Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Still getting light strikes - Tangfolio Stock 2

j33716

If using factory ammunition we would suspect the gun.

If using reloads, we'll suspect the ammunition, with the primer seating being the main concern.  

Did any rounds fire with a second firing pin strike?  If so, it points to the primer seating needing top be deeper initially.

Primers are 5-8 thousands in. Same press setting for my open loads

Same rounds fire every time in other guns (glock, xd and open)

You can actually see the light strike. It's just not deep or hard enough hit

It's less now with new springs and pin but still a few

What other springs could affect?

3 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

A 14lb hammer spring is a little light. I never heard of anyone going lower than 17lb. Why such a light hammer spring? That may be your problem. Go heavier.

I was following the Ben Stoeger site as they seem to be admired by many for the Tangfolio

I agree, I might go to 15-16

All my 1911/2011 are 17lb

I'm using just the 13lbs wolff hammer spring with stock firing pin & it's popping fiocchies. I didn't put in the included wolff firing pin spring that came with the 13 lbs hammer.

Is your firing pin channel clean & dry? I thought an extended firing pin & 13/14 lbs hammer was supposed to be 100% in tanfos.

1 hour ago, edison said:

I'm using just the 13lbs wolff hammer spring with stock firing pin & it's popping fiocchies. I didn't put in the included wolff firing pin spring that came with the 13 lbs hammer.

Is your firing pin channel clean & dry? I thought an extended firing pin & 13/14 lbs hammer was supposed to be 100% in tanfos.

This is what I thought too. That's why I went there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What has worked for me 100% has been the stock firing pin, PD FP spring (or trimmed OEM), Titan hammer, and 14lb "yellow" PD hammer spring. What you must do is trim the FP spring or use a lighter one so that when the hammer is fully down it is flush with the firing pin stop. Many people have far too strong firing pin springs and their hammers have a hard time overcoming it enough for reliable DA ignition. The firing pin should not be camping the hammer back at all at rest.

This makes the gun not as drop safe, so don't drop your loaded gun.

I've had good luck with this method even on some guns where the hammer spring channel has not been cut to the nominal depth which necessitates cutting coils on a hammer spring so that there is no coil bind.