Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a Double Alpha belt with double alpha-x mag pouches and alpha-x open holster setup for USPSA open.

I have a safariland setup for 3gun tacops (shotgun quad loading caddies, pistol caddies that are not compatible with 2011 mags, ar-15 mag caddies, pcc caddies).

I decided I want to try shooting 3gun open after buying a VR80. Only shot a couple 3 gun matches and intend to compete with my USPSA open pistol (9 major)

Looks like I can get a part from DA to get my alpha-x holster on safariland belt and there are alpha-x mag caddy adapters for els or 2" belt hangers.

Alternatively I can buy new caddies for AR and shotgun and put on DA belt.

Questions -

1-how important is adjustability of belt when shooting 3 gun open? 

2-does DA alpha x holster provide enough security for an open USPSA 2011 gun?

3-are there better mag caddies for 1.5" or 1.75" belts?

4-which upgrade route should I take? 

Thanks for input!

Josh

Edited by PocketPistol
Fixed DA part options
19 hours ago, PocketPistol said:

Questions -

1-how important is adjustability of belt when shooting 3 gun open? 

2-does DA alpha x holster provide enough security for an open USPSA 2011 gun?

3-are there better mag caddies for 1.5" or 1.75" belts?

4-which upgrade route should I take? 

1 depends on the matches you shoot

just shot a 5 stage match reconfigured belt 3 times. Mostly adding /removing shot gun shell holders

2 don't know  most use a 014 Safari land holster. will you ever need a sling? If so The DA wont be ideal.

Yep, it's really gonna depend on the flavor of the matches you go to on the holster. 

You shouldn't need to rearrange your belt much if at all for open division. I move stuff off my front if I'm going prone but that's about it. 

Hangers for your shotgun mags work great, or put an els clip on the hanger and cut off the wings so it slides out easily. 

Like pretty much everything on this forum, it comes down to personal preference. 

For 3 gun, once you have your belt set up the way you like it, you're likely not going to change where you have things.  The beauty of the my safariland belt, is on non-shotgun stages, I can quickly unclip those holders and save myself the weight.  That's the thing with 3 gun - the constant changes and versatility you need.  You'll have a tough time convincing me to go with anything else because I can so quickly and easily switch my setup based on what stage I'm at.  Stages where I use all 3, I'm all set.  Stages where you use 1 or 2, you're still all set and you save the weight / comfort.

What I'm saying is, you'll put a ELS thing on your back for your extra rifle mag (or whatever wherever)...  and on stages you don't need it, you won't hook it up - but that setup will still be there.  You're not going to move that thing again (likely), but it's there if/when you need it - and it's super quick to remove what it holds.  That ELS system is amazing

Never shot open in 3gun, but I love the ELS for adaptability.  DAA makes an adapter for the mags to attach to a ELS clip.  I don't shoot 3gun anymore, but I still use my ELS belt for USPSA.  It allows me to change from CO to PCC in seconds and I can use the same belt.