Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Handguard Removal - Ultralight Barrel - Question

Looking for help from JP owners.  I need to remove the jam nut and barrel nut on an Ultralight JP barrel.  I can't get the "port" cover off the barrel, and the jam nut won't go over the cover.  The cover ID is smaller than the OD of the barrel (due to the swell at the muzzle).  Even if I got the jam nut off, I wouldn't be able to get the barrel nut tool over the cover. 

If you own a GMR-15 with an Ultralight barrel, and know the trick for removing the handguard, your help will be much appreciated.

Edited by cferree

The port cover wouldn't slide over the end of the barrel so the barrel nut tool could be used.

I contacted another local JP shooter and he gave me the solution.  The clover had a build up of carbon that prevented the cover from sliding off the barrel.  The clearance was very tight.  All it took was a 60 second blast of gun scrubber and the port cover slid off.  I'll heat up the nut later this afternoon to break lock tight free and get the barrel nut off.

Edited by cferree

For folks wanting a quick clean on that port, Bore Tech Eliminator soaking (go crazy, it's cheap) followed by brake cleaner is about as fast as you can clean it. If you let it go too long and can't get any solvent on the crown the unofficial ways of cleaning are to chip it off or to use a chamber brush (nylon) in a drill and come in from the front. 

20 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

For folks wanting a quick clean on that port, Bore Tech Eliminator soaking (go crazy, it's cheap) followed by brake cleaner is about as fast as you can clean it. If you let it go too long and can't get any solvent on the crown the unofficial ways of cleaning are to chip it off or to use a chamber brush (nylon) in a drill and come in from the front. 

Bore Tech also has a Carbon Remover product.  Have you tried that stuff?