Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Striker Springs

Flea

Not a gunsmith and apologize if the question is too stupid. Will cutting a few coils off a 5lb spring allow the spring to function properly? Just was wondering if one can achieve a poundage between say a 4.5lb spring and a 5lb spring or between a 4lb spring and a 4.5lb spring for example.

Thx

I can't sanction that, but I will say "People do it all the time.".

Not counting the closed coils, most will do 1.5 to 3 coils, depending on which primers they're using.  Federals can tolerate a lighter spring; CCI's, not so much.

3 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

I can't sanction that, but I will say "People do it all the time.".

Not counting the closed coils, most will do 1.5 to 3 coils, depending on which primers they're using.  Federals can tolerate a lighter spring; CCI's, not so much.

I should have mentioned in my post that I only shoot factory ammo...Federal, Speer, Fiocchi, Remington, Winchester, etc. 115, 124 or 147gr stuff. Does that make a difference in your answer? And what do you mean by the closed coils?

Edited by Flea

18 minutes ago, rooster said:

Get the new Timney trigger and run the 5lb spring. You’ll for sure light any primer, and your pull weight will be around 3lbs. 

I got a Johnny trigger already so I'm not in a hurry to change. I have a G34 Gen 5. I was using a 4.5lb striker spring and have had a few light strikes with some Winchester and Norma then had a sh$t show when shooting some Wolf that I was trying to get rid of. I have a 5lb spring in now and may want to find the spot between 4.5lbs and 5lbs. Why...because why not.

In a pinch yes but you're better off using an unaltered spring so you can stay consistent with round count before replacing.  If you are running Federals with a lightened striker, you can get away with a lot.  If you are running anything else, I definitely recommend figuring out what spring works and using it for half a season to 3/4 of a season before changing it out.

Glocks standard striker spring until recently was 5.5, not sure when they went to 5, but I think it was the gen 5 guns. You should be able to light any primer with 4.5 springs. 4lbs is iffy and much better with a lightened lengthened striker. Wouldn’t recommend cutting coils. I’ve heard of cutting  recoil springs in 1911, 2011 guns to stop spring bind. If your not setting off primers with a 5lb spring something else is wrong. Maybe channel liner.

Take a 5lb. spring, put a few thousand rounds through it, and boom, you've got a 4.75lb. spring 😉.  Really there's not enough difference in trigger feel between 4.5lb. and 5lb. springs to go through the trouble of trying to get in between.  And if you're getting light strikes with 4.5lb. spring it's probably best to go all the way to 5lbs.  Although you really shouldn't be getting slight strikes with a 4.5lb. spring and factory ammo.  Maybe you need to clean out striker channel, or have too many rounds through that spring?

Also FYI, the difference between a 4.5lb. and 5lb. spring isn't that the 5lb. spring has extra coils.  The spring itself is made differently to have the different weight.  So while cutting a few coils off might work, that's not how it's designed.

9 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Take a 5lb. spring, put a few thousand rounds through it, and boom, you've got a 4.75lb. spring 😉.  Really there's not enough difference in trigger feel between 4.5lb. and 5lb. springs to go through the trouble of trying to get in between.  And if you're getting light strikes with 4.5lb. spring it's probably best to go all the way to 5lbs.  Although you really shouldn't be getting slight strikes with a 4.5lb. spring and factory ammo.  Maybe you need to clean out striker channel, or have too many rounds through that spring?

Also FYI, the difference between a 4.5lb. and 5lb. spring isn't that the 5lb. spring has extra coils.  The spring itself is made differently to have the different weight.  So while cutting a few coils off might work, that's not how it's designed.

Interesting. I have about 2,000 rounds on the 4.5lb spring. At what round count is it suggested to change the striker spring?

18 hours ago, rooster said:

Glocks standard striker spring until recently was 5.5, not sure when they went to 5, but I think it was the gen 5 guns. You should be able to light any primer with 4.5 springs. 4lbs is iffy and much better with a lightened lengthened striker. Wouldn’t recommend cutting coils. I’ve heard of cutting  recoil springs in 1911, 2011 guns to stop spring bind. If your not setting off primers with a 5lb spring something else is wrong. Maybe channel liner.

If I use a channel liner tool to pull out the liner to inspect it, does that make the channel liner no good to reinstall? Does the tool screw up the inside of the liner?

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Interesting. I have about 2,000 rounds on the 4.5lb spring. At what round count is it suggested to change the striker spring?

