Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading space

Really, as long as you can pull the handle you should be good to go. However, I personally keep about 2-3 feet in between my presses simply for ease of placing a bullet box or box of cases or a case gauge or whatever else on the bench next to it so that there is still a little room to work with. If you have a different area of your bench you do that on you could probably get away with a little less but I like to work right next to the press I’m loading on at the time. Hope this helps

Rough guess, a 4’ x 4’ area should give you enough room.  As in all reloading presses the biggest issue is a solid platform to mount the press on. 

What really takes up all the room are all the extras you will add to the reloading process. Dies, tool heads, powder, primers, brass, …. In comparison the press takes up very little space. 😉

I have my 550b attached to a black and decker work bench. Been loading on it for about 30 years. The original wood rotted  out and I put a pressure treated floor tread on it about 20 years ago. It’s out on my screened in porch. I take the tool head inside and leave the frame covered.

• 1 month later...

Assuming a 24" deep bench about 18" past the press, less would work but it gets cramped.  What I have next to the press (Hornady LnL) is a container of bullets, powder scale, scoop to aid with dialing in the powder measure and space to deal with needing to clear the shell plate,etc.  I have 36" next to mine BUT it is more than absolutely required.

Good luck.

Edited by Tunachaser

• 1 month later...

The only rust I have seen is a little on the primer magazine tube. I wipe down the ram ever so often with oil and that’s about it. I do keep it covered with the Dillon nylon cover. I completely tear it down twice a year to grease and clean it. It’s been outside on my screened in back porch in florida for about 30 years. IFIRC it’s been back to dillon once years ago.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, Sherlock1895 said:

How much, or little, space is needed on either side of a progressive reloader?  
Cheers,

Gary

In theory, you could put a progressive press on one of these bench grinder stands :

188485_ts.jpg&ehk=UlGFl7HrxwM5kV8MxA%2BA

But like somebody else said up above, it is the storing of all the primers, bullets, cases, powder, etc. that eats up a lot of space.

I was lucky in that I found    this 6 foot tall Wright Line media cabinet from a surplus furniture store.  It has a tambour door like what a roll top desk has.  Those gray metal shelves are actually drawers.  I liked the 6 footer so much I went back and got a 7 footer:

7BBD7D2A-3AED-49F6-93F7-2764EBCC5F80.thumb.jpeg.1d88554799e2ce877b80a7ae2b5cc0ba.jpeg