Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt choice for multigun

I have a Double Alpha belt with double alpha-x mag pouches and alpha-x open holster setup for USPSA open.

I have a safariland setup for 3gun tacops (shotgun quad loading caddies, pistol caddies that are not compatible with 2011 mags, ar-15 mag caddies, pcc caddies).

I decided I want to try shooting 3gun open after buying a VR80. Only shot a couple 3 gun matches and intend to compete with my USPSA open pistol (9 major)

Looks like I can get a part from DA to get my alpha-x holster on safariland belt and there are alpha-x mag caddy adapters for els or 2" belt hangers.

Alternatively I can buy new caddies for AR and shotgun and put on DA belt.

Questions -

1-how important is adjustability of belt when shooting 3 gun open? 

2-does DA alpha x holster provide enough security for an open USPSA 2011 gun?

3-are there better mag caddies for 1.5" or 1.75" belts?

4-which upgrade route should I take? 

Thanks for input!

Josh

Edited by PocketPistol
Fixed DA part options

19 hours ago, PocketPistol said:

Questions -

1-how important is adjustability of belt when shooting 3 gun open? 

2-does DA alpha x holster provide enough security for an open USPSA 2011 gun?

3-are there better mag caddies for 1.5" or 1.75" belts?

4-which upgrade route should I take? 

1 depends on the matches you shoot

just shot a 5 stage match reconfigured belt 3 times. Mostly adding /removing shot gun shell holders

2 don't know  most use a 014 Safari land holster. will you ever need a sling? If so The DA wont be ideal.

Yep, it's really gonna depend on the flavor of the matches you go to on the holster. 

You shouldn't need to rearrange your belt much if at all for open division. I move stuff off my front if I'm going prone but that's about it. 

Hangers for your shotgun mags work great, or put an els clip on the hanger and cut off the wings so it slides out easily. 

Like pretty much everything on this forum, it comes down to personal preference. 

For 3 gun, once you have your belt set up the way you like it, you're likely not going to change where you have things.  The beauty of the my safariland belt, is on non-shotgun stages, I can quickly unclip those holders and save myself the weight.  That's the thing with 3 gun - the constant changes and versatility you need.  You'll have a tough time convincing me to go with anything else because I can so quickly and easily switch my setup based on what stage I'm at.  Stages where I use all 3, I'm all set.  Stages where you use 1 or 2, you're still all set and you save the weight / comfort.

What I'm saying is, you'll put a ELS thing on your back for your extra rifle mag (or whatever wherever)...  and on stages you don't need it, you won't hook it up - but that setup will still be there.  You're not going to move that thing again (likely), but it's there if/when you need it - and it's super quick to remove what it holds.  That ELS system is amazing

Never shot open in 3gun, but I love the ELS for adaptability.  DAA makes an adapter for the mags to attach to a ELS clip.  I don't shoot 3gun anymore, but I still use my ELS belt for USPSA.  It allows me to change from CO to PCC in seconds and I can use the same belt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been using a CR Speed belt for a while with regular slide on mag pouches, shogun ammo carriers and holster.  Recently, the matches I shoot have more prone shooting and I am moving to an ELS belt. It definitely offers more flexibility in configuration from stage to stage.

• 2 months later...

i use my uspsa open belt for 3g open too, i prefer the rigidity of the DAA belts over floppy safariland. i just played with locations and like szhttm screwed els hangers through my DAA where i want them. just as adjustable and far more rigid. i sling rifle across my back, muzzle up, from right shoulder down my left side to avoid catching the pistol/holster and practice getting out of it

for shotgun mags in open i have a pouch right in front for quick first reload and made a drop offset hanger on my hip to put the 20rd mag at the right height to grab it without thinking. otherwise the 12 and 15 round mags i use kydex hooks just around the belt itself.

Edited by DavidSeavey

4 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

i use my uspsa open belt for 3g open too, i prefer the rigidity of the DAA belts over floppy safariland. i just played with locations and like szhttm screwed els hangers through my DAA where i want them. 

I used to use a DAA belt with some kydex adapters I made for ELS and it worked well but got a good deal on an ELS belt, added a ratchet and it's sturdy. Now I have a belt for 3gun and a belt for USPSA.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting 3-gun for a while and recently switched to an ELS belt setup after using a CR Speed for several years.  I'm liking the increased flexibility of the ELS system, but as others have noted, it really depends on the type of matches you are shooting.

As you can see the general consensus is ELS. I have started with a off brand belt years ago and after the 1st year changed to Safariland/ELS. Its like lego's, too many options to list out. Also, since the majority of other 3-gun shooters use the same, its easy to borrow gear/attachments if your goes down or breaks. 

Enjoy open divsion, 3 times the fun and 3 times the cost!

• 1 month later...

I’ve been using the DA or CR Speed belt for years. I really like the rigidity of those belts. Before ELS came out I had placed tec-loks on my belt and various pouches / holders. That allowed me to reconfigure my belt for each stage. Since I was / am invested in that set-up, that’s what I stay with. If I were to be starting out now, I’d probably go with ELS. It would be less expensive and give the flexibility I like.