Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp 01 magazine release

Russty

My newish (500-800 rounds) CZ SP01 mag doesn't always drop mags cleanly. I happen to have a spare release spring, so I put it in. Still happens every 3rd or 4th time. The mag drops about a half inch, then stops. Ideas? I just realized, I should check the mag guide inside the grip, will do that when I get home. Anything else, though? TIA.

A common thing is to press the release too far. 

I think CZ custom sells a pre bent spring that solves the problem. 

Edit: they do sku 10206, or you can bend per the picture on their website.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

On 3/30/2021 at 6:21 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Hmm, troublesome. I checked the magazine guide; it's flat as can be. I bent the magazine release spring leg per Tok36. Still, about every 10-15 mag changes, it gets stuck. I removed my Lok brass grips, thinking they might be binding somehow. They had no rub marks and seemed good. I had them  screwed down super tight, that MIGHT have been the issue. After putting them back on not as tightly screwed down, I practiced mag changes and had one stick in about 50 ish. Better, not great. Might totally change out the grips, just to see if they really are the problem. I have a backup gun set up the same and it has no issues. I might just swap grips with that gun and see where that gets me. I really want both guns to be spot on.

Practice a bit without the grips on. Also try this, overexaggerate the magazine release push with your thumb, push down as fast and as hard as you can. If it jams then it's because of the magazine release spring.

If it's the grips then practicing without grips it won't happen. If it's the magazine release it will still happen. 

OK. Swapped grips, still happened. I did notice that I can actually feel the mag release pushing out and hitting my strong hand. Sooooo, I think it's that. I mean, my strong hand blocking the magazine release. I spent some time practicing, being aware of how I grip the gun when I hit the mag release and I think that's it. It did not happen again. Only did 100 or so reps, so I'll find out more, later.