Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

Yep, different life situations.  If you're married, both working professional jobs, and no kids, you probably have pretty significant disposable income.  So a bunch of nice guns, boat, etc. is not a big deal.  If married with kids and one person working a blue-collar job, you're probably not going to be buying SV open guns two at a time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about thinking about this situation in the most fundamental manner. A super expensive high end pistol isn't going to function any "better" than a competently built one. If a pistol is built properly it will be accurate, reliable, and provide you a service life that will exceed most peoples tenure in the shooting sports. Once a pistol's service life gets past 50K down the pipe you have likely shot more $$$ in ammo than what the gun cost. That is also considering pre-COVID reloaded ammo costs and paying big bucks for the gun.

 

You can find accurate and reliable 2011 based pistols in the $2,500 - $3,500 range depending on what "Features" you want or the complexity of the build. When high end custom 2011 builds get in the $7K - $10K range the extra cost is more associated with Brand or Fashion vs function. I like to call it the "Nike" factor from a branding perspective. Nike shoes are not built with better materials or processes than "Cheaper" brands.

 

So what it really comes down to is if you can justify paying extra $$$ for fashion features or a brand logo on the gun. I have nothing against people paying extra for those things. We are all adults and can spend our money however we want to. I am simply pointing out the facts of the situation so you can have all the data points to make an informed decision. 

 

To me, competition guns are nothing more than tools to get the job done. My top requirements are accuracy, reliability and a long service life. If a pistol achieves those requirements then I really don't care what it looks like. If it looks cool along with those requirements then its icing on the cake. I also have zero sentimental attachment to any of my competition guns. If one stops performing as required, then its repaired or decommissioned and replaced with another. Such is life when racing guns.

Edited by CHA-LEE
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

To me, competition guns are nothing more than tools to get the job done. My top requirements are accuracy, reliability and a long service life. If a pistol achieves those requirements then I really don't care what it looks like. If it looks cool along with those requirements then its icing on the cake. I also have zero sentimental attachment to any of my competition guns. If one stops performing as required, then its repaired or decommissioned and replaced with another. Such is life when racing guns.

 

This is pretty much spot on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The main appeal to me for SV is the parts.  I can build a gun just as good, if not better, than most any big name smith.  And every one 100% reliable.  But I can't buy SV frames any more.  There are other options on the market, and I have some very nice guns on frames from PT and others.  But my main gun is an SV. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's only metal.  But all metal isn't the same.  And what's done to it isn't the same.  I would also disagree with the comment about the cost being due to fashion features or brand logo.  That may be true after a certain point, but much of what you're paying for is quality materials, quality workmanship, and something that's built to your specifications.  If you want a certain combination of parts and features, you may not have a choice.  My SV Limited gun is about as plain as you can get.  But I had stuff done that no one would notice just by looking at the gun.  Like weight removed from inside the slide, instead of a bunch of fancy cuts.  It does the same thing, but without the bling.  As for brand, I don't have any extra logos or fancy engraving on the slide or frame, cuts in the grip, or anything like that.  In fact, I specifically requested my magwell be machined without the Infinity logo on it.  Yes, it's just a tool.  But there's a reason it cost what it does, and at least for me, that's 100% related to function and not fashion or brand/status.

Edited by ltdmstr
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just got my first SVI and I have to answer my own question now. I do not regret spending the money. I have a couple of other 2011's which I consider nice guns but this SVI feels different. It even has a different sound upon lockup. I can tell that this will not be my last Infinity. These are nice guns!

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2003/4 I decided to have a custom gun built. 18 months and a couple of "Where's my gun?" phone calls later i said "I could have had two Edges for what this gun cost." The builder missed a couple of delivery dates and added expensive features that I hadn't asked for. 

 

There are some people on this forum (and in this very thread) who are discerning and knowledgeable enough to truly make a distinction between quality of work and quality of parts. I am not one of them, and I suspect that most shooters are not either. 

 

This discussion, or a variant of it, come up on this forum pretty regularly. My observation is that people who have guns built (By SV or whoever) do tend to focus on the bling, or resale value or custom serial numbers etc. Very few are actually shooting enough to note the qualitative differences between a custom gun and a factory gun. 

 

I focus on function rather than form. 

