Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Sig P320 Max Michel CO Legal

CocoBolo

According to my search of the rules it is a fat boy and won't pass the weigh in.  Maybe it could make it with out the mag well that needs to be removed to be legal.

I'm considering giving up Open and moving to carry optics, at $1599 it seems to be pretty darn cheap with the 4 21rd mags.  But no sense buying it if I can't shoot it in a match. 

Does anyone know if it is legal or is in the process of being approved?

Just now, Chrisyoung said:

I don't think the 21 round mag it's comes with will pass the mag gauge just a heads up.

It won’t with the stock base pad but will pass the gauge if you use a TTI mag extension. You can also shave a little bit off of the stock base pad. Because of the slight variances on the magazine tubes, some mags with the stock base pads pass the gauge and some don’t.

The 21 round mags that comes with the Max Michel 320 are the same mags that came with the original X5.

21 hours ago, George16 said:

It won’t with the stock base pad but will pass the gauge if you use a TTI mag extension

I had to knock the very back corners of the feed lips on the 21 round Sig mag using the TTI +2 bass pads on about 50 % of my 21 round mags for them to pass the gage. I mean just the smallest amount, but they would not have passed if I did not do that. Others have had to do the same. 

The key is making sure you measure all of the 21 round Sig mag tubes you use regardless if base pad before heading to a level 2 or higher match. 

I am selling Qty: 8, TTI +2 base pads in Titanium Gray for anyone with Sig P320, 21 round magazines. Let me know if anyone is interested. 

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, JakeMartens said:

The current magazines shipped with the P320MAX fit the gauge

Sig was aware of the issue.  They may have tightened up QC for the new mags coming off the line. 

Any mag I take to a Level 2 or above I measure to make sure I wont get bumped to open.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

That's what i figured--certainly have read the rules, but the MAX page on the SIG website touts this as a CO gun

I have 3 of them and 3 unused magwells sitting on a shelf....  Just wait.  They will become legal some day. 

Edited by echotango

20 minutes ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

is the better choice an XFive Legion with an optic on it?  

Pretty similar. I had legions prior. It does feel a tad different(better imo), assuming from the weight distribution of the slide. Does not have the holes in top of the slide, however the same weight. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2021 at 3:59 PM, funkymonkey1111 said:

SIG website touts this as a CO gun

Magwells are allowed for CO in IDPA as I understand it.  Maybe not the size of the one that comes with the Max or X5 Legions, but the are allowed as long as the gun fits in the box.  Springer Precision sells a magwell for these guns that is IDPA compliant.

2 hours ago, Benelli-Benn said:

So the P320 XFive Legion - 21 round mag with TTI +2 base plate is legal? Any word on the rules being updated to include magwells?

thanks, 

It is legal if it fits the gauge.

The point people are trying to make is that you are likely going to be right at the edge of the legal length limit.

Some people will be under; some right there; some over.

I have numerous older 21 round mags. With TTI+2 base pads most of them required a slight modification to fit the gauge.

A very small amount off of the rear of the feed lips did the trick. But without that I'd have been bumped to open at the next equipment check.

Edited by ddc