cutter and thread die because the barrel is going to be cut down anyway.  Results were less than stellar.  And that's not going to work because the whole reason for doing this is to pin and weld a muzzle brake for use with a suppressor.  If the threads aren't true, that means baffle strikes and other bad stuff.  So it's definitely going in a lathe.  Just was hoping for an easy solution or someone I could send it to because I have a bunch of other projects in the queue and not enough time as it is.  Guess it's just going to have to wait. 

8 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Tried the annular cutter and thread die because the barrel is going to be cut down anyway.  Results were less than stellar.  And that's not going to work because the whole reason for doing this is to pin and weld a muzzle brake for use with a suppressor.  If the threads aren't true, that means baffle strikes and other bad stuff.  So it's definitely going in a lathe.  Just was hoping for an easy solution or someone I could send it to because I have a bunch of other projects in the queue and not enough time as it is.  Guess it's just going to have to wait. 

I here ya on too many projects... I'm not sure what Sean's wait times are currently but I'd say send him an email to see.

• 3 weeks later...