Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie A01-LD "gunsmithing"

Posvar

😀 I worked on my back up A01-LD over the weekend in preparation for Area 6 and am kinda proud of myself. These guns seemed more complicated to me than a 2011 but after breaking them down it isn't too bad. Some mistakes along the way gave me the opportunity to even do more work. lol

My only grumble is that large hands and very small parts is not easy. 

Fitted an extended left side safety which really makes the gun feel more like a 2011 and gives a great ledge for your strongside thumb if you are right handed. Accidentally bent the sear spring and had to pull the sear cage and replace the spring. Installed the extended paddle mag catch/release. Also removed the rear iron sight RDS plate and installed the SRO plate and got the optic mounted and screws shortened and fitted. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

Edited by Posvar

• 1 month later...

I have only dabbled a little bit with CZ75 guns. The A01 is similar but a little different in some areas. I would the difference is minor refinements to make things simpler and less complicated. You will be fine! 

• 2 weeks later...

I found the A01LD to be a little more complicated than the typical CZ75.  

Simple things on the CZ75 like removing the trigger bar lifter spring and magazine spring are more challenging on the A01LD and involve 3 separate parts vs just the single staked screw on the CZ75.

As well, the A01LD doesn’t have a sear cage like the CZ75 does, so you have to reassemble the sear assembly inside the frame.

Overall, once you’ve figured out the differences, the biggest challenge is developing the manual dexterity to deal with all the small parts.

The A01LD is still my go to gun for IPSC.

21 minutes ago, Tunachaser said:

Thanks for all the is good information.  Hopefully in the near future I will have one, any suggestions on mods? other than polishing?  We need Prof. Atlas to to a tutorial..LOL

Hey Robb! A fellow San Diegan!! Shoot me a PM and I’m happy to share what I know about the A01 platform. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:07 AM, Tunachaser said:

Thanks for all the is good information.  Hopefully in the near future I will have one, any suggestions on mods? other than polishing?  We need Prof. Atlas to to a tutorial..LOL

CZC’s Fat Ghost Hammer or CZ Comp Hammer is a nice upgrade.  Extended mag catch as well.

Lighter main spring and recoil spring that is tuned to your preferred load.

Get a couple extra trigger bar lifter springs from CZC - they’re specific to the A01LD.  You can make a CZ75 spring work if you’re in a pinch, but it’s not 100%

Grips are a personal preference, but Loks are nice. I run CZC’s skate tape grips.

Edited by Hooked

10 minutes ago, jripper said:

Make a slave pin to replace the sear pin.  You can assemble the sear cage assembly out side of the frame using the slave pin.  Makes reassembly much easier.  

This is a great idea. I will do it. Thank you

Edited by Posvar

Just now, Posvar said:

This is a great idea. I will do it. Thank youThis is a great idea. I will do it. Thank you

Sure thing.  I just found a roll pin similar in size to the sear pin, and cut it to the length of the sear cage.  Makes is just about as easy as a 75 shadow to reassemble.  I do agree that the lifer spring is a little more difficult to remove, but otherwise don't think it's any harder to work on than a regular shadow.  

2 minutes ago, jripper said:

Sure thing.  I just found a roll pin similar in size to the sear pin, and cut it to the length of the sear cage.  Makes is just about as easy as a 75 shadow to reassemble.  I do agree that the lifer spring is a little more difficult to remove, but otherwise don't think it's any harder to work on than a regular shadow.  

The sear cage humbled me quickly because I have large fingers and I must’ve had to try it 50 times before I got it right.

Another learning moment was when I had the sear spring lifted out in the notch in order to remove the safeties and when I put it all back together I left it in the notch and put the slide on and racked the slide. That was a mistake. But those springs are cheap and it was a good learning experience. I like the fact that the A01 has an actual notch to put it in.

1 minute ago, Posvar said:

Another learning moment was when I had the sear spring lifted out in the notch in order to remove the safeties and when I put it all back together I left it in the notch and put the slide on and racked the slide. That was a mistake. But those springs are cheap and it was a good learning experience. I like the fact that the A01 has an actual notch to put it in.

I did that once too LOL.  

Has anyone been able to get the trigger pin out easily?  I know that the pin is tapered and only goes in one way, but I haven’t been able to get it out without totally mangling the pin.

By the looks of the pin, the flared end is on the left side and the pin needs to be driven out right to left.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, Hooked said:

Has anyone been able to get the trigger pin out easily?  I know that the pin is tapered and only goes in one way, but I haven’t been able to get it out without totally mangling the pin.

By the looks of the pin, the flared end is on the left side and the pin needs to be driven out right to left.

Cajun sells a starter punch for removing trigger pins.  That's what I used.  I think any proper sized center punch will work.  Once you have it started with the center punch, you can take it the rest of the way with a regular punch.  I replaced my trigger pin with a Cajun floating trigger pin and reduced trigger return spring. 

• 4 months later...