Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this barrel look worn out?

mpolans

I just picked up a used open gun in .38super, round count unknown. When I test fired it with some of the previous owner’s reloads, I couldn’t get it to group any better than about 4-5” at 25 yards. I did notice there’s some leading in the comp. I pulled the gun apart and looking down the barrel, the grooves look a little shallow. What do y’all think?

4E008931-EE42-4552-B67B-60C3AC9BEE28.jpeg

5C331EDC-E3F7-4C34-BC48-EF65C2CD483D.jpeg

41376866-1685-4154-98A5-AB270A6FD18E.jpeg

18F0AA55-A4ED-4D51-8E1B-34164721C34C.jpeg

Edited by mpolans

14 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I would say no, the barrel is good. What were his loads?

Unfortunately, I don’t know. Old shooter with medical problems sold it to a bullseye shooter (I shoot bullseye too), who sold it to me...he didn’t know what the loads were either. Looked like 124gr Montana Golds, but don’t know powder. 

Edited by mpolans

Just looking at the pictures, I was thinking I'd like to see how deep the grooves are after a good cleaning. 

And then I saw the comp.

I'd run that through a sonic cleaner for a while (maybe a long while).

Borescopes are cheap these days.  $46 on Amazon.  I have one and it does an adequate job, especially for less than Fifty bucks.  However, prepare to be sad when you look at your rifle barrels.  The posted photo looks just like video from the one I own.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

61x2VvKej5L._AC_SL1319_.jpg

Pistol length rigid version goes down to .20 caliber  $40

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Cleaning-Right-Angle-Connectivity/dp/B08D67H7LZ/ref=sr_1_23_sspa

Edited by Ming the Merciless

• 3 weeks later...

Rifling looks ok from what I can see but it looks to be coppered up with some leading. Herter's makes ammo with nylon bullets, fling half a dozen through to clean it out. If you can't lay your hands on any then get a de-coppering solvent and a stiff brush and give it the Tony Danza (WHO'S THE BOSS?) then if it continues to have leading issues I'd slug it to make sure you're using the correct bullet diameter and, if you are, I'd lap the barrel to remove whatever is dragging at the bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it has a lot of lead fowling to me. Had an old Fowl out machine Outer's used to make. Used the lead out solution in a pistol barrel I had and pulled the lead out of it and it looked brand new.