Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules 9.5.2, 9.5.2.1 and "Notes - Scoring Targets"

CKing866

I'm confused by the rules and illustration (included below and attached) regarding scoring no-shoots overlaying a scoring target and could use some help understanding.   I assume each of the examples in the illustration show the bullet diameter touching the scoring line on the no-shoot and NOT extending outside of the scoring line.  If that is the case, it took me a while to understand it, but that led to another question (if that's not the case, then I'm really confused.):

If the shot extends outside of the scoring line on the no-shoot into the scoring area of the underlying target, then would example #6, for instance, be still be scored as "C, NS" or would it be scored as "A, NS" under 9.5.2?  It would seem to me that 9.5.2.1 would not apply because part of the bullet diameter would have hit the scoring target.

"9.5.2 If the bullet diameter of a hit on a scoring target touches the scoring line between two scoring areas, or the line between the non-scoring border and a scoring area, or if it crosses multiple scoring areas, it will be scored the higher value.

9.5.2.1 Additionally, Rule 9.5.2 is clarified to apply only to the visible portions of targets. It specifically does not apply to any area of any target which is in direct contact with and overlapped by the scoring area of another target (scoring and/or no-shoots) or by hard cover. See illustration in Notes section."

image.png.eee17aab4de05a681f5ddf159dfebe57.png

Page 119 from 2021-USPSA-Competition-Rules-March-2021.pdf

For the target presentation displayed on Page 119, only Rule 9.5.2.1 applies.  The concept is that the scoring area (including the perforation line) of the "over" target is impenetrable by rule, therefore whatever is underneath that impenetrable area cannot be impacted by the bullet.

This is explained in detail during the RO Seminar.

HTH

touching the scoring line and extending past the scoring line are the exact same thing.

in example 6, there is no way to score an A because the A zone is entirely hidden behind the no-shoot, which is considered impenetrable.

Your question about #6 is why setting up targets is very important and why some are setup the way they are intentionally. And especially why when changing out targets it is extremely important to line up all parts identical to how they were previously. 

Had the no shoot been slightly left by the thickness of the perforation, then #6 would have been A, NS and not C, NS since the perforation around the A zone would not have been covered by the scoring portion of the no shoot. So if not replaced properly then some squads had a scoring advantage over others after the target change.