Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon dies suck !! (With pictures)

Dillon dies suck !!

I'm new to reloading, but finally got my 750 set up. I waited six months for my 9mm dies to finally show up.

Well, now that everything's up and running I cranked out my first 500 rounds.

I chamber checked every single one of them, and they all failed. Every single one.

Dillon dies suck.

.Screenshot-20210304-120445.png

You know sometimes I see curious things being said. Blank statement made that Dillon dies suck. 500 rounds failed in a chamber check. 100% of the rounds failed. Really?Then you show a picture of a round that won't go into a gauge with the gauge upside down. 

You will never be able to successfully gauge a round the wrong way.

In full disclosure I use a LEE U-die to size and a Lee FCD to crimp. I think the work better for explainable reasons but I have made 100's of thousands of good 9mm rounds with Dillon dies. You will not have anything about Dillon dies make 100% bad rounds unless you are doing something else wrong.

You need to figure out what you don't understand. Start with insert the round into the gauge properly. 

I suppose clues were there even if I don't pay much attention to dates.  Never  thought guns and ammunition  were joking matters.

Not that there cannot be humor.  Ask me sometime about the fellow that called to complain that the primers he bought had no bottoms.

forget the gauge for now. have you tried plunk testing the rounds yet?

if they load into your guns and eject as expected,  you are good to go

I had issue swith ONE gun. it required a lower OAL than all of my other guns. I loaded  thousands of rounds @ 1.142" and I am good to go with all of my rounds in all of my guns now

dillon products are wonderful . They do have a few quirks though. things like the pin that holds the primer  chute-- they bend

primer magazine tips wear out and primer  feed stop pins wear out too.seems like a few of these parts should NOT be plastic(primer feed stop pins for sure)

know the thread is on april 1 but i don't like the dillon dies.  that u-pin allows for a little play and at least the seating die is harder to get right vs all the other brands where the stem screws in to set the seating depth.

I agree with Davsco, but please remember that Dillon dies were designed for speed, not pure precision.  They were designed by a guy who was looking to feed his enormous machinegun collection.