Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long did it take you to make GM?

-JCN-

There was an older thread that’s now archived that had some really good advice about making M if you put in the work.

I followed that like gospel and made M within a year of my initial classification. 

Now I’m looking at the next phase and wondering how people in the previous thread have done in the last 3-4 years since the last thread. 

Any advice for making the jump from M to GM?

Edited by -JCN-

10 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

There was an older thread that’s now archived that had some really good advice about making M if you put in the work.

I followed that like gospel and made M within a year of my initial classification. 

Now I’m looking at the next phase and wondering how people in the previous thread have done in the last 3-4 years since the last thread. 

Any advice for making the jump from M to GM?

How serious are you?

8 hours ago, B_RAD said:

How serious are you?

Not very serious, but I enjoy the sport and people a lot and enjoy dry firing. 

I also really enjoy efficiency and the satisfaction of how things feel when they’re slippery smooth and “bam, just right.” 

I’d rather dry fire than watch TV. 

Edited by -JCN-

8 hours ago, -JCN- said:

Not very serious, but I enjoy the sport and people a lot and enjoy dry firing. 

I also really enjoy efficiency and the satisfaction of how things feel when they’re slippery smooth and “bam, just right.” 

I’d rather dry fire than watch TV. 

Hmmm. Sounds like if you’ve already made Master then you’re on the right track. 

I personally think being very serious is vital but our definitions may be different or we may just be misunderstanding each other. 

I think a huge gap to bridge form M to GM is trust vs trying.  Trusting my process was a huge step in performance. This is dependent on working to get the skills to that level but once the work has been done and the skills are there, implementing a process and trusting that, letting things happen instead of trying to force things to happen, is the way. 

13 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I think a huge gap to bridge form M to GM is trust vs trying.  Trusting my process was a huge step in performance. This is dependent on working to get the skills to that level but once the work has been done and the skills are there, implementing a process and trusting that, letting things happen instead of trying to force things to happen, is the way. 

This.  It was less than 2.5yrs for me in open.  I didn't try, it just happened.  Took it serious after about the first year of shooting.

Edited by echotango

I went from M to GM in less than a year the big thing was consistency, it was my second year of actually working at it, I had been a B for about 8 years just playing to play, first year of actual work I went from B to M, I will add I did it in Revo and that is easier as the HHFs are not as hard to reach. 

It took me 18 months to go from Unclassified to GM in Limited Division. Making a GM classification quickly is more about being a "GM" student of yourself than anything else. Knowing how you learn and adjusting your training plan accordingly is the primary skill I am talking about. 

3 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

It took me 18 months to go from Unclassified to GM in Limited Division. Making a GM classification quickly is more about being a "GM" student of yourself than anything else. Knowing how you learn and adjusting your training plan accordingly is the primary skill I am talking about. 

CHA-LEE always says things so well. 

Too quickly. About 20 months from U to GM. GM in Production came in roughly-ish the same timeframe. 

I was shooting about 50k rounds per year from 2000-2009

-I think the "bar" is much much higher now than it was back in 2002. 

-In 2010 or so I petitioned USPSA to move me down from GM to a more reasonable M. They were very accomodating. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 6:48 AM, B_RAD said:

On 3/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Three and a half months later and both these wise gentlemen’s advice has been crucial. 

Been working at improving the skills and studying myself on how most efficiently to design drills that translate into results. 

After another Hundo recently (shot at confident match pace!) I’m sitting at 94.9% still waiting for a few 90s to drop off. 

Still have a lot of work to do on my match performance so focusing there. But the “develop skills in practice and shoot confidently without hesitation or tension” is the best way I can describe it. 

It feels great because on a good day I can do it when I get out of my own head. I’m just working so my mind’s eye has that as a “normal” day rather than a “good” day. 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, konkapot said:

Nick why the long-ish time between M and GM? That progression to M was fantastic.....would have thought that tempo would carry on into GM

Just like practicing any skill, you make huge gains in the beginning and then it takes more and more repetition for incremental gains. The 85% to 95% gap represents that incremental gain delta for most people very well I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I just hit gm today.

Exactly 18 months. 

Anyone can make gm if they make it their only focus. 

My first match was March of 2020. Still to this day I've never shot a level 2 or 3

I'm sure there are plenty of lower classed people who can beat me at matches. I literally made my only focus learning classifiers skills 

There is a difference between getting the gm tag and performing consistently at a gm level

But I guess that's the next part of the game to learn how to compete at that level. 

It's funny. I can't imagine being  M or GM shooter while never having the urge to shoot above a level 1 match. On the flipside I'm a B shooter who shoots 3-5 level 2 or above matches a year but I  can imagine that some shooters think why would I bother to do that.

8 hours ago, MHicks said:

It's funny. I can't imagine being  M or GM shooter while never having the urge to shoot above a level 1 match. On the flipside I'm a B shooter who shoots 3-5 level 2 or above matches a year but I  can imagine that some shooters think why would I bother to do that.

if im being totally honest i just never cared about competing at that level. combined with the hundreds of dollars in gas/hotel/food etc even if you have a sponser you are still going to have to come off some of the costs. i mean unless you are a pro shooter, then you can get everything paid for, but i have no desire to be a media slave for some company, and i make more money in the real world than chasing the pipe dream of full time shooting. 

people ask me "dont you care about where you really stand against the pros"? 

the answer is no not really every time

20 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I just hit gm today.

Exactly 18 months. 

Anyone can make gm if they make it their only focus. 

My first match was March of 2020. Still to this day I've never shot a level 2 or 3

I'm sure there are plenty of lower classed people who can beat me at matches. I literally made my only focus learning classifiers skills 

There is a difference between getting the gm tag and performing consistently at a gm level

But I guess that's the next part of the game to learn how to compete at that level. 

How many matches did you get to per month?