Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 929 issue

Brassblazer

(Update) no further posting needed. S&W is handling the issues through warranty. Very happy with the customer care ive recieved. Thanks to the genuine folks for the help. Ya’ll take care.  

Edited by Brassblazer
Closing thread edit

Always go to Smith & Wesson first.  I'd do it before an action job.  They've been real good at fixing problems.

TK does excellent work and I highly recommend them for your action work when you get your gun back.  

If it's just that little blem in the picture I'd just shoot the way it is.  

Maybe send a pix to TK direct and ask them, maybe even follow up with a call to them.  I'm sure they've seen similar.  

It is brand new and S&W should take care of it at no charge.  The bad factor is time, it may well take them several months.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:33 AM, AzShooter said:

Always go to Smith & Wesson first.  I'd do it before an action job.  They've been real good at fixing problems.

TK does excellent work and I highly recommend them for your action work when you get your gun back.  

If it's just that little blem in the picture I'd just shoot the way it is.  

Edited by Brassblazer

On 3/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, pskys2 said:

Maybe send a pix to TK direct and ask them, maybe even follow up with a call to them.  I'm sure they've seen similar.  

It is brand new and S&W should take care of it at no charge.  The bad factor is time, it may well take them several months.

Edited by Brassblazer

23 minutes ago, Brassblazer said:

Although It was rather annoying to find a couple blemishes on a brand new smith, that wasn’t a deal breaker for me at all...what bothered me was reading the nightmare stories others have experienced with the 929 and s&w’s poor quality control/customer care/warranty.

My 929 turned out to be one of the best revolvers I've shot.  I don't know how many thousands of rounds I put through it will no troubles at all.  

I installed an Apex Tactical Hammer and Firing Pin, got the trigger pull down to under 5 pounds and shot it.  Totally reliable.  Little blemishes don't bother me I guess.

42 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

My 929 turned out to be one of the best revolvers I've shot.  I don't know how many thousands of rounds I put through it will no troubles at all.  

I installed an Apex Tactical Hammer and Firing Pin, got the trigger pull down to under 5 pounds and shot it.  Totally reliable.  Little blemishes don't bother me I guess.

Again, not the blemish itself but what caused the blemish is what I am trying to diagnose...as it hasn’t even been shot and wasn’t a display model at the shop, he told me it was on its way in from s&w directly as a NIB revolver  so I dished out the cash right then & there. When it arrived I was too busy focusing on checking lockup, end shake, action, forcing cone edge finish etc. to make sure all things checked out, I didn’t notice it till I had it home and was really going over it in my shop. guess I’ve filled my head with the negatives & need to focus on the positives that good folks such as yourself have experienced...I greatly appreciate you weighing in & you have greatly reduced  my concerns, so thank you sir. Hope you’re having a great day!

Edited by Brassblazer

While they should be perfect when new, especially for the prices they charge now, a competition gun is going to get some noticeable (normal) wear & tear when it gets used. Personally, I don't worry too much about the minor cosmetics on mine because they are working guns. That is not to say that someone else should not care about it. Everyone has different thoughts on things. Considering how much it would take to send it in and get it back, I would see how it shoots first. It may have other problems that need attention if you send it back, or you may decide that it works fine and just keep it as is.

8 hours ago, Toolguy said:

While they should be perfect when new, especially for the prices they charge now, a competition gun is going to get some noticeable (normal) wear & tear when it gets used. Personally, I don't worry too much about the minor cosmetics on mine because they are working guns. That is not to say that someone else should not care about it. Everyone has different thoughts on things. Considering how much it would take to send it in and get it back, I would see how it shoots first. It may have other problems that need attention if you send it back, or you may decide that it works fine and just keep it as is.

Edited by Brassblazer

That looks like a forging blemish to me.  You could put a die penetrate on the area to see if there is any flaw. I think S&W would just sand it smooth and reblast if you send it back. 😞

5 hours ago, 625 said:

That looks like a forging blemish to me.  You could put a die penetrate on the area to see if there is any flaw. I think S&W would just sand it smooth and reblast if you send it back. 😞

Edited by Brassblazer

20 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Oy vay, the question's been answered a few times already, but you don't seem to like it.

My advice, shoot the living crap out of it, or take up golf. You may be happier.

Edited by Brassblazer

20 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I agree there, I will ultimately put MANY more marks on a gun!  As long as it is functional and doesn't have a noticeable defect I'm usually good.

I buy guns to use for EDC or Competition if they don't look worn after a year, time to trade/sell and get something else.

10 hours ago, Brassblazer said:

Lol😂Yeah it is what it is. Not going to worry about it anymore. Didn’t find anything that jumped out at me. 

Great maybe we will run into each other at a Match somewhere!!!!

On 3/28/2021 at 9:34 AM, pskys2 said:

Time, and communication. My 929  took about 3 months (from memory) and I could not find out diddly until I got a return shipping notice. Ruger, on the other hand, communicated every step of the way.

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Time, and communication. My 929  took about 3 months (from memory) and I could not find out diddly until I got a return shipping notice. Ruger, on the other hand, communicated every step of the way.

Edited by Brassblazer

2 hours ago, Brassblazer said:

Well at this point I have contacted a supervisor directly...stressed alot of factors to him & really bit their ear...I recieved a label they paid for and insured the cost of the firearm...he also assured me I will have it back in 3 weeks time. He was a real stand up gentleman. Going to be completely ran through and refinished. I already dropped it off this morning and tracking says its already on the way. I told him im not waiting longer than a month, he stated he will directly follow it through and gave me his word it will be 3 weeks MAX. Also provided his personal email, ext # & contact info. He saw the photos and was truly concerned...he apologized for it and promised it wouldn’t take more than the lead time he stated. There will be timing fixes & re bead blast, so to say the least it sounds as if this will be extremely expedited. I will keep you all informed, but my faith in SAW has been somewhat restored. We’ll see if they follow through with their promise. Im thinking positive. I’m sure they know at this point how serious I am. 

So how serious are you, will you refuse the revolver if it comes back with another blemish. Will you sue S&W or will you bad mouth them here on this forum. Curious 🧐 minds want to know. 
All this drama could have been saved by inspecting the revolver before accepting it. Hope you the best as S&W has always treated me with great customer service.