Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Trouble

Racinready300ex

I have a shadow 2, and I have 2 slides with dots on them . The photo isn't a actual malfunction it's a recreation for explanation purposes. Both slides have had this happen

The round count is pretty low on both slides, and this doesn't happen often maybe 5 times total in a few thousand rounds I've put on the gun. The slide in the photo currently has a new stock extractor spring in it. For a while I did have a extra power extractor spring and I don't remember it doing this then but I may have just not shot enough. The extra power spring was causing feeding issues, even with a 13 lbs recoil spring sometimes it wouldn't chamber the next round. Going back to a stock spring I'm running a 11 lbs spring with no feeding problems.

If it matters the gun has cajun trigger parts, 11 lbs CGW recoil spring, 13 lbs CZC hammer spring. 

From what I've read most people will say new extractor and spring even though both of these are pretty new. A few posts suggest a extra power extractor spring but that was coming with it's own issues. 

Any other suggestions?

IMG_20210326_054907715.jpg

1 hour ago, WxGuy said:

Are you using a shock buffer on the guiderod?  If you are, toss it.  Maybe try a lighter recoil spring?

I am not using a buffer, recoil spring was something I was considering. It seems to be getting it out of the chamber so maybe if it had some extra velocity it would chunk it better. but that's just a guess.

Are you shooting reloads?  Does the trouble happen with all brand cases?   
I’m wondering if the recoil/slide spring is too heavy and it’s short cycling.  Other possibilities too heavy of a ejector spring.   Just a few thought.   Good luck!

My only thought would be if the gun is short stroking possibly. I would try a lighter recoil spring (think I use an 11lb iirc) or maybe some slightly hotter ammo? Your load might be right in the edge and those are on the low side of powder drop are just a little too light. I shout about 15k rounds in my S2 in 12 months and only had one misfeed in that time that I can remember. 

On 3/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, WxGuy said:

Are you using a shock buffer on the guiderod?  If you are, toss it.  Maybe try a lighter recoil spring?

I have thousands in my S2 OR- with the buffer.

Looks to me like the extractor must be popping off the case rim, then "catching" the empty case when closing, instead of pulling it back with the slide and chucking it...

I'd take a look at what's going on with the extractor as far as just examining it, maybe cleaning gunk out of the channel and/or making sure the spring is sitting correctly? You might even just need a new one if it's just not grabbing/holding cases like it should be..? I've never had it happen in a CZ but have had a chipped extractor mess up an otherwise perfectly good Glock...

Had a similar problem with my shadow 2. Replaced the extractor spring with an extra power wolf and it’s been trouble free for over a year. 

It was hard for me to believe that was the problem as the gun was still pretty new, but after some reading and research on here it seemed a fairly common fix. I seem to recall reading somewhere there was some differences in the depth of the pocket drilled for the extractor housing that caused some slides to have insufficient extractor tension.  

Sorry for partial thread steal. But do you guys have a preferred supplier for the extra power extractor springs? Was shooting my shadow 2 as a second gun at a super classifier and had FTE jams on last 3 stages >.<

2 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

Sorry for partial thread steal. But do you guys have a preferred supplier for the extra power extractor springs? Was shooting my shadow 2 as a second gun at a super classifier and had FTE jams on last 3 stages >.<

I picked a few up from Midway when I was making an order. It’s one of those items that’s frustrating to order as the shipping usually cost more than the part!

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem with mine. Extra power spring fixed it. My buddy has one doing the same thing. I have an extra power spring for him but haven't met up to give it to him.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:26 PM, MHitchcock said:

patriot defense makes a very stout extra power extractor spring.