Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

92X Performance Thumb Safety

robertg5322

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 92X Defensive last week and have been messing w/ it and shot just a few rounds. Biggest problem for me is the huge beavertail. 2nd is the grips. I have an M9A3 and the G10 wrap arounds are perfect for it so of course I think similar for the Defensive. As a test I got to work w/ my dremel on a rubber wrap around set for the M9A3 which I took off when I got the G10s. Got them to just barely fit but found overall they are too big. While the gun had no panels on it I realized that the beavertail problem is much less. I have never had a problem w/ any 92 with trigger reach but the beavertail had me thinking I would try an old Wilson short reach trigger. Did the grips instead. The rubber one didn't work so tried the OEM panels and OEM plastic wrap again. Still don't like that wrap grip. How they got the G10 wrap for the M9A3 so great and effed up this one I don't know. The Defensive wrap grip feels like they sliced a chunk off of a golf ball and glued it on. So I decided I'd try the standard panels but w/ a built up backstrap w/ pieces of skateboard tape. The buildup pieces.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nxWDG4][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52213658887_8996ff46a0_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nxWDG4]20220713_163530[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

The finished job.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ny5iPA][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52215152940_561c642610_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2ny5iPA]20220713_165633[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

I started doing the tape w/ edges captured under the panels a couple of years ago and it has been very good. The tape will slowly lose it's roughness, but it stays in position for ever. A little heatgun helps shape the tape around the curves. So far this is working very well for me. BTW re; LOKS grips. 1- They look like a copy of the OEM golf ball grip and still leave the bottom of the grip hanging out so I am not sure I will like them. 2- I just now checked their website, maybe I missed them but I didn't see any wrap around grips either in the 92X/Vertec or in the 92 Performance section.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bunch of work on my 92X Defensive the last couple of days. Dang this thing is a pain to work on. I sure hope the extra weight is worth it. My plan is to shoot idpa w/ it in SSP. Going to ESP I would have to go back to 10-11 loads in the mags. And now that my wife is shooting her EII w/ me I want to stay w/ her in SSP. First I wanted to install a short reach trigger because that lowered beavertail screws up my trigger reach compared to our other 92s. Had to remove the trigger bar for that which requires removing, or at least moving, the right side safety lever. That requires removing the smallest roll pin I have ever seen. So got that installed and decided to try an LTT trigger bar. So trigger bar and short trigger in and I checked trigger pull before reinstalling the safety levers. Sure glad I checked. The short trigger stays but the LTT bar comes back out. Way back when I started doing LTT TJIBs I really liked the fact that the bar moves the hammer further and trigger breaks at nearly the same spot DA and SA. But now, shooting idpa in SSP the DA pull is very important and the LTT bar added about 1.5#s to the DA pull. So no LTT bar in this gun. I also thought about trying a different hammer but the hammer pivots on a sleeve that remains in place when the safety levers are removed so I decided not to try removing the hammer. To put it back together I needed to install that tiny roll pin. 15 minutes for that one step. I had a boogered up set of G10 grips for a standard frame so decided to try modding them and maybe filling in between them. Way too much work and filling in w/ more tape was just too ugly. So the OE golf ball grip is back in use. I may get a set of the good G10 wrap around grips and do a robertg but the $ is kind of high for something I will have to do so much dremel modding to. Maybe next Beretta sale? BTW I had installed an 11# hammer spring which works fine so far. So I did a bunch of trigger weight measuring of stock, 11# and 12# springs and it seems the stock hammer spring is somewhere between the 11 and 12#. There is a lot I like about this gun but maybe I should have gotten an Elite LTT and saved $600.

5 hours ago, CraigS said:

Re; grips. MGW has a plastic version of the Vertec wrap around grips much less expensive than the G10. I signed in to be notified when they become available.

Beretta 92X Full Size Wrap Around Grips: MGW (midwestgunworks.com)

They fit the 92X, not the 92X Performance.  The texture is excellent.

(I had a craftsman try to modify these grips to fit the 92XP, he couldn't do it to his satisfaction.)

Edited by Stony Lane
additional info

I’ve found that the main difference between SSP and ESP is usually just WHERE you do the reload.  With the new rules (allowing a round in the chamber when dropping a magazine) an odd numbered start 10 +1 can often work better than 15 +1 – with 2 shots per target.  Plus, with ESP you can have a SA first shot, which helps if it’s a longer 1st shot.

On my 92XP Defensive, I polished and the lubed the hammer strut shaft and crown, plus the sear spring ends and pin.  I merely lubed the sear shelf, since it has the DLC.  Just that dropped the SA trigger pull a half pound.  Then, added the 11# hammer spring.  I didn’t go further because I knew, from experience, that removing the safety levers and the trigger bar is a pain. (I was told that the LTT trigger bar needs fitting from LTT to fit properly in the 92xP models.  It is not just a drop-in part.)

