Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor type on my 2011 STI

bababoris

I purchased a 40sw STI built by Rich Dettlehouser.  Trying to get it to run with my ammo.  I've been troubleshooting a couple of potential issues I ran into in my first match with the gun which were feeding and extraction issues.  First issue is the OAL of my reloads.  I believe mine are too short.  That is somewhat an easy fix.  The other potential issue is the extractor.  It seems pretty tight.  I did the shake the case out of the extractor test and that case just would not shake out.  I guess I am going to have to disassemble the slide to figure out what sort of extractor was used by Rich and go from there. 

IMG_3337.jfif IMG_3335.jfif

2 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

If you can get a pic of the extractor out of the slide, I'm sure someone can identify it.

ok.  i have to man up and take the slide apart.  It will my first time so working up courage to do it.

It doesn't look like an Aftec, but you never know.  Be very careful removing it.  Do it very slowly near the end.  If it is an Aftec and you pull it out quickly you may break the wings off the cap.  That will cost you $30.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

It doesn't look like an Aftec, but you never know.  Be very careful removing it.  Do it very slowly near the end.  If it is an Aftec and you pull it out quickly you may break the wings off the cap.  That will cost you $30.

Thanks for the advice.  Will do.

It really doesn't matter what brand extractor it is, tension is either correct or it isn't hook is either broken/worn out or not. 

I suggest you do pull the extractor the tunnels tend to get full of crap and cause problems, so pulling it out and cleaning it should be done on a semi regular basis. 

If its extractor tension you can just re bend it to get the tension you want, or if Aftec change the springs. A new extract is NOT a drop in part, it will not have the correct tension the hook may need some reshaping and the back will not match the back of the slide. 

10 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

It really doesn't matter what brand extractor it is, tension is either correct or it isn't hook is either broken/worn out or not. 

I suggest you do pull the extractor the tunnels tend to get full of crap and cause problems, so pulling it out and cleaning it should be done on a semi regular basis. 

If its extractor tension you can just re bend it to get the tension you want, or if Aftec change the springs. A new extract is NOT a drop in part, it will not have the correct tension the hook may need some reshaping and the back will not match the back of the slide. 

Understood.  Thank you

10 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Check out the thread I started on the topic of feeding......

Man that is great info.  Gotta process and digest it but that the info is super helpful.  Thanks again.