Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 95 gr JHP

I've been using these bullets for a long time for light steel challenge loads. After watching the MG website for almost a year now I've never seen them available. What are the available alternatives that you have found?

Bayou Bullets has a coated 95 grain round nose for 9mm.  (link)  Not finding too many "hard jacket" bullets in that weight.

For my PCC, their 105 grain truncated cone works very well.  We chronoed them at a 94 power factor so I only use them for Steel Challenge.  Shoots very similar to my .22LR carbine.

BC

I tried some of the Bayou 105s with good results. My 95 gr MG loads are around 61 PF and the 105s felt like they were in the same ballpark, but I never chronoed them. I am shooting a shrouded barrel so I would rather not use coated bullets but it may come down to that.

I check MG website daily 😞 

I have an open window for MG and PD that I refresh daily. Maybe multiple times a day. 

Everglades prices have doubled and tripled but they do have some products in stock. 

6 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I check MG website daily 😞 

I have an open window for MG and PD that I refresh daily. Maybe multiple times a day. 

Everglades prices have doubled and tripled but they do have some products in stock. 

Yup,  Everglades does have them, big coin but them have them. With that said I ordered 500 of the 95 FMJ on Wednesday got shipped today FedEx. Ill have it on Tuesday. Very pricey but fast shipping 🙄 

Ill be using them sparingly for sure   

PD has 115 and 147 FMJ's in stock right now. But at $.105 each no thanks. Doesn't look like PD is doing discounts on 2000 or more any longer either. I just assume back order them from RMR at $.089 each.

I guess if you need them now you need them now. I have a pretty good supply of FMJ's and JHP's still. Not what I'd like, but enough to keep me shooting till a back order comes in.

I just ordered a bunch of coated bullets from BBI and Precision Bullets to try incase things don't turn around any time in the near future. First time in about 10 years I've gone back to coated led. Uh.

Who is RMR?

I  like PD bullets. Too bad they don't make the lighter ones. I'll take a look on their website.

Thanks

I just checked PD website. All they have in 115s is FMJ. That's NG for my comped guns.

You are also right about pricing

1 hour ago, tomv said:

Who is RMR?

I  like PD bullets. Too bad they don't make the lighter ones. I'll take a look on their website.

Thanks

Rocky Mountain Reloading

I only run JHP’s in my open gun as well. But I use FMJ’s for pretty much everything else. JHP’s are tough to come by right now. I will use plated 147’s for my suppressed 9MM AR but that’s the only thing I use plated for any more.

I just figured I try the coated lead again for bulk practice pistol ammo. It’s the only real cost effective and available bullet right now. Supposedly the coating process has come a long way in the past 10 years. We’ll see.

PD, MG, Everglades, and RMR all make 115 and 125 JHP, just nothing available right now. Except Everglades. But their prices right now are HIGH. Not faulting or chastising them. Just more than I’m willing to pay. 

MG and Everglades both make 95gr JHP. MG makes the best 95gr JHP IMO they just haven’t been available for a very long time. Both companies are OOS. 

Edited by iflyskyhigh

Did manage a case of MG 115 JHP last month, but nothing on the 95 gr JHP.  I called and

asked if they were making any, they said yes, keep watching the website.   Wife uses them

for a USPSA open minor load, might have to go to FMJ and deal with the comp cleaning 

issues.   Little concerned about pushing a coated/plated at 1400 through a barrel with 

holes.

1 hour ago, open17 said:

Little concerned about pushing a coated/plated at 1400 through a barrel with 

holes.

X-treme bullets makes a heavy plated 9mm bullet which is good for Major power velocities. Watch their website because I've seen that stuff in and out of stock recently.

1 hour ago, tomv said:

X-treme bullets makes a heavy plated 9mm bullet which is good for Major power velocities. Watch their website because I've seen that stuff in and out of stock recently.

I find Xtremes shipping cost to negate any saving.

I have run various manufacturers heavy plated HP’s through my open gun. They work, but the accuracy is not great when you push a plated bullet that fast. 

Edited by iflyskyhigh
On 3/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, tomv said:

Not an issue for me, my SC loads average around 650 fps.

Do you find yourself waiting to hear the ding @ 25yd steel with that load? My 160s are 800 fps and it seems like an eternity some times.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Yup,  Everglades does have them, big coin but them have them. With that said I ordered 500 of the 95 FMJ on Wednesday got shipped today FedEx. Ill have it on Tuesday. Very pricey but fast shipping 🙄 

Ill be using them sparingly for sure   

What OAL are you loading these 95gr bullets too?  Do you have any trouble with the bullets puling out of the case? 

I've run Berry's 100gr hollow base round nose bullets with an OAL of 1.105...  They worked well, but can't get them anymore.

I'm seating them to 1.085. You will definitely have a problem with longer COAL. Mine run 100% at that length.

18 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

What OAL are you loading these 95gr bullets too?  Do you have any trouble with the bullets puling out of the case? 

I've run Berry's 100gr hollow base round nose bullets with an OAL of 1.105...  They worked well, but can't get them anymore.

I normally run 90g Hornady ftx. But unable to find them I'm going to give these a whirl. I'll let you know when I get them 

On 3/22/2021 at 12:58 AM, RaylanGivens said:

Im at 1.08 OAL. with Everglades. Feeds well in my 9's of various makes 

On 3/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, RaylanGivens said:

I’m running the MG 95’s at 1.020” out of my G34. 3.6grs Bullseye @ 1083 FPS. It’s like cheating.