Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer coated bullets

mtwain56

2 hours ago, mtwain56 said:

Picked up 115 gr 9mm polymer coated bullets. I'm using TiteGroup and going to use these for target practice. Any recommendations for amount of powder,  and OAL?

Do you need to make minor PF? If not you probably won't like 4.5 grain. I would load 3.8 - 4.0, depending on the gun probably won't make minor PF, but it's good for plinking.

If you want to make Minor, then you will need a Chrono and work up a ladder of loads until you find the one consistently making minor. Remember it is gun depended, what makes minor in a CZ Shadow 2 may not in a Tanfoglio S2.

Now OAL? The only way is the tried and true "plunk" test. Where you load long and keep shortening it up until it drops free from your chamber. Lot's of threads on the forum about the process. 

Just went back to coated bullets after about 10 years due to current situation.

Recently switched to Clean Shot. 

Was very unhappy with coated bullets in the past and am now realizing a lot of my issues had to do with using Titegroup with lead and coated lead bullets.

Of course it will work and lots of people use it, but it really isn’t the correct powder for the task.

Do you have any other powder available?

Here is my Titegroup Data for a 115gr bullet with different firearms noted, if that’s all you have. Should get you in the ball park. * indicates my chosen load. 

Titegroup M17

4.4 grs 1187 FPS 11.9 SD / 37 ES*

Titegroup G34 Agency

1.110”

4.3 grs 1162 FPS 20.6 SD / 71 ES

4.4 grs 1182 FPS 14.8 SD / 45 ES

1.100”

4.4 grs 1169 FPS 16.5 SD / 54 ES

1.090”

4.4 grs 1180 FPS 11.7 SD / 40 ES *

Titegroup G17 MOS

1.110”

4.4 grs 1162 FPS 21.3 SD / 70 ES

1.100”

4.4 grs 1176 FPS 14.1 SD / 45 ES

1.090”

4.4 grs 1172 FPS 18 SD / 56 ES *

Titegroup P80/G19

1.110”

4.4 grs 1116 FPS 17.9 SD / 57 ES

1.090”

4.4 grs 1147 FPS 17.3 SD / 45 ES *

Titegroup Shield

1.110”

4.4 grs 1055 FPS 16.1 SD / 59 ES

1.090”

4.4 grs 1109 FPS 14.9 SD / 47 ES *

I do not have a preferred load for 115g for you, but I have used Titegroup with good success for .40 minor loads with coated bullets.  If that is what you have, it will work fine for your needs.

4.0 -4.3 of Tightgroup is what I have used with Bayou 115 Hi-Tek coated bullets, PF 129-132. Only issues I ever had with coated bullets was from not belling the mouth of the case enough which caused coating and lead getting scraped when seating. I open up to .390 and crimp .379 and group went from over 4 inches to 1.4 inches and that was 10 shots from the ransom rest at 25 yds. CZ- TSO

I'm sure there is something good about TiteGroup, I just don't know what it is.  I used up about 16 pounds of it and never ever thought about buying any more.  Maybe for 40 with 200gr I would try it again, nope not going there.   I really do like coated bullets and like Darrell says open up the bell enough and don't cut the coating and they work awesome.  Less recoil at same PF than jacketed, and no need for a gallon of Flitz like plain lead.  Bayou is my favorite and ACME in second, the wood boxes come in handy for storing stuff in the bench. The neat thing about the coated bullets is that the barrel looks cleaner after shooting them.

What I would choose instead of TiteGroup in order of preference -  N320, SR7625, HP38, WST, RedDot, Solo 1000, AA5, WSF, AutoComp and so on.

Like it hot dirty and rough TiteGroup.  

On 4/5/2021 at 12:49 PM, CocoBolo said:

I'm sure there is something good about TiteGroup, I just don't know what it is.  I used up about 16 pounds of it and never ever thought about buying any more.  Maybe for 40 with 200gr I would try it again, nope not going there.   I really do like coated bullets and like Darrell says open up the bell enough and don't cut the coating and they work awesome.  Less recoil at same PF than jacketed, and no need for a gallon of Flitz like plain lead.  Bayou is my favorite and ACME in second, the wood boxes come in handy for storing stuff in the bench. The neat thing about the coated bullets is that the barrel looks cleaner after shooting them.

What I would choose instead of TiteGroup in order of preference -  N320, SR7625, HP38, WST, RedDot, Solo 1000, AA5, WSF, AutoComp and so on.

Like it hot dirty and rough TiteGroup.  

Sport Pistol is my new replacement for Tightgroup when I run out, used up 8# of it and love it.