Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on buying an Open gun

d3ydx3

My first and last open gun is a CZ Czechmate! When all the custom guys are sending there guns back and forth to get them tuned ( shooting). The CZ just keeps on going. It shoots Major and Minor well, comes with all you need at half the price! Do yourself a favor and look at and buy the CZ Czechmate and never look back. Just my .02 JD 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also recommend to check out the Bul Armory Open Race Guns: the SAS2 Ultimate Racer and/or the SAS 2 Bullesteros, both in 9mm. They come out of the box, ready to shoot. Price/quality = good and high value, certainly when compared to the custom race guns. In fact, if you're serious about competing in open, I recommend 2 race guns, 1 for training (and back up) and 1 for matches.

4 hours ago, JDIllon said:

My first and last open gun is a CZ Czechmate! When all the custom guys are sending there guns back and forth to get them tuned ( shooting). The CZ just keeps on going. It shoots Major and Minor well, comes with all you need at half the price! Do yourself a favor and look at and buy the CZ Czechmate and never look back. Just my .02 JD 

I personally agree with this and have a pair of Czechmates that I've been shooting for the last 1.5 years and done well with. I personally really value that the skill bar for working on them and swapping parts is really low so I never have to worry about being MIA while my gun spends 3 months with the builder waiting on a fix. I encourage everyone I talk to interested in Open to give it a look but I make sure to be honest about three things up front: (1) you need to tune the mags to get them reliable, especially the 170s, (2) they don't play nice with JHPs, I had feeding issues with my big sticks even after tuning but after switching to RN those problems have completely disappeared for ~10k rounds, (3) the safety ergonomics are not for everyone and they should try mine out before they buy one.

I'm also very up front that I do everything I can to help the gun run reliably; plunk test every round that comes to the match, visually verify primers are fully seated, clean my mags every few matches, preventatively swap big-stick springs, etc. From what I have seen, my Czechmates run more reliably than the Atlas, Nevermiss, & JPL guns that I see regularly at our local matches, but I really don't know what those folks do as far as preventative prep for reliability, so I can't say definitively that Czechmates are more reliable than those builds, only that mine with my prep is more reliable than theirs with their prep. I certainly don't feel held back and don't regret my choice. In any case, I would much rather have a new Czechmate than a used 2011 of questionable build quality/origin/usage, which is probably what you're going to get for the price of a Czechmate. It's not going to hold most folks back and dramatically lowers the barrier of entry. 

5 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I also recommend to check out the Bul Armory Open Race Guns: the SAS2 Ultimate Racer and/or the SAS 2 Bullesteros, both in 9mm. They come out of the box, ready to shoot. Price/quality = good and high value, certainly when compared to the custom race guns. In fact, if you're serious about competing in open, I recommend 2 race guns, 1 for training (and back up) and 1 for matches.

Already bought one... see above posts. 🙂

I’ve shot my Czechmate for over 5 years with no problems. Just regular cleaning and a snake through the bore after each shoot. I had 2 Czechmates for couple of years as a backup,but never used it. I go to events every weekend and see a lot of problems with other open guns. I’m sure there are a lot of other good guns. But it sure seems like some of them are really high maintenance. Do your home before buying! Having a gun that spends more time in for tuning than on the range shooting is not good! Beware of guns that have lots of bling! JD 

On 5/1/2021 at 1:03 AM, JDIllon said:

I’ve shot my Czechmate for over 5 years with no problems. Just regular cleaning and a snake through the bore after each shoot. I had 2 Czechmates for couple of years as a backup,but never used it. I go to events every weekend and see a lot of problems with other open guns. I’m sure there are a lot of other good guns. But it sure seems like some of them are really high maintenance. Do your home before buying! Having a gun that spends more time in for tuning than on the range shooting is not good! Beware of guns that have lots of bling! JD 

You're right. I also clean and lube my open guns after every training and match. So far, no issues with any of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update... I'm still using AA7. Switching from the Winchester 124 FMJs to the Everglades 124gr JHP V2 bullets seems to have reduced the cornmeal significantly. Still dirty, but a lot less cornmeal. I'm still seating at the same 1.160" OAL. The Winchester FMJs were around 0.595" and the Everglades JHPs are 0.575-0580", so I don't think there's a notable pressure difference to get more burn. In fact, I would assume there is less pressure. My only guess is the FMJs had some type of lacquer/wax coating on the base of the bullet that I suspect might have caused the cornmeal.

Edited by pealandco