I have only shot 3 matches w/ the new rules. I didn't keep track but I think you are generally correct that the rule just changes where I reload. But there were 3-4 stages (of 18) where I didn't need a reload so that was a plus. I forgot to mention that I installed an old but well re-worked hammer strut. I 'think' I will stay in SSP for one other reason, all our home defense 92s are standard models where the first shot will be DA. The Izack Walton we shoot at is not closely tied at all to idpa so I may give ESP a try there some time. The other club is tied to idpa but I don't know the details. I will stay in SSP there. I suspect that using a standard slide on the steel frame wouldn't be legal but I wish it were. I slipped one on and found it would work normally except the decocker didn't function. 

I just got a look at a 92X Performance yesterday.  Weighs a ton.

Why is a gun apparently meant for Production made with a thumb safety?  Are they trying to draw CZ shooters who LIKE to lower the hammer instead of just flipping a regular Beretta dingus?

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

I just got a look at a 92X Performance yesterday.  Weighs a ton.

Why is a gun apparently meant for Production made with a thumb safety?  Are they trying to draw CZ shooters who LIKE to lower the hammer instead of just flipping a regular Beretta dingus?

It was designed by the Italian IPSC shooters for IPSC.  (little or no US input, as I understand)

15 minutes ago, Stony Lane said:

It was designed by the Italian IPSC shooters for IPSC.  (little or no US input, as I understand)

The gun they need to make.   Steel frame (safety levers removed), vertec slide with G saftey-decock levers.

Steel 1.jpg

Stony I tried that but I didn't remove the frame safety levers. The slide levers would not decock the gun. I saw that the slide lever was hitting the frame lever. Looked like it needed a mm or 2 further travel. But then I also noticed that normal 92s have those two tiny levers on the right side top of the frame. One raises the firing pin block and I 'think' the other is what the decocker operates. But there is just one of those levers on the 92X Defensive. I didn't go any further to try to see if the 2nd lever could be added. But I agree. I am perfectly happy w/ my M9A1 idpa pistol but would like the extra weight of the steel frame. 

6 hours ago, CraigS said:

Stony I tried that but I didn't remove the frame safety levers. The slide levers would not decock the gun. I saw that the slide lever was hitting the frame lever. Looked like it needed a mm or 2 further travel. But then I also noticed that normal 92s have those two tiny levers on the right side top of the frame. One raises the firing pin block and I 'think' the other is what the decocker operates. But there is just one of those levers on the 92X Defensive. I didn't go any further to try to see if the 2nd lever could be added. But I agree. I am perfectly happy w/ my M9A1 idpa pistol but would like the extra weight of the steel frame. 

To convert the frame safety gun to slide safety, you would need the hammer pin and also the hammer release assembly (to replace the little spacer).

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this post, but i'm hoping someone can help me with a 92x safety question.

I recently purchased the 92x Carry Optics model.  It came with super small safeties.(Image attached)  I'm assuming this was a change from the wider safeties that were originally coming on the 92x's because of the "not fitting in the box" issue.

I got my hands on an older 92x yesterday and it had safeties that were larger than mine, and I want them.

I tried ordering the XL safeties from Beretta and they are massive.  Much bigger than I would like.  Link here.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-accessories/handguns/kits-parts/beretta-92x-series-safety-assembly-xl/

Would anyone be able to tell me if these "Small" safeties available on Beretta's website are the ones that came on the 92x's originally?  Link here.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-accessories/handguns/kits-parts/beretta-92x-series-safety-assembly-small/

AE05A36A-FEB6-4A01-9775-0801FDBB041C.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Frieday said:

Sorry to resurrect this post, but i'm hoping someone can help me with a 92x safety question.

I recently purchased the 92x Carry Optics model.  It came with super small safeties.(Image attached)  I'm assuming this was a change from the wider safeties that were originally coming on the 92x's because of the "not fitting in the box" issue.

I got my hands on an older 92x yesterday and it had safeties that were larger than mine, and I want them.

I tried ordering the XL safeties from Beretta and they are massive.  Much bigger than I would like.  Link here.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-accessories/handguns/kits-parts/beretta-92x-series-safety-assembly-xl/

Would anyone be able to tell me if these "Small" safeties available on Beretta's website are the ones that came on the 92x's originally?  Link here.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-accessories/handguns/kits-parts/beretta-92x-series-safety-assembly-small/

AE05A36A-FEB6-4A01-9775-0801FDBB041C.jpeg

Mine came with the super wide paddles, the ones on your gun weren't available back then, which is why I had to grind down a $150.00 set of safeties...

I do like those ones on your gun, might have to plunk down another $150.00.