Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus TX22 - anybody shooting one?

lawboy

I have one of the Competition models. Shot it in one SC match and like it a lot. 500 rds so far without issue. I'd recommend a "Keep Tinkering" short reset trigger though it's not absolutely necessary. Good, cheap, reliable fun pistol.

• 8 months later...

Just checking in for any updates on the TX22 Competition model. Not specifically for Steel Challenge, but more of a range toy with red dot. 

Are you guys still liking yours?  Anyone else getting them?  I’ve basically given up hope of getting a red dot mounted on my Glock 44 and am now considering the Taurus as a Carry Optics type of rimfire pistol. 

Thanks,

Cuz

Shot my new Competition today for the first time in a match. Ran 100% with CCI mini-mags 40 gr. Still working on my grip to keep the dot in view and I’m going to have to do something about the trigger. Other than that I’m happy with it. Few thousand more rounds will tell the tale. 

YMMV
RTL

• 5 months later...

Helping a new shooter with the TX22 SCR model. Had some feeding issues with CCI Mini-Mags but ran flawless with Federal Automatch. Curious if anyone has experienced a break in period with these pistol?

Ours didn't need a break in.  We've found 2 things- first, use the magazine loader that came with the gun.  This will make sure the rounds stack up in the mag right.  Second, we've used SK (which is waxy and slick) ammo almost exclusively in the gun.  We've shot a little bit of CCI standard velocity and it also performed well but not as well as the SK.

Since I’ve bumped this back in December, I bought 2, a regular model and a Competition SCR. They both run great, only issue some of us are experiencing is that it occasionally doesn’t pick up the second round from the mag and skips over it. We think it may be related to the McFadden loaders we are using to load mags. When we load mags by hand they work well, but we love those McFadden loaders so much we are going to exhaust every other possible issue before blaming them. 

6 hours ago, Bentsight said:

Just picked one up yesterday, anybody got a favorite RDS for these things and what size MOA dot for steel challenge? 

I put a 5moa SRO on mine, it cost more than the gun. 

I've shot both the target and the SCR. I was very surprised by the TandemKross comp on the SCR. It cut muzzle rise with high-speed rounds to the same level as standard velocity without the comp. I would not have thought there would be enough gas pressure in a .22LR to make a comp work. But I was wrong here. I put a lot of rounds through both and the only malfs were a few tip-up jams with the same mag in the SCR. I'd blame the mag. The SCR is a pretty solid gun and a good, and inexpensive, way to get into rimfire pistol in Steel Challenge. 

Got to shoot my a bit this weekend . It never Jammed but it also skipped the second round most of the time. It didn't madder it the mag was full loaded or 3/4 loaded. I did use the enclosed loading tool most of the time 

IMG_5643.JPG

6 hours ago, kellymc said:

Got to shoot my a bit this weekend . It never Jammed but it also skipped the second round most of the time. It didn't madder it the mag was full loaded or 3/4 loaded. I did use the enclosed loading tool most of the time 

IMG_5643.JPG

This is interesting.  When 4 of us shot ours a couple of weeks ago we were all having similar problems.  Then, this past weekend, I took mine out and ran over 300 rounds without a single issue.  The only thing different I could think of was that the temp was much cooler this weekend when I shot.  I wonder if the plastic magazines could somehow be temperature sensitive and perform well when the temp is under 65 degrees, but have issues in the 70+ degree range???

We are still testing to see if it happens when the mags are handloaded vs loading with the Ultimate Clip Loader, etc. etc.  No official verdict as of yet.

21 minutes ago, Cuz said:

This is interesting.  When 4 of us shot ours a couple of weeks ago we were all having similar problems.  Then, this past weekend, I took mine out and ran over 300 rounds without a single issue.  The only thing different I could think of was that the temp was much cooler this weekend when I shot.  I wonder if the plastic magazines could somehow be temperature sensitive and perform well when the temp is under 65 degrees, but have issues in the 70+ degree range???

We are still testing to see if it happens when the mags are handloaded vs loading with the Ultimate Clip Loader, etc. etc.  No official verdict as of yet.

Well I have to say I’m not liking what I’m hearing too much… I purchased one a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately due to some unforeseen circumstances I was not able to “play” with mine yet, and will be a while….. So it will sit in the safe awaiting my recovery….. I’m hoping for some positive results as she feels like a real comfortable pistol and sure looks like it will be fun to shoot in some small matches.. I hope…

If you pull down on the magazine follower tabs to load, you are more likely to have feed issues due to potential rim lock. Push the rounds down and back without pulling the follower down, or use the included loader. I've got several thousand rounds through mine without issue. The follower tabs are unnecessary... if you use mag extensions they have to be removed anyway. The TK extensions have worked great on mine.

I've got a hold of a TX22 competition.......did the TK trigger job and the extensions. Actually put a 510C on it (yes I made an adaptor)....presently, I went back to the 507C. I have to say that while I've zero malfunctions and the gun is accurate.......I am not a fan and it's just not a good choice for steel. I also recently picked up a new buck mark with a factory aluminum shrouded barrel......for $690 out the door it is MUCH more of a pistol for the sport than the TX22, hell, it's drop dead reliable and accurate. I'd do a hard pass on the TX models......at the end of the day....they are a TAURUS. And they seem fragile.

11 hours ago, Leezway said:

Well I have to say I’m not liking what I’m hearing too much… I purchased one a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately due to some unforeseen circumstances I was not able to “play” with mine yet, and will be a while….. So it will sit in the safe awaiting my recovery….. I’m hoping for some positive results as she feels like a real comfortable pistol and sure looks like it will be fun to shoot in some small matches.. I hope…

Hey Man,

Good luck with recovery, and don’t give up on the TX22. It’s a lot of fun to play with at the range. 
im still hoping to make it out to one of your matches, but scheduling keeps getting in the way. 

17 hours ago, Cuz said:

Hey Man,

Good luck with recovery, and don’t give up on the TX22. It’s a lot of fun to play with at the range. 
im still hoping to make it out to one of your matches, but scheduling keeps getting in the way. 

Thanks Cuz… just chillin in the infirmary, everything went well thank you…. hope to be home in a few days… and the wife to go to work so I can go downstairs and play…. Gonna have a lot of down time. Wanna do some “Pumping” at my personal “Gym Bench” you know Rehab!! Doctor said nothing low or heavy…  bench is 40” high and I’ll keep the weight down…. Let’s say between 115 to 147 grains!! Lol 😂 

All kidding aside…. I can’t wait for you to stop by one of the shoots, I think you would enjoy it… it’s growing bigger every month. I’d like to get some of you “big guns” to come and shoot with us…. We have a lot of new people starting off in the last year or so and they would enjoy watching you blaze thru a rack or two or 3…

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine out again. Quit using the loading tool and started just slightly using the bumps on the side of the mag. Everything started working perfect no more skipping the second round. Never had feeding issue with std vel cci

I had a tx22 competition and dropped in the the Keep Tinkering trigger, added a comp and extended mag base pads.  I liked the KT trigger over the factory, though it was challenging to install for me at least. It shot well and offered much larger mag capacity than my Ruger/Volquartsen. Still the feel of the gun was so different  than the target grips on my VQ that i eventually sold the TX. I just didn't want to take the time to learn to shoot the new pistol. The Taurus mag release was also a bit difficult to operate.  I know several people that shoot the Tx22, one problem a few have had is with the magazines feeding properly. But when they run they shoot fast and hold a lot of rounds.