Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here's to hoping I win

Bakerjd

Well my local Cabelas got a Ruger 10/22 target lite in today while I was there and I got the check it out. I fell in love with it almost. I have been looking at them the Tacsol, and VQ 10/22's for a little bit while trying to decide if I just want to go and do a full build or not. I've decided that while the one I want to build is a bit lighter and would have all the parts I chose I have no idea if I'll even like shooting a rifle. I've shot rifles plenty while I was in the Navy but never fpr any competition type stuff. So I'm going to get the much cheaper ruger 10/22 target lite and do a few upgrades if I decide I like it. I'm sure it can do everything I want and not cost me a lot of money to find out it's no fun. My only hold back was having never held one with the thumb hole stock. I have some issues with my wrists that keep me from enjoying the standard rifle stock design so I knew that was not an option. But the thumb hole stock is quite comfortable. And it's not a right hand only design. All the VQ ones I've been able to find were and it had me assuming that all thumb hole stock were either right or left handed. Now that I have that part figured out I wanted to do some review reading on this particular model and came to find out that make it in a bright red stock, I like flashy guns. So I go on gunbroker expecting to find one but at least 1.5x more expensive. Nope, found one where the bid was around $350 and set my max bid. So here's to hoping i wake up tomorrow for work and have won. If not i at least know i like them enough to either buy the one at Cabelas if they still have it or bid on another. 

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Woohoo I won it! Now off to spend some money on a sight, and some extra mags. 

Josh,

Congrats and welcome to RFRO division.....

For mags, I'd recommend staying away from the Ruger 25 round BX-25 as it tends to jam and doesn't come apart to clean.

Take a look at Tandemkross Double Cross magazine shells.  You still need to buy the standard Ruger magazines (6 of 'em) as you need the "guts" from those to put together the three Double Crosses for SC.  Or you can buy their upgraded ones (Double Shot) that already come with the internals.  

Their magazine assembly toolkit is well worth the money.  Makes re-assembly simple and easy.  And these magazines do require cleaning as the feed lips sit right under the front of the bolt.  They catch quite a bit of burnt powder which can cause mis-feeds if not maintained.

BC

THIS what Bill said... Regular 10 rd mags as a minimum and re tune them   to TK spec's or better yet as Bill said the double or triples will serve you well

Best of luck and have fun  Oh if you go with the black here is a tip to tell if you have a full mag... drill a hole to show the 10th shell... I also mark a tension index as a reference to get a consistent spring tension when cleaning 

full mag indicator hole.jpg

3 hours ago, xpierrat said:

I also mark a tension index as a reference to get a consistent spring tension when cleaning 

Agree with @xpierrat on the tensioner markings.  Under tightening or over tightening that assembly nut can cause problems.  That is where the Tandemkross tool kit comes in handy. Video link to the takedown tool usage.

In the picture, the black plastic pieces are a loader and unloader kit from Maglula.  Another helpful tool when dealing with the small .22LR rounds.

BC

maglula.jpg

Congratulations !     Much great advice here on building out your rifle. 

In addition to 'the machinery'  one area to spend some time on is dryfire training.   While they make official scaled down steel challenge banners, you can improvise with various targets.   Put them on your basement / garage wall and get your first shot sequence down packed.   Using a phone dryfire timer I find works great.    Practicing builds tremendous confidence and so much of the game is confidence and positive outlook.  Shooting the stages over and over and being 100% familiar with your equipment will build confidence and improve scores. 

Don't get me wrong, I luv new 'stuff' just like everyone !

7 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Or you can buy their upgraded ones (Double Shot) that already come with the internals.

Bear in mind you have to assemble the mags with TK parts, so you WILL need the assembly tool.  If you get 6 double mags worth like I did, you'll spend half an hour just opening all the plastic bags.  They take them right off the shelf and staple one kits worth of everything together.  The TK internals work every bit as well as the Ruger guts.  The TK nylon ramp feeds more smoothly that the metal Ruger part.

Thanks everyone. I ordered one of the TK doublecross and one of the triple mag setups. I assume the rifle comes with at least one mag so that will give me six mags total. The kits I ordered came with all the TK guts as well. I also got their assembly tool, "game changer" comp, and picitiny rail. Ordered the holosun HS403B, it looks basicly like the Sig Romeo 5. I'm very excited to shoot this. 

While on the topic of accessories for the 10/22 format may I ask what others here are using for your 10 round mag holders...I shoot a Switchbolt 10/22 and utilize the standard 10 round BX-1 Ruger mags with the TK base pad extensions for easier insertion and removal but today I walk up to the shooting box with six mags in one hand that I set on the barrel top or small piece of wood acting as the shooters table and my cased rifle in the other.  Was thinking there is a better way - I have seen “trays” that hold the mags and also belt rigs.....

Wanted to ask what others in the RFR(x) divisions are using....Thanks Mark

Husky 6 in. 6-compartment waterproof storage bin.  (<-- use that to search the Home Depot website if the Link doesn't work)  $6.47

This one holds all 3 of my DoubleCross magazines along with the loader and unloader.  There are others that are bigger that I use for the 9mm Glock mags that go in the carbine.

BC

Husky.jpg

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Thanks guys - I am going to try the Home Depot container first but will look at the belt options as a future plan...Thanks again to both of you for taking time to provide feedback...Mark 

PM me for details

DblKrs-01.jpg

Edited by 10mmdave