Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division for Staccato DUO?


Recommended Posts

I want to get some mileage on a new Staccato C2 DUO I picked by shooting a couple of local matches with it.  

 

The new 2021 rules changes prompted me to download the updated the rulebook and it still looks like an single-action only gun with a red dot is still only allowed in the open division.  ....am I right about that?

 

- No red dots in the limited division

- Production excludes guns single-action only and guns with magwells

- Carry optics still excludes SAO

 

I guess that leaves the "concealed carry" Staccato C2 running in the open division with full blown race guns.  

I suppose coming in dead last isn't so bad if I'm getting valuable trigger time and experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BangSwitch said:

I suppose coming in dead last isn't so bad if I'm getting valuable trigger time and experience.

 

I beat open guys with a single-stack gun all the time. You won't come in dead last unless all the open competitors at your club are as good or better shooters than you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this always drives me nuts,

 

I want to come shoot my carry gun in USPSA, but I would have to shoot open or limited and my (insert not a 2011 race gun here) can't keep up with those race guns. 

Do you want to shoot your carry gun at a match or do you want to try to win a match? these are not the same thing. If you want to win train and buy the equipment needed, if you want to shoot your carry gun then shoot open or limited with the rig you have and don't complain. 

Regardless unless you are very good to begin with you are going to get beat no matter what division you shoot, the guy that used to run our new shooter orientation told everyone to check their ego at the gate because they were going to get beat by kids and little old ladies for a while.

 

PS I once shot a match with my 44spl 5 shot revo with speed loaders, yep it was rough and I didn't beat many people but I got what I came for.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone is correct on the rules. 

 

I will add: I have shot my carry gun/holster at a few matches, and started from concealment. I think everyone should do it every once in awhile. It's a real eye opener. 

Edited by HCH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

+1 to the difference between "I want to win a match" and "I want to shoot what I've brung [sic]." 

 

More importantly, "winning a match" is a way more involved process than a simple "I want/wish." Those who can win matches of any meaningful size are also those who can do magic with sub-optimal guns - remember, to be fast you have to *move* efficiently, you have to *transition* efficiently, you have to shoot *sooner* and leave positions *earlier*, etc. Absolutely none of these depend on which gun you are shooting. Only if you're losing to the top guys by a few seconds does it matter what your splits are, and splits are pretty much the only thing that will be different between different guns with the same sights. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Definitely shoot your Staccato.

We are here to compete and enjoy ourselves.

I bought two Wilson Combat EDC x9s a short while back and carry one of them every day. So, I want to shoot them and challenge the COFs with them.

Advice is 1. At the end of the day. Don't look at the scores. You will know generally how you shot.

and 2. Ignore your classification average as it is going to go down.

I look forward to shooting the 9s in Limited but force myself to follow advice 1. and 2.

Edited by p7fl
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 4:10 PM, MikeBurgess said:

this always drives me nuts,

 

I want to come shoot my carry gun in USPSA, but I would have to shoot open or limited and my (insert not a 2011 race gun here) can't keep up with those race guns. 

Do you want to shoot your carry gun at a match or do you want to try to win a match? these are not the same thing. If you want to win train and buy the equipment needed, if you want to shoot your carry gun then shoot open or limited with the rig you have and don't complain. 

Regardless unless you are very good to begin with you are going to get beat no matter what division you shoot, the guy that used to run our new shooter orientation told everyone to check their ego at the gate because they were going to get beat by kids and little old ladies for a while.

 

PS I once shot a match with my 44spl 5 shot revo with speed loaders, yep it was rough and I didn't beat many people but I got what I came for.

 

This!  It should be required reading before shooting you first match.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BangSwitch said:

Thanks guys - I found a holster that it would fit in and shot it at a local match.  It was my first time running a gun with a dot under match conditions.  I was impressed!

 

Do tell!  What went well?  What did you learn you needed to work on at your first match?

 

And the important question: Are you going back for more?  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mreed911 said:

Do tell!  What went well?  What did you learn you needed to work on at your first match?

 

And the important question: Are you going back for more?  :)

My dry fire practice paid dividends.  I was able to acquire the dot quickly and didn't twist the gun around trying to find the dot. 
Precision shots on 5" wide knockdowns with a dot was a lot easier than with irons.

 

In really quick transitions with multiple targets in the same port I did lose the dot.  ...but it didn't seem to matter much since they were close enough to just slap the trigger at keep moving.  I didn't take time to find the dot, I just relied on skeletal alignment.  

 

It was good time - great practice!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, BangSwitch said:

My dry fire practice paid dividends.  I was able to acquire the dot quickly and didn't twist the gun around trying to find the dot. 
Precision shots on 5" wide knockdowns with a dot was a lot easier than with irons.

 

In really quick transitions with multiple targets in the same port I did lose the dot.  ...but it didn't seem to matter much since they were close enough to just slap the trigger at keep moving.  I didn't take time to find the dot, I just relied on skeletal alignment.  

 

It was good time - great practice!  

Glad you had a good time.  The C2 is a great gun, and even if you're not competitive in open division it still shouldn't prevent you from having fun and testing your skills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...