 

Stating an opinion based on observation.......not looking to start an Internet Battle of Wits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'd say if you're happy with an STI, and they build a gun you like, then don't spend the extra money for an SV.  I just hope your Edge works, doesn't require a bunch of parts changes and modifications to get running, and lasts.  All of those are hit or miss.  Same for most other companies in the business.  I've seen a $5k+ gun from a big name builder with bottom lugs on the barrel that looked like they were cut with a chain saw file.  And worse.  For STI, I've seen so much junk, I haven't used any of their parts in probably 15-20 years.  Just like most other stuff, you get what you pay for.  Really, for those who can't tell the difference in material and construction between an SV and various others, I'd say buy the cheaper gun and be happy with your decision.  But to say the difference is cosmetics and bling, is simply not true.  Sure, the fancy graphics and stuff like that is unnecessary.  And certainly not what I'd want.  But for buyers who like that kind of thing, what's wrong with that?  It's their gun and their money.  And I doubt for most the bling is the primary motivation.  Most SV shooters I've met are experienced shooters who got tired of dealing with other companies that put out substandard products and workmanship so they decided to try something different.  And getting back to the OP's inquiry, so far I haven't seen anyone posting about buying an SV and regretting that decision.   

Edited by ltdmstr
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, konkapot said:

In 2003/4 I decided to have a custom gun built. 18 months and a couple of "Where's my gun?" phone calls later i said "I could have had two Edges for what this gun cost." The builder missed a couple of delivery dates and added expensive features that I hadn't asked for. 

 

There are some people on this forum (and in this very thread) who are discerning and knowledgeable enough to truly make a distinction between quality of work and quality of parts. I am not one of them, and I suspect that most shooters are not either. 

 

This discussion, or a variant of it, come up on this forum pretty regularly. My observation is that people who have guns built (By SV or whoever) do tend to focus on the bling, or resale value or custom serial numbers etc. Very few are actually shooting enough to note the qualitative differences between a custom gun and a factory gun. 

 

I focus on function rather than form. 

 

Stating an opinion based on observation.......not looking to start an Internet Battle of Wits. 

My SV Limited has over 70,000 rounds.  I think that might qualify for 'actually shooting enough', add in a 1911 and a dedicated 3 gun.  The SS get shot weekly, the 3 Gun not so much.

The function of my SVs exceeds their form. :-).

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Yes, it's only metal.  But all metal isn't the same.  And what's done to it isn't the same.  I would also disagree with the comment about the cost being due to fashion features or brand logo.  That may be true after a certain point, but much of what you're paying for is quality materials, quality workmanship, and something that's built to your specifications.  If you want a certain combination of parts and features, you may not have a choice.  My SV Limited gun is about as plain as you can get.  But I had stuff done that no one would notice just by looking at the gun.  Like weight removed from inside the slide, instead of a bunch of fancy cuts.  It does the same thing, but without the bling.  As for brand, I don't have any extra logos or fancy engraving on the slide or frame, cuts in the grip, or anything like that.  In fact, I specifically requested my magwell be machined without the Infinity logo on it.  Yes, it's just a tool.  But there's a reason it cost what it does, and at least for me, that's 100% related to function and not fashion or brand/status.

+1

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have owned and shot mostly all well built guns by reputable builders.. Svi stands above and behond them all. Svi's built quality, material, fit and finish is like no other. 

My personal take on it!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Furrly said:

I have owned and shot mostly all well built guns by reputable builders.. Svi stands above and behond them all. Svi's built quality, material, fit and finish is like no other. 

My personal take on it!! 

 

How is the SVI better built or made from better material than a Les Bauer or Bennie Hill (Triangle) or etc.? No argument that they have more bling and no reason that a person can't take satisfaction from having what they want, just have not seen anything that differentiates the $3000+ guns from the $5500 + guns in terms of function or reliability. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

How is the SVI better built or made from better material than a Les Bauer or Bennie Hill (Triangle) or etc.? No argument that they have more bling and no reason that a person can't take satisfaction from having what they want, just have not seen anything that differentiates the $3000+ guns from the $5500 + guns in terms of function or reliability. 

