Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo shortage: Which division should I shoot .45 GAP minor?

mreed911

Backstory: Running lower on 9mm than I'd care for and I don't reload.  Got a great deal (in today's standards) on a lot of .45 GAP, and have a Glock 37 to shoot it from.  It's all minor power factor, though...

What USPSA division would you think this would best fit into: Production or Limited 10 (Minor)?

• Glock 37 in .45 GAP
  • Standard 10 round magazines
  • 140gr MINOR load (158 PF)

Production seems to be the better option.  I'll likely be using it for Steel Challenge production, too.

Just now, motosapiens said:

whichever one has more heat in your neighborhood..... which is probably production since almost no one shoots L10, esp L10 minor.

Seems right.  Too bad the ammo available wasn't major PF.  Or is the right answer "nobody chrono's at Level 1's?"  (I'm kidding, in case anyone misses the sarcasm)

You should definitely run that 45 GAP in a S&W 625, at minor power factor, in production division.... Just to show people how dominant you are when you beat them!

But seriously, production would be fine, and you wouldn’t lose out on anything - you’re shooting minor and can still have 10 round mags. If you have a G37, I’m assuming it’s not your only glock, so also keeps the form factor for you. Just curious, what was your primary gun? Glock as well?

59 minutes ago, J_Allen said:

You should definitely run that 45 GAP in a S&W 625, at minor power factor, in production division.... Just to show people how dominant you are when you beat them!

But seriously, production would be fine, and you wouldn’t lose out on anything - you’re shooting minor and can still have 10 round mags. If you have a G37, I’m assuming it’s not your only glock, so also keeps the form factor for you. Just curious, what was your primary gun? Glock as well?

Primary guns are Glock 45 (CO) with a 17g5 backup, and a Glock 45 (PROD).  So yeah, small frame, same grip, just slightly bigger bullets.  In fact, once I make B (probably this weekend) in CO I'll probably switch to PROD for the rest of the year just because I have the ammo.  I'll save the 9mm for Level II's I want to shoot CO instead.

Worst comes to worst I've got lots of factory (major++) .40 cal, and enough Syntech .45 to keep the single stacks happy.

Since you run small frame glocks, I think the G37 running 45 GAP would be just fine in an ammo crunch. However, even though it would share the same grip, the slide is a little thicker than the other small frame glocks, and I believe you would need a new holster.

40 minutes ago, J_Allen said:

Since you run small frame glocks, I think the G37 running 45 GAP would be just fine in an ammo crunch. However, even though it would share the same grip, the slide is a little thicker than the other small frame glocks, and I believe you would need a new holster.

I run a modified Comp-Tac and it fit with a little filing.

On 3/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, mreed911 said:

Backstory: Running lower on 9mm than I'd care for and I don't reload.  Got a great deal (in today's standards) on a lot of .45 GAP, and have a Glock 37 to shoot it from.  It's all minor power factor, though...

What USPSA division would you think this would best fit into: Production or Limited 10 (Minor)?

• Glock 37 in .45 GAP
  • Standard 10 round magazines
  • 140gr MINOR load (158 PF)

Production seems to be the better option.  I'll likely be using it for Steel Challenge production, too.

If you reload, PM me your address. I have a small amount of 45 GAP brass that you can have.

22 minutes ago, 71Commander said:

If you reload, PM me your address. I have a small amount of 45 GAP brass that you can have.

I don't, but I appreciate the offer.  I couldn't start now if I wanted to... no primers.  :)