Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited - Pistol position


Norone
 Share

Recommended Posts

All,

I have had two very knowledgable MDs give opposing answers this evening so its to you all.
-  In Limited, can the butt of the gun, in holster, be below the the top of your belt legally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Norone said:

All,

I have had two very knowledgable MDs give opposing answers this evening so its to you all.
-  In Limited, can the butt of the gun, in holster, be below the the top of your belt legally.

see rule 5.2.7.2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Open rulebook
Ctrl+f
type "butt"
Press enter

The answer will appear. 
 

As you get to know the rulebook knowing what keyword to search for becomes easier. You were on the right track with "butt" but I guess it's easier to post here and wait for some knucklehead to answer (possibly wrongly) than to look it up yourself? I dunno

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2021 at 9:17 PM, waktasz said:

I guess it's easier to post here and wait for some knucklehead to answer (possibly wrongly) than to look it up yourself? I dunno

That's every single IDPA rules thread here.

 

Every.  Single.  One.

 

Which is not surprising because the few times I go play that i hope I get a competent SO, and every time I'm disappointed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Setting up my granddaughter's CO rig. So I may be asking this and get flagged. I have looked at the diagram several times. Basically as long as any top part of the butt of the gun is just above the belt it is good. 

 

To go with the limited question. Is the magwell considered part of the "butt"? I know magwells are not allowed in CO.

 

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Setting up my granddaughter's CO rig. So I may be asking this and get flagged. I have looked at the diagram several times. Basically as long as any top part of the butt of the gun is just above the belt it is good. 

 

To go with the limited question. Is the magwell considered part of the "butt"? I know magwells are not allowed in CO.

 

gerritm

 

5.2.7  Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:

 

5.2.7.1  A shoulder holster or “tie-down” rig (visible or otherwise), except as specified in Rule 5.2.8.

 

5.2.7.2 A holster with the heel of the butt of the handgun below the top of the belt, except as indicated in Rule 5.2.8 for Law Enforcement/Military duty holsters, and approved by the RM.  All handgun divisions must comply with this requirement.

 

The "heel of the butt" of the handgun is the bottom portion of the backside of the grip, near the magwell opening.  If in doubt, check with the CRO or the RM before the first time she shoots to ensure she's in compliance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gerritm said:

Basically as long as any top part of the butt of the gun is just above the belt it is good.

Nope

 

The heel of the grip is what needs to be above the top of the belt.  The heel is literally the bottom of the backstrap.

 

The back of a magwell isn't the heel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2021 at 10:18 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Nope

 

The heel of the grip is what needs to be above the top of the belt.  The heel is literally the bottom of the backstrap.

 

The back of a magwell isn't the heel.

The heel is NOT the bottom of the back strap on all guns as pointed out in the very nice pictures linked (with NROI write up). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2021 at 5:04 AM, Bakerjd said:

The heel is NOT the bottom of the back strap on all guns as pointed out in the very nice pictures linked (with NROI write up). 

 

Good point.  For a more obvious example, examine the "heel of the butt" as it would appear on a S&W Revolver with a round-butt type grip.  That can be rounded all the way down the back to below the bottom of the butt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

 

Good point.  For a more obvious example, examine the "heel of the butt" as it would appear on a S&W Revolver with a round-butt type grip.  That can be rounded all the way down the back to below the bottom of the butt.

Ohh that would have been a perfect picture. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...