Maybe it's made of steel from Mars, which has no wear and never breaks.😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 2004/2005 I had SV build me a custom sight tracker limited gun.  It was a beauty, and I enjoyed shooting it for a couple of years, then for reasons unknown to me, I started shooting Glocks and found them more comfortable for me to shoot, and I've been shooting them ever since.  I put the SV away and haven't touched it since.  I don't regret that purchase one bit, I still love the gun, I just don't shoot it.  It's still the coolest, most expensive gun I own, and one day my two kids can draw straws to see who gets it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Back in 2004/2005 I had SV build me a custom sight tracker limited gun.  It was a beauty, and I enjoyed shooting it for a couple of years, then for reasons unknown to me, I started shooting Glocks and found them more comfortable for me to shoot,

 

Much as we argue about this and that, if the poop ever hit the fan and lives were at stake, most of us would grab the Glock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know, 29 rounds of 124 grain 9mm hollow points running at 1400 FPS with a red dot....I’d still have a glock on me😜

Edited by Nugget
Add
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

How is the SVI better built or made from better material than a Les Bauer or Bennie Hill (Triangle) or etc.? No argument that they have more bling and no reason that a person can't take satisfaction from having what they want, just have not seen anything that differentiates the $3000+ guns from the $5500 + guns in terms of function or reliability. 

 

I don't think most are going to SV for single stack guns.  But as per Baer, it's fine gun for the money.  My only complaint with them is their frames are a bit different than most 1911s.  Also, I'm pretty sure they don't make all their own parts in house, and the off the shelf stuff, although decent quality, isn't the same in terms of material, design or manufacture as what SV produces.  With regard to Bennie Hill, if he's going to build you a complete custom gun with finish and everything else, to your specs, for $3k, that's a great deal.  Especially considering parts will cost 1500-2000 and finish adds at least another 300.  So, if that's the actual price, and you like what he does, I'd suggest you go for it.  But, tell me what options he offers, what parts he's going to use, and what the finished gun is going to look like, and ]what the final price will be.  Then we can compare.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

Much as we argue about this and that, if the poop ever hit the fan and lives were at stake, most of us would grab the Glock. 

 

Nope.  I'm grabbing an AR or AK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

 

With regard to Bennie Hill, if he's going to build you a complete custom gun with finish and everything else, to your specs, for $3k, that's a great deal.  Especially considering parts will cost 1500-2000 and finish adds at least another 300.  So, if that's the actual price, and you like what he does, I'd suggest you go for it.  But, tell me what options he offers, what parts he's going to use, and what the finished gun is going to look like, and ]what the final price will be.  Then we can compare.  

 

http://triangleshootingsports.com/products/pistol-3/

 

I went with the 2011 5" in black when I was shooting limited, since I am one of the 'guns are tools & bling doesn't matter' folks I think the gun and 2 tuned mags came in at 3200. 

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Also, I'm pretty sure they don't make all their own parts in house, and the off the shelf stuff, although decent quality, isn't the same in terms of material, design or manufacture as what SV produces.

 

I would agree that either it is better or it is worse, would need to see data that demonstrates an advantage one way or another. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

http://triangleshootingsports.com/products/pistol-3/

 

I went with the 2011 5" in black when I was shooting limited, since I am one of the 'guns are tools & bling doesn't matter' folks I think the gun and 2 tuned mags came in at 3200. 

 

I would agree that either it is better or it is worse, would need to see data that demonstrates an advantage one way or another. 

 

 

Well, to start, that gun is built on STI frame with a plastic grip.  So cheap, subpar parts to start with.  And what barrel and other parts is he using?  If they're STI or similar, just more junk.  So I'm not sure how you can even suggest that's comparable to an SV.  If you want a closer comparison, maybe start with that package, then upgrade to a PT frame, aluminum trigger and metal grip.  That'll add close to another grand, which puts you in the same price range as a SV limited gun.  Or, if you don't agree with that, go check some of the other big name companies.  What does a high end Atlas limited gun sell for?  Last I checked, Titans are around $4k and a Nemesis is $6k.  Or how about a Honcho?  The 3-gun/limited model is $5500.  Are those also priced where they are because of cosmetics and bling?

Link to post
Share on other sites

SVI Infinity have one, and yes the slide is like on ball bearings.  It feels just as good as the one Bennie Hill at Triangle did for me.  

Known Bennie and his work for 20 years, his guns run and they hold up, great gun at a good price, lots of bang for the buck.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...