Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 grips

Cowguy

My trojan with factory grips is eating my strong thumb with the slide. Has anyone tried any different grips to help, at the end of a match my gun has blood all over it. In my grip my thumb is on top of the safety just like my executive and I have no problems with it.

Sounds like you need a thumb shield.  Pachmayr used to have one, and Swenson offered a thumb safety that had a shield integral.

I don't know what is currently available, but I think that would work better than new grips.

Yeah, sports-tape really is the easiest, cheapest and prettiest solution. (cause if you put a thumbshield on a 1911, you make it so unattractive, you might as well go shoot a CZ... 😄)

P.S. I also have thumbshields on my 2011 Open gun...☺️

Edited by WFargo

You need either a wider safety that will allow your thumb to rest further out from the slide, or the thumb shield safety as shown. I have had band-aids on my thumb at times for cuts, and it eventually gets chewed up by the serrations of the Trojan's slide. So I dont know how the sports tape would fair.

I radius the left side of all of my 1911/2011 guns at the pointy part of the rear of the slide and at the slide serrations.  This allows the slide to rub but not chew.  Completely solved my problems.  I am not sure why this isn't standard on all 1911/2011 guns.

Y'all must have sharper slides than my trojan. I wore the bluing off from my thumb dragging the slide, but never got scraped by it. OTOH, my new ruger koenig has razor-sharp serrations (and a fairly narrow safety) and I drew blood in the first 50 or so shots. so I did 2 things:

1) I got a little piece of sand paper and dulled the edges of the serrations.

2) I spent a few minutes each dryfire session paying attention to my grip and my thumb to keep it off the slide. Mostly by just thinking about pointing it more forward. 

presto. problem solved.

I run the Double Tap safety that is shielded on mine for that exact reason.  They have them at shootersconnection and they aren't cheap but my thumb used to drag real bad.  I have them on all my limited and single stack guns.  

I should have a set of Ambi double tap safety’s tomorrow. I am getting them fitted Saturday, that should fix it. And no they are not cheap 130 bucks, but the slide is like a shark. I’m still thinking about the tech well grips to keep the grip close to my limited gun.