Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay variations?

leam

Just checking in with the experts to make sure I'm playing it safe. Loaded a small number of rounds for velocity testing. The OAL varied by 0.010 (1.130 - 1.140), is that acceptable? With five shot strings, the velocity varied by about 50 FPS from minimum to maximum. Again, anything to be concerned about?

I'm trying to get to a 130 PF so that I have a margin of error. Not really looking to get too hot.

21 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

It might be hard to find but get the Redding Competition seating die. The cheaper one without the micrometer unless you want to get the micrometer version which is even nicer. It changed my consistency in chrono data

I've looked at better dies, but really, I'm a D class shooter right now. Biggest things I need are practice and safety. And a 5 PF "fudge factor".  :)

On 3/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, leam said:

The OAL varied by 0.010 (1.130 - 1.140), is that acceptable? With five shot strings, the velocity varied by about 50 FPS from minimum to maximum.

If you are new to reloading the OAL variation should come down.  It's a function of consistence stroke on the press
AND bullet consistence and proper stem in the seating die.  Are you using a different seating and crimp die?  coated lead, plated or jacketed?  All can affect deviation.  It takes a little time for everything to "jell".

Load so that at it's longest the round still functions properly in your firearm(s) and move on with life. People are too fixated on issue that make little to no difference.

Words have never rung truer:

On 3/24/2021 at 5:54 PM, leam said:

I've looked at better dies, but really, I'm a D class shooter right now. Biggest things I need are practice and safety. And a 5 PF "fudge factor".  :)

P.S. I don't use any special dies, I just make sure my setup is tight and I get approximately ~ 0.005 variance with mixed brass, Dillon dies and a 650.

Edited by 4n2t0