Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lighter spring

chetc

my wife has a few 9mm semi pistols, we use to hit the range quite frequent, then 1 1/2 yrs ago she had cancer and had to have a hysterectomy, so far she is doing average.neuropathy is giving some issues now, lost some strength in her hands, which presents a problem for her to rack the slide, so today i bought her a new Smith & Wesson 9mm MP EZ slide, she can handle it good, question i have is, she has a Walthers PPQ  in 9mm and a Kimber 45acp custom target pistol, can i put a lighter spring in either of these guns so that she can rack them, will it damage the gun using regular target loads. any other way out so she can shoot these 2 pistols or am i SOL

chet

Only speaking of the 1911, a 14lb spring is what most use in their 45's when shooting light loads. And change the hammer spring to 17lbs. Kimbers, at least mine from a few years back, use a 23lb hammer spring. You won't damage the gun if you only use target loads with this combo. You can also add a slide racker to the slide, which will really help.

Edited by Postal Bob