I've never pushed it to see how long a 4.5lb spring will last. Springs are pretty cheap. I change them about every 5k rounds. An OEM 5.5lb spring can go probably 50k rounds without changing, I know people who have even more than that on them. But with lighter spring I replace them before I'll start getting light strikes.

Also not all springs are created equal. I've gotten some light strikes in past with 4.5lb springs that came with some trigger kits, I forget which. But I've replaced them with Wolff 4.5lb springs and those have all worked great.

You cannot reuse a channel liner. The tool destroys it. You can use a 5/16 lag bolt to remove but you need the install tool to put back in the new liner. It has a shoulder and a step so you don’t screw it up installing. There is a small bevel on the liner and it goes into slide first. You can also chuck up a 22 caliber mop and put some flitz on it and polish the inside. The ones from Lonewolf are a different plastic and are already nice and polished.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, Flea said:

I got a Johnny trigger already so I'm not in a hurry to change. I have a G34 Gen 5. I was using a 4.5lb striker spring and have had a few light strikes with some Winchester and Norma then had a sh$t show when shooting some Wolf that I was trying to get rid of. I have a 5lb spring in now and may want to find the spot between 4.5lbs and 5lbs. Why...because why not.

Based on the feedback that's been coming in, the Timney trigger is noticeably better than the JG trigger and a good bit cheaper too.  Now might be a good time to sell the JG trigger because the Timney trigger is on track to become the Glock competition trigger.  That'll make it hard to recover what's been spent on the JG trigger in the used market as time goes on.  Maybe it doesn't matter to you but I think it's worth considering.

I think the Timney has upped the game considerably. If you want a 1911 trigger in a Glock this is as close as your going to get. Not cocking the striker is where most of your pull originates. I have three competition glocks and over the last few years I have gone through 2 apex, three overwatch, 3 SSVI TYR,  1 JG, a slew of connectors, assorted springs, and I don’t know what else chasing the ultimate Glock trigger.  This might just be the end of my journey. I might have to buy one more for my gen 3 34, but that trigger is pretty nice and I don’t shoot that one as much. And to boot it’s stock with mods done to the bar and housing to reduce take up and overtravel. This topic has been excellent.

oh yeah, if anybody wants to buy a bunch of trigger components let me know.

Edited by rooster
Add text

3 hours ago, rooster said:

I think the Timney has upped the game considerably. If you want a 1911 trigger in a Glock this is as close as your going to get. Not cocking the striker is where most of your pull originates. I have three competition glocks and over the last few years I have gone through 2 apex, three overwatch, 3 SSVI TYR,  1 JG, a slew of connectors, assorted springs, and I don’t know what else chasing the ultimate Glock trigger.  This might just be the end of my journey. I might have to buy one more for my gen 3 34, but that trigger is pretty nice and I don’t shoot that one as much. And to boot it’s stock with mods done to the bar and housing to reduce take up and overtravel. This topic has been excellent.

oh yeah, if anybody wants to buy a bunch of trigger components let me know.

I have a JG and a Timney and both are approximately 3# 6 oz. I have not fired the Timney and expect it to get better.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:24 PM, JBP55 said:

I have a JG and a Timney and both are approximately 3# 6 oz. I have not fired the Timney and expect it to get better.

Is that pull weight for both JG and Timney with the OEM striker spring?

For a G34 Gen 5. How does the pull weight compare between a JG and the Timney? What about take-up? How does the break compare? How does the reset compare?

On 3/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, Michael303 said:

Based on the feedback that's been coming in, the Timney trigger is noticeably better than the JG trigger and a good bit cheaper too.  Now might be a good time to sell the JG trigger because the Timney trigger is on track to become the Glock competition trigger.  That'll make it hard to recover what's been spent on the JG trigger in the used market as time goes on.  Maybe it doesn't matter to you but I think it's worth considering.

Better shoot that Timney first before you sell that JG trigger. Until I can get a more positive reset on the Timney the JG trigger is still my go to. But to each his own. 

I think you can get a better trigger than the Timney. If you get the trigger housing from Vanek that has the pretravel and overtravel screws, and know how to shape the vertical extension so you don’t compromise the safeties, and change a few springs and connectors. You will have a pretty good trigger in the 2.5 lb range. But that’s a lot of trial and error, or you pay someone around 2 hundred bucks to do it. The Timney changed the game offering a drop in trigger at 3lbs using a 5lb striker spring. Not cocking the striker was pretty ingenious, but IIRC Walther did it a few years back. So the idea was already implanted and nobody saw that it could be done on a Glock. Kudos to Timney.