Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DW PM9 issue

RGC

I just received my new DW PM9.

Just to note prior to my rant, I have owned 50 or more 1911s and have gutted nearly all of them.  So VERY familiar.

I spent 45 minutes of my life wasted trying to seat the firing pin in my new PM9.  Seriously.  I believe the slide missed the chamfer station.  I cannot get the firing pin end to slide into the FP slide opening.  

One of those “are you kidding me” afternoons.

Side note, I swapped out internals and have a trigger drop at 1.8lbs though.

But still no firing pin installed....unbelievable.

Edited by RGC

Just now, TheSandMan491 said:

Well, the firing pin goes into the slide, not the frame. So that might be your problem. 

Typo but sarcasm appreciated.

12 minutes ago, RGC said:

Typo but sarcasm appreciated.

So the firing pin stop won’t clear the firing pin when you slide it in? Or the firing pin won’t come out the front of the Breech face? I’m trying to picture the issue. 

Funny, but cannot install it....drop spring in, then FP.  Cannot get it to seat in the last 1/4”.  I have done this literally thousands of times.  Believe no chamfering and the FP hole in slide is flat based so inserting the FP is all luck.

The tightly wound end of the firing pin spring gets mounted on the firing pin prior to installing the parts into the slide.  Some slides have a ridge near the breach face end and you could be getting hung up on that.  Try pressing the spring in so the back end of the firing pin is flush or below flush with the groove cut in the slide for the firing pin stop.  If that clears the machined surface the stop should go in unless it's getting hung up on the extractor.  On that, make sure the groove that's cut in the extractor is perfectly aligned with the cut in the slide.  Doesn't take much to bind.

5 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

The tightly wound end of the firing pin spring gets mounted on the firing pin prior to installing the parts into the slide.  Some slides have a ridge near the breach face end and you could be getting hung up on that.  Try pressing the spring in so the back end of the firing pin is flush or below flush with the groove cut in the slide for the firing pin stop.  If that clears the machined surface the stop should go in unless it's getting hung up on the extractor.  On that, make sure the groove that's cut in the extractor is perfectly aligned with the cut in the slide.  Doesn't take much to bind.

Did all of that...

Just now, RGC said:

Did all of that...

The FPbis just floating... I had it insert once by trial and error.  Utterly ridiculous.  I believe CZ missed a complete machining station with this one.

I'm having a hard time believing they missed a step considering these are built/fit by hand. I also wonder why someone would replace good machined internals for other machined internals. But I have had my PM45 apart quite a few times and it goes back together just fine. 

58 minutes ago, RGC said:

The FPbis just floating... I had it insert once by trial and error.  Utterly ridiculous.  I believe CZ missed a complete machining station with this one.

Now Im confused. I thought DW is by Dan Wesson and now by CZ? Another typo? Or maybe I need to be updated

Edited by BoyGlock

UPDATE:

Okay, so even the OEM FP would not install.  I have DP extended for 9mm and a Limcat extended.  All no go.  I did have a couple of old SV's.

I tried to insert all in reverse, just to see what the hang up was (inserting tip into breach face).  EVERY one would only insert 3/16 or so.  Leading me to believe there was a burr (and when I took it down for first time, the factory obviously got the FP installed but there may have been an issue pending but I never fired it).

SO, I then installed the older SV, and tapped it in.  The FP protruded from the FP hole now, but it was stuck.  Tapped it back out.  Suddenly all FP's are working again....So a burr it must have been (air blasted it so wasn't another foreign object i believe).

First for me....

On 4/4/2021 at 12:36 PM, RGC said:

UPDATE:

Okay, so even the OEM FP would not install.  I have DP extended for 9mm and a Limcat extended.  All no go.  I did have a couple of old SV's.

I tried to insert all in reverse, just to see what the hang up was (inserting tip into breach face).  EVERY one would only insert 3/16 or so.  Leading me to believe there was a burr (and when I took it down for first time, the factory obviously got the FP installed but there may have been an issue pending but I never fired it).

SO, I then installed the older SV, and tapped it in.  The FP protruded from the FP hole now, but it was stuck.  Tapped it back out.  Suddenly all FP's are working again....So a burr it must have been (air blasted it so wasn't another foreign object i believe).

First for me....

Glad you got it figured out. Also I've found that the extended FP sometimes are slightly too tight for the hole. I've had to check many of them in a drill and run some fine grit sand paper on the tip area to get them to go in/out smooth.