Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

limited shooter thinking about mag pouch setup. 2+magnet or just 3?

Obvious

I shoot limited and my mags hold 18 rounds so I normally take 4 mags to a competition but only keep 3 on my belt, and have one as a backup in case I have a basepad crack. So after load and make ready, i only have 2 mags on my belt. I'm looking at the daa racer mag pouches and think a regular racer pouch and then one with a magnet would be perfect, I could have my two mags for the stage stowed and keep my starting mag on the magnet or in my pocket. Seems going this route would take up less space on my belt as well. Any real reason to go with 3 mag pouches instead? 

Edited by Obvious

I have had a magnet on my Limited belt for quite a few years and used to run 4 mag pouches along with the magnet but now only run 3+magnet.

But, I only ever use the magnet on Stow-and-Go stages and occasionally at unload and show clear.

If I only wanted 3 mag retention devices on my belt, I'd go with 2 pouches + 1 magnet.

1 minute ago, N3WWN said:

I have had a magnet on my Limited belt for quite a few years and used to run 4 mag pouches along with the magnet but now only run 3+magnet.

But, I only ever use the magnet on Stow-and-Go stages and occasionally at unload and show clear.

If I only wanted 3 mag retention devices on my belt, I'd go with 2 pouches + 1 magnet.

Sounds exactly what I plan on doing. A magnet to keep my make ready mag there while I'm not up on deck, or with mags on table start. 

I run three pouches and one stand alone magnet.  I want three mags handy on a stage in case I flub a reload, or something else happens.  The magnet is only for table starts.  I can pick up two mags and slap them on the magnet, then load the third from the table.  Hint:  if you are going to grab two mags of 20 rounds each t put on the magnet, make sure you stagger the base pads and make sure the mag cover is off.

The magnet was an addition near the end of last year.  Three pouches were fine until we started having so many all mags on the barrel stages.

3 hours ago, waktasz said:

What gun do you have and why does it only hold 18?

RIA double stack 1911. Factory mag holds 16 rounds, MBX mags hold 18. Might get some basepads for them but not sure yet. 

I'd have to look up the exact basepad/spring/follower combo that I use (I don't shoot this gun often anymore), but I get 20 reloadable in every RIA double stack 40 S&W mag that I have and can squeeze 21 into about 1/2 of them.

I run with 4 mag holders and a magnet on one of the mag holders. Its nice to have the extra mag holder if you have trouble. Also where there is the mandatory

reload stages or when their is the 2 stages on the same bay and you go hot from one stage to the next, its nice to have the extra mag holder.

2 hours ago, N3WWN said:

I'd have to look up the exact basepad/spring/follower combo that I use (I don't shoot this gun often anymore), but I get 20 reloadable in every RIA double stack 40 S&W mag that I have and can squeeze 21 into about 1/2 of them.

Replying to myself with the magazine details:

Factory tubes

Dawson tool-less basepads (no longer made, but I think Taylor Freelance makes basepads for the factory tubes now)

ISMI Para Magazine Springs -140mm- Chrome Silicon

Arredondo follower - Para Nylon

Arredondo Basepad Insert for Para HiCap

5 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

Replying to myself with the magazine details:

Factory tubes

Dawson tool-less basepads (no longer made, but I think Taylor Freelance makes basepads for the factory tubes now)

ISMI Para Magazine Springs -140mm- Chrome Silicon

Arredondo follower - Para Nylon

Arredondo Basepad Insert for Para HiCap

Thank you!

I shoot IPSC in Australia where we are limited to 10 round mags, all of my rigs have a magnet on the front pouch regardless of division and I usually have my barney on my strong side behind the holster on a DAA magnet pouch.  see below

daa-deluxe-magnetic-pouch

Edited by terrydoc

Why not just run 3 racer mag pouches?  The new rules allow you place the mags anywhere on your body.  Pre rule change, I would carry 2 racer mags, now I just added another racer mag and carry three while moving my first mag pouch almost directly at 12 o'clock.