Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most common S&W for Classic Div?

I think that the S&W 686/586 is the most common, some use the Model 66 and 19's,  this is the one division that Colt and Ruger both have guns that can be used as well but there are other brands out there for less $ if you can find the supporting equipment for them , speedloaders and holsters.

Edited by mchapman

I would lean towards the 686, for sure.  Would prefer a 5" barrel (as is my 625 and 627) but, alas, S&W makes only 4" and 6".  I suppose one of those would work.  Probably costly to have a 6" cut down to 5".  

Speedloaders?  I suspect the Safariland Comp III rules.  But Jetloaders?  

1 hour ago, varminter22 said:

And finally, does the .38 Short Colt work okay in the Safariland Comp III (stock and/or modified)?  

No, the 38 Short Colt is too short for the Safariland Comp IIIs.  I've tried it even in my cut down ones.  You may be able to get away with 38 Long though.

1 hour ago, varminter22 said:

And finally, does the .38 Short Colt work okay in the Safariland Comp III (stock and/or modified)?  

I actually prefer 357 magnum cases for unmodified Comp III's.  

38 Short Colts in a Speed Loader are short enough to barely reach the cylinder holes.

Thanks, guys.  

I may talk myself out of getting into the M686/Classic Div business. 

I have a good supply of Starline .38 Short Colt brass, but believe it or not I haven't owned a piece of .38 Spec or .357 brass in many years.  And I do love my M627 and M625.  

Even though it's not optimum, I can always shoot my M24-3 Lew Horton .44 Spec in Classic Div when the notion strikes me.  With its 3" barrel, it's far from optimum and I don't get along well with the Safariland Comp II speedloaders, but it is fun shootin' revolver.  

Thanks again.