Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding weight (Glock Frame Only, 17/34, Gen 3/4/5)

vluc

With the new rules, what are those of you trying to add weight to the frame of the Glock finding?  I am asking specifically for the increase of frame weight in either Gen 3 or Gen 4/5 since the back cavity is smaller.  Starting at about 5.5 ounces for a frame with all controls in it.

I've gotten a Gen 3 frame to 8.7 ounces (Glock 17 frame), a Gen 4  ( 2 of them, G34.4) up to 8.3 ounces with a variety of items.  Has anyone gotten them up higher, and if so, how?  I think I may be able to get the Gen 4 up a touch more but don't know if a quarter ounce is worth it.  Curious what the maximum might be.

Frame only, not the entire gun.

Thanks!  I'm a more DIY .  I've used carver brass plugs, thug plugs, tungsten putty and tungsten balls. disks, etc.  Cost is so minimal, though I can't see adding 8-10 ounce onto the existing frame without some serious effort that a DIY doesn't want to g into, LOL.  A Glock frame at 13-15 ounces?  Oh boy. 

Hello: Have you thought of wrapping the outside of the grip with lead tape like the style they use on golf clubs? You could also mill out the area on the inside of where the rail is and add weight in there also. I am not sure having a super heavy Glock will actually be any better than one with just heavy magwell area using plugs and putty. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Have you thought of wrapping the outside of the grip with lead tape like the style they use on golf clubs? You could also mill out the area on the inside of where the rail is and add weight in there also. I am not sure having a super heavy Glock will actually be any better than one with just heavy magwell area using plugs and putty. Thanks, Eric

That did cross my mind.  Shot the 17 last weekend and it, along with a Dawson base pad with some lead weight in it really changed the way the gun behaved, sight acquisition on the dot was much faster as were the follow-up shots.

3 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I'm looking at going the same thing. Going to put in some tungsten blocks in my gen 5 cavity and then putty and disks in the back straps as able.

https://www.maximum-velocity.com/product/9-32-inch-tungsten-rod-3-5-ounces/

But this will likely only add 5 oz or so.

Where I got my tungsten from.  Right now, without a tungsten guide rod, just a SS one, I'm at 30 ounces for the entire gun.  Not overly much but a difference maker for me.  I just like how it sits in my hand now.

Edited by vluc

58 minutes ago, vluc said:

Where I got my tungsten from.  Right now, without a tungsten guide rod, just a SS one, I'm at 30 ounces for the entire gun.  Not overly much but a difference maker for me.  I just like how it sits in my hand now.

If you go the Tungsten guide rod route, I really like my Jentra. I had it come apart on me one time, but he said I’m only the second person ever to have that happen. He seemed like a straight shooter. 

• 1 month later...

Throw a TLR on there and call it a day - I recently bought a dedicated frame weight but after running drills, there is a steep cliff for diminishing returns for frame weights.  The TLR fits many holsters which makes it an easy addition.

Hello, I have been shooting my G17 gen 5 quite a bit. If you set the pistol up I find I don't need the extra weight. I am using a heavy Jentra tungsten G34 guide rod I cut back to fit flush with the G17 slide. Wolff 13lb recoil spring. Carver brass magwell insert. That is all I am using and can get some pretty quick splits at 7 yards with the shots stacking on each other. For me I don't see a need to add any extra weight. Do some testing and see what actually works for you using a timer. Thanks, Eric

LOL, old thread guys, 

Verdict is out on the guide rods.  Aircooled hooked me up with a Jentra and I got another from glockstore.  Not pleased with the handling on the slide end with the 2nd shots.  Have to practice more with it.

Not going with the light or the LOK or anything else.  I may be chasing a phantom as I've seen little improvement from the stock weight versus the heavier gun.

Edited by vluc

• 3 weeks later...

Vluc,

basically what I’ve found. Very little to no difference between tungsten rods and lights to stock gun. It definitely changes the balance and feel of recoil. Then I feel like I almost have to do extra re-training with the different recoil and feel. Just leaving stock. 

I just put 1.5oz in my gen 5 34 backstrap layering tungsten putty and disks until I couldn't fit more. I'm going to add more to the grip cavity and then throw a light on and see if it changes anything.

• 3 months later...

Weight is your friend, but not to sure in a Glock. It can get tricky on reliability when to much weight is added. The frame was designed to have some flex in it.  That being said, I even tried the steel frame years ago, but it was a waist of money, because it would not run at all.  May have been just a bad design. We have ran the whole circle over the years in our competition guns.  Weight is good and it is simple physics to minimize the movement. I have the brass magwell and a heavy guide rod. Wish there were better options.

I just packed the backstrap with tungsten shot and putty mix and the full length tungsten guide rod, it balanced it pretty nice (like stock) just a little more weight. Really not much else to do and recoil really not a issue for me with my 147 handloads   (gen 5 34 ) 

For what it's worth, I made a video a while back for adding weight to the front of the gun using a GlockStore pure tungsten guide rod and a LOK brass flashlight on a G35 in 40. Take what you think happens and evaluate if you think it's worth it, maybe try it for yourself. I've since returned the light back to the owner and settled on just the tungsten guide rod.

So I don’t reload and have only been able to buy very snappy 115 grain bullets for my 34. To try and tame the recoil I added the usual, tungsten guide rod and grip plug. I then added a Streamlight HD, heavy because of the two batteries and then added the Taylor Freelance brass Speed Wedges to all my mags. I found that this combination has done wonders for  my shooting. Hope this helps. 

I started this thread and am chiming in to say I've gone full circle, pulled out nearly all the weight and went back to a modified Carver plug and a tungsten guide rod.  Found the extra weight wasn't for me - and I admit I should have given it a season or two, but the results - for me - were not encouraging.  But that's my ego getting in the way.

Neither approach has worked well.

1 hour ago, vluc said:

I started this thread and am chiming in to say I've gone full circle, pulled out nearly all the weight and went back to a modified Carver plug and a tungsten guide rod.  Found the extra weight wasn't for me - and I admit I should have given it a season or two, but the results - for me - were not encouraging.  But that's my ego getting in the way.

Neither approach has worked well.

I'm of the opinion that the extra weight really serves more as a distraction. There's a lot to be gained more by simply experimenting how placement and pressures of your grip strengthens or weakens recoil control. As a reference I typically shoot a stock g17 in CO.

I’m still chasing my tail on this. I have a 17 with Toni System frame weight and Carver heavy mag well that adds a significant amount of weight. Then I have a 34 with just a Dawson Ice magwell, and a relatively stock Gen5 34. They all have red dots on them. I keep going back and forth and back and forth. I keep hoping there is something I can buy that will improve my shooting without having to practice. I haven’t found it yet. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I’m still chasing my tail on this. I have a 17 with Toni System frame weight and Carver heavy mag well that adds a significant amount of weight. Then I have a 34 with just a Dawson Ice magwell, and a relatively stock Gen5 34. They all have red dots on them. I keep going back and forth and back and forth. I keep hoping there is something I can buy that will improve my shooting without having to practice. I haven’t found it yet. 

Ive heard all you need to do is buy an open gun and you'll make GM😁

• 4 weeks later...

I think the issue comes with hanging weight off the fexible dust cover rail.  Being a poly you get flex and that bounce transfers.  Where the guide rod is held by the slide and does not create this effect.  Same goes for plug.  It's when you get past that trigger guard.  Now an all steel gun full dust cover rail weight up front is already there and very rigid.

Edited by tim_w